dSC Rossini Versus Rossini Player

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
I am considering either the Rossini or Rossini player. The two are identical except for the CD transport.... oh yea, and the money. :)

Does anyone know if they sound identical? I know it sounds like a weird question. The reason I'm asking is for example, the Bartok and the Rossini DAC is the same. The difference between the two is a better and robust chassis and better power supply on the Rossini. So I was wondering does the addition of the Transport affect the overall sound quality maybe due to damping, vibration etc?

Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My dealer has had them both. I have not extensively listened and I don't recall him saying they were different. I will say if you are a redbook cd fan, you'll likely love having the transport. I also suspect dCS upgraded the power supply somewhat to account for the transport.

dCS makes really good transports and you will likely find a spinning disc is usually the best, even over most (not all) hi Rez files...

Good luck !

Reactions: Lee

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks for the comment. I'm opting for the Rossini without the transport.

I was looking at the specs of the Rossini clock. The specs say clock frequencies of 44.1 and 48khz. So does the mean that it. has no affect when streaming 96 or 192khz?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for the comment. I'm opting for the Rossini without the transport.

I was looking at the specs of the Rossini clock. The specs say clock frequencies of 44.1 and 48khz. So does the mean that it. has no affect when streaming 96 or 192khz?
Wrong. 96, 192 are multiples of 48khz so the clocking definitely works and you'll hear the difference. I almost said something about the clock in my post, my Vivaldi clock is a massive improvement. Years ago I had a dCS Puccini. Adding a Puccini clock helped that quite a bit, so I suspect you'll enjoy the clock.

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks. I did some additional reading after making that post and did not know about the multiples. Kind of good news and bad news. The good news is I got the answer. The bad news is I’m going to spend more money. :)

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I’ve heard both at my local dealer, and never detected a difference in sound when listening via the Ethernet input using Roon. If you don’t spin CD’s, I’d say save the $$ and apply it towards a clock.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks. I did some additional reading after making that post and did not know about the multiples. Kind of good news and bad news. The good news is I got the answer. The bad news is I’m going to spend more money. :)
WBF is great about spending your money :).

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
This thread will be hidden from the wife. :)
You can always do what I do with firearms. They are kept in my shooting partner's gun safe. Since he and I shoot together, it is not a problem. I as sure you have an audio buddy who would be happy to keep that DAC for you and give very liberal visitation rights. :D

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
Let me throw another one at ya. Vivaldi (DAC only) versus Rossini with clock. Put aside network capabilities etc. Just purely sound.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Let me throw another one at ya. Vivaldi (DAC only) versus Rossini with clock. Put aside network capabilities etc. Just purely sound.

I think this is a "it depends". If you're listening to digital downloads, you'll like likely like the Rossini's ethernet input better and built in upsampler especially with the clock. If however you can upgrade the Vivaldi DAC to include the Vivaldi Upsampler, even with out Vivaldi Clock you'll likely be happier long term with the Vivaldi...

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing