treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
What have you done?

More bass.
More articulate bass.
Loss of the unwanted artifacts as the volume goes up.
Better sound stage.
The sense of "being there".
More air.
Better depth.
Less depth.
Perfect reproduction of instruments.
Less bloom.
More bloom.
Heavy hitting frequencies.
Less of certain frequencies.
More linearity.
Better vocals.
Impact.
Overall enjoyment of your rig.

What say you?

Tom

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That says it all for me Tom. I've done far more listening for enjoyment rather than listening for all of the things you have listed above.

I agree with Steve. "Overall enjoyment of the rig." It is no longer about particular system attributes, but the overall pleasure of listing to music. In is about retrieving more of what is on the recording and having an overall more natural and convincing listening experience. This is the result of the return of a rebuilt cartridge and continuous efforts to adjust and fine tune what I already have. "That last 5%" is from adjustments rather than from buying new and better stuff.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm with Steve and Peter. And even though I've bought a few things lately, my decisions are based on enjoyment factor ...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
My apologies gentlemen. What I meant to ask what what have you done to specifically achieve the betterment of the things listed.

Tom

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My apologies gentlemen. What I meant to ask what what have you done to specifically achieve the betterment of the things listed.

Tom

For me careful room treatments and placement ditto on speaker placement (down to 1/8 inch side to side and front to back on speaker positioning) #1 here in my book. Careful choices on power cabling and vibration control next...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nothing specifically really, but let me answer by taking you in a different direction that let's me have the 5% on many occasions. I look and buy better pressings. When listening, the combination of my gear and those better pressings ups my level of enjoyment immeasurably. It also tells me by default that my system is capable of more, and that (for me) is a welcoming thought.

I wouldn't know how to tackle each or some of the examples you gave, but I would say that lowering the noise floor in my system could get me a couple of percentage points.

tedtag

Jul 19, 2016
Georgia
I have to say that speaker/room interactions are at the very top of my list. If that's not done right the true potential of the gear or just about any other effort to improve the system will be compromised. And I'm also a firm believer that getting the speaker/room interactions right is really a matter of art as well as science, and includes the "tortured artist" syndrome while digging into that often frustrating process!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Since I agree that the most important item in getting the most of my system is the room/speaker interaction, modifying/adjusting Dirac target curves and the PEQ's I can use in addition has done the most to improve my system. Short of replacing the speakers, every other change or tweak pales in comparison --- and the only thing this cost is my time (and the odd looks/comments I get from my wife!). And indirectly related, getting the LFE/Mains interface dialed in (adjusting crossover types/slope/frequency and HP/LP filters.

I somewhat envy those who can just "enjoy" their system. I have a bit of the disease that Marty suffers from (or at least use to) and that is constant "diddling". I have yet to hear any system (mine or any other) that can't use a bit of help - and Dirac has been just the ticket for me (and the balm that addresses my OCDness!!)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Fine tuning (balancing) the bass from my two subwoofers with the mains and the room's acoustics. ...Fifty percent plus major sound improvement difference.
Nothing else compares.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
What is that Dan?

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
That's interesting Dan, I haven't ever heard about this unit before.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
What have you done?

More bass.
More articulate bass.
Loss of the unwanted artifacts as the volume goes up.
Better sound stage.
The sense of "being there".
More air.
Better depth.
Less depth.
Perfect reproduction of instruments.
Less bloom.
More bloom.
Heavy hitting frequencies.
Less of certain frequencies.
More linearity.
Better vocals.
Impact.
Overall enjoyment of your rig.

What say you?

Tom

subscribed to qello.com and concertvault.com

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing