Denafrips product owners please fall in

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
@PrTv

DENAFRIPS updated the USB receiver with proprietary USB HiRes Audio module. Hope this clarifies!
Thanks for the clarity Alvin. Would this perform better or in similar level comparing with past module?

Welcome prtv to wbf.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of thif forum till my search for "Denafrips" landed me here. Very nice place I would say.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
Just received delivery of the Hermes today. With I2S via a cheap HDMI cable (4 USD cheap), it sounds better than USB direct from my Aurender N100H. I was surprised to hear more details and nuances not heard before with my "Direct (USB)" setup.

Still 2 more weeks to receive my Tubulus Concentus HDMI and Canare BNC cables. This will do for now!

DSC00057.jpg

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Just received delivery of the Hermes today. With I2S via a cheap HDMI cable (4 USD cheap), it sounds better than USB direct from my Aurender N100H. I was surprised to hear more details and nuances not heard before with my "Direct (USB)" setup.

Still 2 more weeks to receive my Tubulus Concentus HDMI and Canare BNC cables. This will do for now!

View attachment 83099
Congrats on it.

Reactions: PrTv

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
Last Friday, two Canare BNC cables I ordered from B&H arrived. I made sure to order correct impedance (75) with shortest length possible (0.3m). The cables were professionally terminated by Canare and shipped from Germany. I then connected them with the Hermes and TP, and after both units were setup to send/receive clock, I couldn't believe the system sounded worse, comparing with what I could get before the clock synchronize!

Canare.jpg

It sounded more congest and a bit bright. Don't mind the cheapo HDMI cable I use in place of my real cable which I should receive later in few weeks (Tubulus Concentus). To my surprise, this US$ 4 HDMI cable sounds quite good!

Then I borrowed a pair of Synergistic Research Atmosphere X BNC cable (US$ 670 each where I live) from a store. Even without any break-in I can immediately say it sounded a lot better. More body, details and weight with every note.
SR.jpg

At first, I planned to cut corner on clock cables, as I didn't believe BNC cables can make this level of difference (they don't even transmit audio signal after all!). It seems I might have to shell out more money for these cable (damn Denafrips why you have to use two!). Cables came with a ground plug but I haven't tried it yet. The paper said I mustn't connect this ground to power conditioner or isolation transformer and now I have no free wall socket left.

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Last Friday, two Canare BNC cables I ordered from B&H arrived. I made sure to order correct impedance (75) with shortest length possible (0.3m). The cables were professionally terminated by Canare and shipped from Germany. I then connected them with the Hermes and TP, and after both units were setup to send/receive clock, I couldn't believe the system sounded worse, comparing with what I could get before the clock synchronize!

View attachment 83623

It sounded more congest and a bit bright. Don't mind the cheapo HDMI cable I use in place of my real cable which I should receive later in few weeks (Tubulus Concentus). To my surprise, this US$ 4 HDMI cable sounds quite good!

Then I borrowed a pair of Synergistic Research Atmosphere X BNC cable (US$ 670 each where I live) from a store. Even without any break-in I can immediately say it sounded a lot better. More body, details and weight with every note.
View attachment 83624

At first, I planned to cut corner on clock cables, as I didn't believe BNC cables can make this level of difference (they don't even transmit audio signal after all!). It seems I might have to shell out more money for these cable (damn Denafrips why you have to use two!). Cables came with a ground plug but I haven't tried it yet. The paper said I mustn't connect this ground to power conditioner or isolation transformer and now I have no free wall socket left.
PrTv, I feel for you. I have the same setup as you do. I should receive my Hermes DDC today, to be connected to my T+ DAC. I purchased two clock cables (1m) from Sweatwater, which were recommended by Alvin (Vinshine Audio). These are 75-ohm BNC Word Clock Cable with Canare LV-61S Coaxial Wire and Neutrik Gold Connectors. So pretty similar to your own clock cables.

I had the same feeling about not paying to much for coaxial cables, which basically carry RF frequencies. After all, these are used in profesionnal recording studios and hate to pay for 'audiophile grade' coaxial cables, since IMHO they have nothing special from a cable construction standpoint. Will report my findings in next coming days. My HDMI cable is a Wireworld Silver Platinum (1m).

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
PrTv, I feel for you. I have the same setup as you do. I should receive my Hermes DDC today, to be connected to my T+ DAC. I purchased two clock cables (1m) from Sweatwater, which were recommended by Alvin (Vinshine Audio). These are 75-ohm BNC Word Clock Cable with Canare LV-61S Coaxial Wire and Neutrik Gold Connectors. So pretty similar to your own clock cables.

I had the same feeling about not paying to much for coaxial cables, which basically carry RF frequencies. After all, these are used in profesionnal recording studios and hate to pay for 'audiophile grade' coaxial cables, since IMHO they have nothing special from a cable construction standpoint. Will report my findings in next coming days. My HDMI cable is a Wireworld Silver Platinum (1m).
PrTv, got my Hermes today. Unfortunately, I will not ne in position to comment on the coaxial/BNC cables, since I have a flow control network issue involving a piece of equipment that needs to be swaped. It will take a few weeks before I can comment back.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Hi Dasign,
Clock cables/coaxial digital cables do affect the sonic result significantly.
There are some good and inexpensive choices in the market.
I highly recommend the Black Cat Audio products made by Chris Sommovigo.
His Silverstar!75 Mk2 digital cable is a very good-buy.
Please check it up.

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021

Please update what you think about that cable.

Today, I've just received my Tubulus Concentus.
3.jpg

And have it setup along with my SR Atmosphere BNC cables. I'd say the Tubulus cable is very stiff on lateral plane and I had to move my DDC to accommodate the cable, as I want to avoid unnecessary stress on the I2S ports or plugs.
1.jpg

Now the DDC does not sit dead center of the Dac, and for the OCD like me, this annoys me so much!
2.jpg

That aside... immediately even before breaking in, I think instrument separation is better. It's like there's more "air" between the notes. Will put some more hours on the cable and will report back re: the sound.

----------
EDIT: You may see that I connected both RCA/XLR at the same time, which is not recommended based on Alvin. However, I couldn't identify any major sonic difference between using 1 output or 2 simultaneously. I tested this with my very detailed/revealing headphones, Focal Utopia, by playing a track on XLR, and then, with the music on, I removed the RCA cables, and then reconnected... Honestly, I couldn't say I can hear sonic degradation.

Last edited:

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Please update what you think about that cable.

Today, I've just received my Tubulus Concentus.
View attachment 83999

And have it setup along with my SR Atmosphere BNC cables. I'd say the Tubulus cable is very stiff on lateral plane and I had to move my DDC to accommodate the cable, as I want to avoid unnecessary stress on the I2S ports or plugs.
View attachment 83997

Now the DDC does not sit dead center of the Dac, and for the OCD like me, this annoys me so much!
View attachment 83998

That aside... immediately even before breaking in, I think instrument separation is better. It's like there's more "air" between the notes. Will put some more hours on the cable and will report back re: the sound.

----------
EDIT: You may see that I connected both RCA/XLR at the same time, which is not recommended based on Alvin. However, I couldn't identify any major sonic difference between using 1 output or 2 simultaneously. I tested this with my very detailed/revealing headphones, Focal Utopia, by playing a track on XLR, and then, with the music on, I removed the RCA cables, and then reconnected... Honestly, I couldn't say I can hear sonic degradation.
PrTv, congrats for your new cables. This morning I reviewed the Hermes manual and found a mistake in my original configuration. So got the Hermes operating and it sounded awkward the first two hours…Timbre was off and missing low/top end frequencies. After a few hours, the situation really improved. So wondering if some of your issues are related somewhat to insufficient burn-in?

I will wait a few days and report back, since my situation is improving hour per hour. Right now, timbre, frequency extremes are back. Getting lot more low-level details and improved soundstage perception.

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
PrTv, congrats for your new cables. This morning I reviewed the Hermes manual and found a mistake in my original configuration. So got the Hermes operating and it sounded awkward the first two hours…Timbre was off and missing low/top end frequencies. After a few hours, the situation really improved. So wondering if some of your issues are related somewhat to insufficient burn-in?

I will wait a few days and report back, since my situation is improving hour per hour. Right now, timbre, frequency extremes are back. Getting lot more low-level details and improved soundstage perception.
May you please elaborate what you did wrong with yours? I hope it's the same case with mine (although unlikely).

I rarely regret buying hifi equipment but I started to doubt myself for switching from a perfectly fine Ayre QB9 Twenty to "the TP + Hermer + expensive clock cables + expensive HDMI cable" as the latter can't give me the same level of musical enjoyment as the Ayre. It's the lack of coherence and how bright the sound is, that put me off.

Last edited:

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
May you please elaborate what you did wrong with yours? I hope it's the same case with mine (although unlikely).

I rarely regret buying hifi equipment but I started to doubt myself for switching from a perfectly fine Ayre QB9 Twenty to "the TP + Hermer + expensive clock cables + expensive HDMI cable" as the latter can't give me the same level of musical enjoyment as the Ayre. It's the lack of coherence and how bright the sound is, that put me off.
I followed the I2S Youtube video instructions from Vinshine Audio which explains I2S configuration between a Pontus DAC and Hermes DDC. I simply forgot to configure the Hermes to accept the clock coming from the T+.

On my side, the T+/Hermes combo just sounds fantastic with my Canare/Wireworld cables. After 48 hours of burn-in, the Hermes reduced background noise, increased low level details and expands the soundstage. Instrument delineation is increased.

Essentially, the Hermes does not change the T+ personality, it just increases its qualities. I am very happy with my Canare clock cables and have no intention to replace these at least in the short term, since I am very satisfied with my actual sound.

From my reading of your post, your T+ sounds better than the T+/Hermes combo. Do you leave your T+/Hermes always with power on? Maybe you should contact Alvin from Vinshine Audio for some suggestions to solve your issue. Alvin is very responsive.

Reactions: Koso and CKKeung

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
I followed the I2S Youtube video instructions from Vinshine Audio which explains I2S configuration between a Pontus DAC and Hermes DDC. I simply forgot to configure the Hermes to accept the clock coming from the T+.

On my side, the T+/Hermes combo just sounds fantastic with my Canare/Wireworld cables. After 48 hours of burn-in, the Hermes reduced background noise, increased low level details and expands the soundstage. Instrument delineation is increased.

Essentially, the Hermes does not change the T+ personality, it just increases its qualities. I am very happy with my Canare clock cables and have no intention to replace these at least in the short term, since I am very satisfied with my actual sound.

From my reading of your post, your T+ sounds better than the T+/Hermes combo. Do you leave your T+/Hermes always with power on? Maybe you should contact Alvin from Vinshine Audio for some suggestions to solve your issue. Alvin is very responsive.
Thanks for your input mate.

May you confirm which model is your Canare cable? Mine looks like this.
Canaaare.jpg

Cabare-J.jpg

I setup my T+ and Hermes correctly. I enabled the clock and made sure to send out the right 45/49 clock.

I use Tubulus Concentus I2S cable and made sure to config I2S pin-out correctly. The Dac is on correct phase (tried both 1/0 phases and picked one that sounds best).

I even went extra length and use a good quality Synergistic Research AC cable with the Hermes (if that even provides any help).

Also I left the DAC / DDC on 24/7.

Truly don't know what I did wrong here. I really want to love this combo and I spent a lot of money on it, but I can't lie to myself that, still, I'm not so satisfied. It's not that I want "better sound"... but it's just that the combo has certain sonic trait that I don't like.

Last edited:

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Thanks for your input mate.

May you confirm which model is your Canare cable? Mine looks like this.
View attachment 84239

View attachment 84238

I setup my T+ and Hermes correctly. I enabled the clock and made sure to send out the right 45/49 clock.

I use Tubulus Concentus I2S cable and made sure to config I2S pin-out correctly. The Dac is on correct phase (tried both 1/0 phases and picked one that sounds best).

I even went extra length and use a good quality Synergistic Research AC cable with the Hermes (if that even provides any help).

Also I left the DAC / DDC on 24/7.

Truly don't know what I did wrong here. I really want to love this combo and I spent a lot of money on it, but I can't lie to myself that, still, I'm not so satisfied. It's not that I want "better sound"... but it's just that the combo has certain sonic trait that I don't like.
My Canare coaxial cable is different from yours. I purchased the Canare LV-61S cable with matched Neutrik BCP-B31F 75 ohm BNC connectors. I took the time to closely look at your Canare L-3CFW cable which uses the Canare BCP-B31F 75 ohm BNC connector. The main difference between those cables is the quality of the connectors.

I've looked at the return loss (RL) specification on both connectors and the Neutrik has by far the best RL specification. A high return loss is desirable and results in a lower insertion loss. The RL specification @ 3Ghz is 26.4 db for the Canare connector and 35 db for the Neutrik . A 8.6 db RL difference is a major difference in RL quality. So in theory, there will be more reflections/insertion loss using the Canare connector. This could be the reason why the Canare sounds worse than your Synergistic Research Atmosphere X BNC cable.

Your setup is fine. So it could just be a matter of taste at the end. What sonic trait do you dislike exactly? If you just listen to the T+ by itself, do you like the sound or not? If the answer is yes and you feel that the T+/Hermes combo fails to satisfy you, there could potentially be an issue with the Hermes. By any means, I would suggest that you wait for an additional break-in period for the combo, before making any costly move on this situation. I hope the best for you.

Attachments

• IMG_3714.JPG
    IMG_3714.JPG
    416.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3717.JPG
    IMG_3717.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3718.JPG
    IMG_3718.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 8

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
My Canare coaxial cable is different from yours. I purchased the Canare LV-61S cable with matched Neutrik BCP-B31F 75 ohm BNC connectors. I took the time to closely look at your Canare L-3CFW cable which uses the Canare BCP-B31F 75 ohm BNC connector. The main difference between those cables is the quality of the connectors.

I've looked at the return loss (RL) specification on both connectors and the Neutrik has by far the best RL specification. A high return loss is desirable and results in a lower insertion loss. The RL specification @ 3Ghz is 26.4 db for the Canare connector and 35 db for the Neutrik . A 8.6 db RL difference is a major difference in RL quality. So in theory, there will be more reflections/insertion loss using the Canare connector. This could be the reason why the Canare sounds worse than your Synergistic Research Atmosphere X BNC cable.

Your setup is fine. So it could just be a matter of taste at the end. What sonic trait do you dislike exactly? If you just listen to the T+ by itself, do you like the sound or not? If the answer is yes and you feel that the T+/Hermes combo fails to satisfy you, there could potentially be an issue with the Hermes. By any means, I would suggest that you wait for an additional break-in period for the combo, before making any costly move on this situation. I hope the best for you.
Thanks for your detailed reply/analysis. Truly appreciated!

Will wait for all items to be fully broken in before final evaluation.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
CK

You are bad person to let me spend more money! ;)

I ordered Gaia even though I do not have Denafris Terminator Dac.

I only have Dave, Mcaler and EMMLab Dac2.

Let us see what happen!
Hi there,

I'm curious how do you plan to use the Gaia with your setup? Have you received it and how do you like it?

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing