Digitalitis

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Digitalitis is a condition experienced by some people which causes them a slight discomfort, unease or fatigue when listening to sounds, speech or music which has been converted from analog form to a digital format. Much like the visual "rainbow effect" from certain digital light processing projectors, it is not known why some people experience this condition and other people do not.*

*"The projector rainbow effect is a visual phenomenon where someone watching a projected image perceives flashes of color around the image.

In a nutshell, it is a “stroboscopic” effect produced by slow color wheel speeds in a [digital light processing] projector that causes some people to see flashes of blue, green and red particularly with scenes containing fast movement, when very bright areas move across dark areas in a video. . . .

It is a strange anomaly as some people see the rainbows, and some don’t, or at least it isn’t a noticeable issue to them."

https://www.projectorscreen.com/blog/What-Is-The-DLP-Projector-Rainbow-Effect

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Putting to one side the debates about the sonic merits of analog versus digital, and putting to one side the cost/benefit analyses of convenience versus sound quality, and putting to one side the miracle of unlimited music access from streaming, is it possible that an actual physiological condition of some kind, perhaps analogous to the well-known and uncontroversial DLP projector rainbow effect in video, could explain why some audiophiles have trouble cottoning to the sound of digital?

Last edited:
Reactions: PYP and Alrainbow

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Is it possible Ron? Maybe. If so, I do not hear it and listen to digital for hours. I never saw the rainbow effect either. Not sure how to test for it other than double blind testing of the same recording, played back on tape and a high res transfer. Of course, it would be best to use an all analog recording.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think I do not see the rainbow effect, either.

There are other random, anomalous physiological sensory differences between humans. Many people can read a book while traveling in an automobile as a passenger. If I try to read in the car I get an almost instant headache.

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Below is a story I recounted elsewhere a while back. On the subject of “digitalitis.”:

This reminds me of an effect and experiment we used to perform in the early days of digital. It was interesting proof that something was not right in the process—enough so to cause physiological weakening.

Allow me to explain:
First off, this was in the mid-1980s. Studios were just beginning to actually lay tracks with the digital tape machines of the day—not just digitizing in the mastering step for CD release. So even with vinyl LPs still being dominant, we were seeing releases that were DDA (digital tracking, digital mastering, analog pressing).

My friends and I were strictly into vinyl back then. Typical CDs and CD players at the time were unequivocally pretty unnatural sounding. But so were some of the DDA LP releases.

So here was the test/experiment (I don’t remember which of my friends brought it to our group or where he heard of it from; supposedly there was some “doctor” who had stumbled upon it as related to digital recording):

1) With no music playing, one person would hold their arms straight out to the side—making themselves into a giant “T”.
2) Another person would come up to the “T” man, put their hands on top of the outstretched arms—at the wrists—and try to push the arms down. Strong resistance would be felt.
3) An LP would be played—at just average volume—and about 30 seconds into it the above test would be repeated.

The results were always consistent:
If the album played was all analog or even (if I recall correctly) ADA, the person with their arms out would have good resistance to the downward pressure by the other person.
If the album played was DDA (meaning the tracks were laid down digitally at the start), the outstretched arms could not resist the pressure and would quickly pressed down all the way to the sides. No matter how hard the person tried to resist!

Now before you cry fowl on a couple of obvious points, let me state that:
a) After the “weak” showing we could always go back to silence or to a known all-analog LP and the person-under-test’s strength would return;
b) While the person pressing the arms down of course was affected as well, their leverage and weight were enough to overcome that.

The best part of this story—which would even overcome any doubts we ourselves had at the time—is that one of the participants of our group was a giant 6-foot 4-inch guy with arms like tree trunks, and they were nearly all muscle. (Dick S., hello wherever you are.)I was this short, skinny 135 pound kid.
The first time we had him participate in the experiment we did not tell him anything. So we have him hold his arms out and I had to reach way up to him—and his arms were so long I could not quite stretch to the top of his wrists. I was literally hanging from this big strong dude, with my feet off the ground and knees bent up.

So then we put on some random track from Fleetwood Mac’s “Tusk” album (which we knew from past experiment was DDA and would demonstrate the effect). I go back to this tree of a man (and he did have a couple minutes rest already), and this time I pull his arms right down. Admittedly I had to push somewhat hard, but I did not do anything different than before and there was zero chance of his holding me up or preventing me from pushing his arms down.
[As I recall, he became slightly angry at this. Perhaps from pride, perhaps from the weirdness of the sound being able to have that affect on his muscular build. He probably resisted going to digital for a couple decades after that—I don’t really know as we have not kept in touch. Likely was not too much of a problem as I recall he was a big classic jazz fan, and ALL that stuff is all analog.]

I honestly have not thought about or performed the experiment again since about 1993. Presumably digital recording has gotten a lot better since then (not mentioning the playback side since when we did those tests it was with LP turntables, so it was the recordings). And I do not know the physiological mechanisms that caused the weakening effect. Some sort of non-linear digital distortions that threw our vestibular system off? I have no idea as I am not a doctor. But the experiment was quite repeatable and I would be curious to learn of others who had performed it.

• Wow
Reactions: rDin and Alrainbow

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Digitalitis is a condition experienced by some people which causes them a slight discomfort, unease or fatigue when listening to sounds, speech or music which has been converted from analog form to a digital format. Much like the visual "rainbow effect" from certain digital light processing projectors, it is not known why some people experience this condition and other people do not.*
(...)
Ron,

IMHO you can´t compare them. Digitalitis is a rumor, never proved in conditions that can be accepted as a real fact.

The rainbow effect is well understood and studied effect - the projector companies knew that a percentage of viewers would be sensitive to it, but found that they could live without such customers. Economics rule ...

The point is that in the UK people listening to FM broadcasts of classical music have been subjected to digital music since 1972 without knowing it and no one complained ... In fact broadcasts of live concerts by the BBC going through the digital links were considered "the finest sound quality available in the world."

Edit - digitalistis spell corrected!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal Rubinson

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Digitalis is a rumor, never proved in conditions that can be accepted as a real fact. . . . broadcasts of live concerts by the BBC going through the digital links were considered "the finest sound quality available in the world."

Thank you for replying to my post.

1) Digitalis is a plant and a drug. I am describing digitalitis.

2) Let me guess . . . it was the BBC which said this?

3) I just don't know what to say to the suggestion that a digital link broadcasting the truncated frequency response of FM radio is "the finest sound quality available in the world."

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Superdad You are describing muscle testing, popular even today in natural medicine circles.

On this topic- I am not sure enough research has been done to make any broadly accepted conclusion possible. Personally I am convinced that listeners vary greatly in how they react to digital vs analog replay. But I do not know why.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Putting to one side the debates about the sonic merits of analog versus digital, and putting to one side the cost/benefit analyses of convenience versus sound quality, and putting to one side the miracle of unlimited music access from streaming, is it possible that an actual physiological condition of some kind, perhaps analogous to the well-known and uncontroversial DLP projector rainbow effect in video, could explain why some audiophiles have trouble cottoning to the sound of digital?
I think if you A B A good digital and good analog you'd put this myth to bed. It reminds me of the old tubes are the best / more real vs. SS debate.

I would also wager there are more sonic detriments (and variability in tone) to be found in vinyl playback than digital.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you for replying to my post.

1) Digitalis is a plant and a drug. I am describing digitalitis.

Sorry, the spellchecker autocorrected it and I did not take notice. Digitalitis seems to be a unknown word ...

2) Let me guess . . . it was the BBC which said this?

No, many magazines, either about audio or music, from the UK and elsewhere.

3) I just don't know what to say to the suggestion that a digital link broadcasting the truncated frequency response of FM radio is "the finest sound quality <weavailable in the world."

Well, IMHO what you have not said is not relevant to the main subject. IMHO if digitalitis existed it should have been studied in the 70's or 80's ...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think if you A B A good digital and good analog you'd put this myth to bed.
No, no, no. You are regressing to your muscle memory of the old argument.

This thread is about a different topic. Your reply reflects the argument that "the only reason you disagree with me is because your wrong."

Please try opening your mind to the theoretical possibility that different humans have different physiological sensitivities and, therefore, perceive the same thing differently.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Do you know of any trusty article on "digitalitis" ?
i think Ron has finally allowed himself now to think about getting his AS-2000 :oops:, and it's tipped him over the edge :eek: about digital. anyone paying attention knows he was always close, and it did not take much :p.

this 'condition' is all about Ron.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Since UFO s are legit these days all bets are of .
If you go by the scientifically proven Quantum double slit experiment , mind can influence electrons /matter .
So may be its the persons personal thoughts which will result in the listening outcome .

That could pull the plug on all the " this sounds better then that " discussions as well , lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Solypsa

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do you know of any trusty article on "digitalitis" ?

Please see Post #1 hereof.

I think digitalitis is a fertile area for original research.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I thought the term was "digititis":

I think this term refers to fingers cramping up on keyboards, not to digital audio.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Please see Post #1 hereof.
Post #1 article does not relate to digitalities or anything like that. It refers to a well know visual effect - I bought a NEC DLP projector home about 15 years ago and returned it two days later as half the family members complained about rainbows. At that time I found a clear explanation for it and got a 3 chip projector.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing