El Camino-A Breaking Bad Movie

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There are some movies which should never have been made IMHO

Case in point was the movie sequel to my favorite western of all time -Deadwood. Loved the series.IMO the movie was a flop

Well along comes the movie sequel of my all time TV series Breaking Bad, El Camino-A Breaking Bad Movie

What could be so bad. It's all about Jesse Brinkman looking for his end game and a way out of the mess he and Walter White created. Plus it was written and directed by Vince Gilligan, the creator of Breaking Bad and it was all of 2 hours running time

Well IMO this one was an absolute stinker even though there are some Easter eggs to be found in the film plus an ending open to interpretation.

To me this was an utter waste of time and a huge thumb's down

Last edited:
Reactions: mulveling

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Interesting. I rarely watch TV, and never watched Breaking Bad. On another forum a lot of posters are raving about how good this is. Oh well. I guess I will never watch it. Thanks.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Just watched El Camino. Totally disagree with Steve.

This is wonderful and like watching 3 episodes of Breaking Bad.
Ties up completely what happens to Jesse after the end of Breaking Bad.

Watch it and enjoy.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I revered the show, it's arguably the greatest tv drama of all time. However, I found the last episode frustrating and hard to pin down. That was actually a strength, a total artistic vision by the creator not to dumb down to formal tying up of ends. But I still struggled a bit with it. If El Camino does go for traditional closure (for one character at least), does it sell out the vision?

People still argue over the end of The Prisoner from over 50 years ago, that one infamously non conventional too.

Steve Williams

As I said Breaking Bad was my favorite all time favorite TV series. I was totally underwhelmed by the story which went slower than molasses on a winter's day.I'm glad you enjoyed. To me it was a total waste of time and served no purpose. FWIW, Jesse was my wife's favorite character in Breaking Bad. She was totally disappointed with the 2 hour movie. It should never have been made. I also thought that Jesse Pinkman's role was overacted and somewhat melodramatic in spots.

I was totally disappointed

Alaska seems to me a place where these series send their villains as IIRC Dexter in the last episode fled to Alaska

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Never revisit an old date, huh Steve? Well, esp since you're married Lol.

But seriously, what IS the point?
Question - had there been an extra few eposodes of BB planned at the time, sans WW, is THIS what they would have planned for Jesse?

There's a double sin here. A superfluous fleshing out of his story, and the impossible to avoid artistic compromise that all the team are older, and they're bringing false perspective on a character on a timeline set right at the time of the finale.

Maybe it would have been more authentic to find Jesse 5 years down the line, and have a snapshot of his life having led to this point.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Just watched the movie. I agree with Steve. It is bad. Snail pace, boring and too much flashbacks. Waste of times. Such a let down.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Slow yes but I the wife and I enjoyed it. It definitely left openings yo, for future episodes. Who was the letter to (his parents or brother, maybe Walters family), what happened with skinny (your like my hero and shit) and his com padre. What happens with his parents once they find out Jesse is up to his usual shenanigans?
Church!

New series Breaking Dexter

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
BB was ok. After a while his relationship with his assistant got stretched and overdone, and in series 3 or 4, can't recollect, they started putting in fillers just to stretch it and the characters started acting a bit out of character.

I think people get attached to series too much, all are good in seasons. 24 season 5 and Dexter 3 and 4 were my favorite, after which both went downhill. BB tried to make everything one big continuous story and lost its way. Trollhunters is possibly the best overall getting better in its last season

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There is zero filler in BB.

Trollhunters? Do me a favour.

Steve Williams

Sometimes it is good to let sleeping dogs lie. Aaron Paul hasn’t had a decent acting role since Jesse and I thought he milked and overacted his part in some scenes. I loved Saul and his role in BB but I tried to cozy up to Call Saul and for me it just wasn’t the same and I could never get into it

so yes I’m guessing Vince Gilligan will have some more feathers to pull out of his hat. For me Breaking Bad ended perfectly. I was really looking forward to El Camino but it just didn’t deliver for me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is zero filler in BB.

Trollhunters? Do me a favour.

Have you watched troll hunters or are you now emotionally defending a tv series like you do Zus

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've seen a few episodes. Won't be getting emotionally invested in that.

I don't need to defend BB. Steve and others will do that w no prompting.
There's no filler in BB, so you'll need to find some other criticism. And your continued barbs at me of being emotionally invested in stuff as tacit criticism reflects more on you than it does me. So please, carry on.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've seen a few episodes. Won't be getting emotionally invested in that.

I don't need to defend BB. Steve and others will do that w no prompting.
There's no filler in BB, so you'll need to find some other criticism. And your continued barbs at me of being emotionally invested in stuff as tacit criticism reflects more on you than it does me. So please, carry on.

Trollhunters was excellent. It's third season is the best And the boys first season is very good.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sometimes it is good to let sleeping dogs lie. Aaron Paul hasn’t had a decent acting role since Jesse and I thought he milked and overacted his part in some scenes. I loved Saul and his role in BB but I tried to cozy up to Call Saul and for me it just wasn’t the same and I could never get into it

so yes I’m guessing Vince Gilligan will have some more feathers to pull out of his hat. For me Breaking Bad ended perfectly. I was really looking forward to El Camino but it just didn’t deliver for me.
It is fascinating how it works out for actors. A number of well known candidates turned down the role of WW, seeing it as ambiguous in their view of their career or killing future roles. Most American actors will not play the bad guy (which is why nearly every Big Bad in "24" was British Lol).

WW turned out to be a totally iconic character, one of the absolutely greatest studies of the nature of evil ever, and as Sir Anthony Hopkins said, the greatest acting performance he's witnessed, on stage and screen, BAR NONE.

It's too bad the actor playing Jesse couldn't roll with it, I don't know if he's artistically satisfied in being a great foil and a critical element in the greatest ensemble ever in a tv drama.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Trollhunters was excellent. It's third season is the best And the boys first season is very good.
Hated The Boys. Just stop it already w the Mockney accents delivered at top volume.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
It was fun to watch the characters of the beloved BB and relive some of it. But this movie was just too slow.

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing