Diffusion v absorption

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Phil, can I thank you so much for yr input, esp on PM. I'm gonna seriously consider yr suggestion of Echopanel slats on my 30° descending eaves parallel to my existing structural steels, and continuing vertically down my side walls, in the zones of first and second reflection points. It's mild absorbative qualities, and critically, ability to break up direct reflections from eaves, could be inspired.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Are these ALR screens newish on the market

Phil

I don't actually know when them came on the market as I only really just started looking at it. Spent hours watching YT videos on the subject.

They are designed for ultra short throw projectors. They make viewing possible with a fair amount of ambient light in the room. But forget it in bright sunlight in a room with lots of windows. That said my OLED is rubbish in a bright room too.

I will say I find watching the 100 inch projector versus the 55 inch OLED to be massively superior as a viewing experience. You have to see the two in the flesh to realise it.

Projectors have definitely arrived.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
[QUOTE="pjwd, post: 649451, member: 7003"The bass traps and general absorption controlled reverberation time and the reflection/ baffles reduced early reflections smearing the sound. But there was still enough reflections going on to provide a nice reverberant tail ( not overdamped )... [/QUOTE]

Imo this is an excellent overview of what works well. Rewording it a bit:

1. Reduce early reflections because they are the ones which are most likely to smear the sound... BUT absorbing them may not be the best approach! In the studio photo, we can see that the acoustician used angled panels on the side walls to REFLECT the first sidewall reflections such that they would miss the engineer's listening position. This preserves their energy to come back as beneficial later reflections.

2. Control the reverberation times so that they are approximately the same up and down the spectrum. This is important because the ear perceives sounds which longer (which includes decaying more slowly) to be LOUDER than other sounds of equal SPL which fade away faster. But reverberation times (RT60's) alone DO NOT tell use enough information about what is going on in the room because they tell us nothing about the early reflections, nor do they tell us about the uniformity of the decay rate across the spectrum.

3. We want enough there to be "still enough reflections going on to provide a nice reverberant tail" ... which implies that we do not want to use too much absorption in the room. Remember that absorption has its effect EVERY TIME a sound wave hits it - so absorption positioned to target the first reflections is still absorbing every time a subsequent reflection hits it. And we'd like for those later reflections to have approximately the same spectral balance as the direct sound (the highs will inevitably be attenuated somewhat simply from travelling through more air), which CAN mean that the acoustician needs to address excess off-axis energy which the loudspeaker may be generating at some frequencies. The knowledge of which materials and/or treatments to use for targeting specific frequency regions is way above my pay grade.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
The knowledge of which materials and/or treatments to use for targeting specific frequency regions is way above my pay grade.
Duke - not only yours :) - it is almost impossible to predict what a various panel wall types fixed to studs will absorb and reflect as they are not a proprietary tested system so its a good strategy to have some flexibility in a design so you can remove or add treatments especially in broadband and bass absorption - in my experience you usually are removing them.
Totally agree with what you said above + your other posts I have read

I have it explained to me why even the RT60 method of analysing reverb time is not that useful ... but that was too long ago
cheers
Phil

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
There is a third option beyond absorption & diffusion panels. I have done direct comparison testing between a combination of RPG BAD and Gik absoption panels, and the ZR Acoustics panels and found the latter to be significantly better even with less than the recommended sf of wall coverage. Keeping the RPG BAD panels for the side and rear walls, and ceiling (at least for now), but the ZR Acoustics panels behind the speakers are a dramatic iprovement. See my posts on the subject. ZR Acoustics panels.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing