Doshi Phono Pre Tube Rolling

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hopefully people are both interested in reading this and providing their own feedback.

I have been running the phono pre for a couple weeks now with the stock tubes. The unit has settled in. I am using a Basis 2200 TT with a Benz LPS cartridge. The loading is set for 200.

I rolled in a pair of Telefunken 801s in the v3/v4 slots (12AT7). It is possible that these are truly NOS and need to be broken in but I did not like them at all. There was a lot of harshness in the female vocal frequency range and above, maybe up to 800 Hz.

Next, I rolled in a pair of Raytheon 5751s. Kind of got the same result. Harshness in the lower mids.

I put the stock tubes back in and the smoothness and warmth returned (with no drop off in detail).

I do have a broken in pair of 801s that I am using in my tape pre which I will try next. However, the stock 12at7s are the best sounding right now.

I have other tubes to try in the 7247 position and the 12ax7 position.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have moved onto a pair of Mullard CV4024s and really like them.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks Bruce. I thought I was talking to myself!

It sounds like you are using 2 Telefunken 803s in the 12ax7 spots. Those are very pricey.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I use as quad matched set of Telefunken NOS ECC 801S.

I think you meant the same to Bruce because IIRC the Doshi tape pre uses 801's

I think we are all using the ECC 801s in the tape pre but we have been discussing the phono pre which uses only 1 pair of 12at7s.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think we are all using the ECC 801s in the tape pre but we have been discussing the phono pre which uses only 1 pair of 12at7s.

stupid me

I wondered when you said you weren't liking the 801S

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing