Votes: 132 71.7%
  • No

Votes: 52 28.3%

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Did you donate your compact discs to the Salvation Army or use them for target practice, or do you still have them on your shelf?

What are the advantages, if any, of playing compact discs, rather than streaming the exact same title and recording through a streamer + DAC?

If you still have and play compact discs, what CD transport do you use?

Reactions: devimaulana

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Did you donate your compact discs to the Salvation Army or use them for target practice, or do you still have them on your shelf?

What are the advantages, if any, of playing compact discs, rather than streaming the exact same title and recording through a streamer + DAC?

If you still have and play compact discs, what CD transport do you use?
Physical media is all I play - SACD's, CD's, and vinyl. Don't see that changing anytime soon. My wife plugs her streaming devices into the USB port on my Modwright-Marantz SA8005 SACD player.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Ron i presume ripping and playing counts as a no tho i still bought it?

Reactions: prerich

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron i presume ripping and playing counts as a no tho i still bought it?

What does "ripping" mean? Copying a CD to a computer hard drive?

You still have the compact disc on your shelf, so you satisfy the "have" condition. But you do not insert the CD into a transport to play the music on the CD, so you do not satisfy the "play" condition. I would apply your facts to the instant question and conclude "no." :)

Last edited:
Reactions: prerich

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Yup, CDs and SACDs on an Esoteric K-03X (K-01XD on order). Simple system, sounds great.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
What does "ripping" mean? Copying a CD to a computer hard drive?

You still have the compact disc on your shelf, so you satisfy the "have" condition. But you do not insert the CD into a transport to play the music on the CD, so you do not satisfy the "play" condition. I would apply your facts to the instant question and conclude "no." :)
which is how i voted as i have no transport

edit ps: lol ron i appreciate you humor as i did not really read your first post. i took playing as still buying cd’s ... and all my shoes are slip on to help avoid the old cliche

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Pro-Ject came out with a new CD transport, the CD Box RS2 T. And Paul McGowan just released his PS Audio PerfectWave SACD Transport.

These days do all disc transports play SACDs, or has some manufacturer focused on optimizing its transport strictly for RedBook CDs (and maybe also reducing cost thereby)?

LL21?

AL M?

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
These days do all disc transports play SACDs, or has some manufacturer focused on optimizing its transport strictly for RedBook CDs (and maybe also reducing cost thereby)?

Ron,
Schiit Audio will launch this year a CD transport for Redbook only.

Matt

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,
Schiit Audio will launch this year a CD transport for Redbook only.

Matt

I bet it will be very good! (I hope he doesn't use some cheap, off-the-shelf transport mechanism!)

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I bet it will be very good! (I hope he doesn't use some cheap, off-the-shelf transport mechanism!)

AFAIK, it uses the the same transport as dCS Rossini CD player: Stream Unlimited JPL-2800 SilverStrike with aluminium tray.

Matt

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Pro-Ject came out with a new CD transport, the CD Box RS2 T. And Paul McGowan just released his PS Audio PerfectWave SACD Transport.

LL21?

AL M?

Ron, I use a Simaudio Moon 260 DT transport (with transport mechanism developed by the company itself), which is Redbook CD only. It is followed by an Empirical Audio re-clocking system that brings down jitter to computer audio levels.

Yet absent are the RF noise issues that often plague computer audio, and which apparently can be completely avoided only with sophisticated DIY solutions, which I don't want to invest time and effort into, or expensive off-the-shelf server solutions.

That is also the reason why I stick with CD playback. I wanted to invest my money in other areas of my system, rather than a server. Rather than chasing "hi res" (as if CD wasn't high resolution) with limited availability of titles, I wanted to optimize my CD playback, and I am very happy with my choice.

I stream on YouTube over headphones, but for serious sound quality it is CD playback on my system.

So yes, I still play compact discs, and that is all I do on the audiophile level. I don't need to stream on my system since I can't even listen properly to all the CDs that I have. I have an embarrassment of musical riches at my disposal.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
AFAIK, it uses the the same transport as dCS Rossini CD player: Stream Unlimited JPL-2800 SilverStrike with aluminium tray.

Matt

That's good enough for me!

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Yes, of course. That is what they were made for.

RBCD and SACD on Playback Designs Dream Series MPT-8/MPD-8 and a Sony SCD5400ES, DVD-Audio on Classe CDP300. The transport usually sounds better than the streamed version and original CDs can sound better than the later re-masters. It is fun to play the silver discs, to look at shelves and pick some to play. I have quite a few CD Box Sets, too. Sometimes it is better to pick music to play myself rather than let computer algorithms do it.

Reactions: HungarianPal

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
No. Vinyl and streaming. CD's are DEAD :eek:

Reactions: MadFloyd and KeithR

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Strictly physical audio media on my big rig too. While I stream Apple lossless playlists from my laptop as background music in my shop and in the livingroom, when I'm listening "for real" in our dedicated music and cinema room, I still love the ritual of putting on a record or a CD. CD transport is per my signature, a Jay's Audio CDT2 MkII. Alternately I spin vinyl on a sweet Oracle.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes I still play CD Redbook--I use the Naim CD555 Player-I'd say the finest one box player I've heard and bettered all my previous player and DACs
in my music room.
My sole in house musical experience now-:)
BruceD

Reactions: PeterA

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Haven't played my CD player in a year. If I want to hear a CD I rip it to my Lumin, and play it there. However, l now mainly buy 2-3 downloads from HDTracks every Friday.

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
I do.
I haven't made the effort of ripping my CD collection. I play CDs through my MARANTZ SA14S1 SE. I have ripped some CDs though and play the files through different DACs. A different experience.

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, the Eera Tentation player you so loved is still here, I've heard the Extreme twice, two custom servers, one with quad switch, and I'm not even tempted to move from CD to streaming.

I still find it telling that there is no big shootout between the very best servers and the best CDPs or CDT/dac.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Here I'm Sir!
I still play the compact disc; it's my primary source; followed by a vinyl TT.
Sometimes also FM tuner and deck are used.
Player: Emmlabs CDSA-SE-X (unit previously in the hand of spiritofmusic Who wrote just before me on this thread).
In 2022 I think to go (at last) with a decent streamer/DAC with access to online music services.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing