Denafrips product owners please fall in

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I had the same opinion about NOS sounding better than OS, until I purchased HQPlayer. HQPlayer just kills Roon regarding audio playback quality .
Good to know but even though I am pretty skilled with computer audio(network engineer for 20 years) every time I go to the HQPlayer web site I am turned off by the lack of documentation or any explanation which would make it understandable to install and configure. I have followed threads on Audiophile Style for years and they make it seem needlessly confusing and overly technical. I have a Windows 2019 based Roon server and an Audiolinux Roon endpoint. I do know that AL supports embedded HQPlayer.

Any links to readable documentation would be definitely appreciated! I am willing to give it a try.

toddrhodes

Dec 17, 2018
Good to know but even though I am pretty skilled with computer audio(network engineer for 20 years) every time I go to the HQPlayer web site I am turned off by the lack of documentation or any explanation which would make it understandable to install and configure. I have followed threads on Audiophile Style for years and they make it seem needlessly confusing and overly technical. I have a Windows 2019 based Roon server and an Audiolinux Roon endpoint. I do know that AL supports embedded HQPlayer.

Any links to readable documentation would be definitely appreciated! I am willing to give it a try.

If you can get HQ Player set up on a windows PC, all it takes is a screenshot if you have a DF DAC. Now the settings do depend on your PC hardware so I suppose a screenshot isn't the end of the story, but it's usually enough to get you going in the right direction.

While I've moved on from my DF DAC, I do still feel quite fondly about how much value they represent. Just a great bit of hardware and they scale really well when stuff like HQ Player gets involved (same with my new DAC, a Holo May KTE). But while the docs around HQ Player are a little lacking, it's not too terrible to get up and running.

I think the most challenging part of it is getting the NAA going. That's a little device that sits on the network, by your DAC, and feeds the HQ Player output to your DAC via USB or whatever you like, without having to come straight out of a PC where noise and grain are almost certain to be a factor. The easiest path there is a Raspberry Pi 4 using RoPieeeXL as an image, or using miska's NAA image.

Sounds confusing, I know, but it's really not once the pieces come together.

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
If you can get HQ Player set up on a windows PC, all it takes is a screenshot if you have a DF DAC. Now the settings do depend on your PC hardware so I suppose a screenshot isn't the end of the story, but it's usually enough to get you going in the right direction.

While I've moved on from my DF DAC, I do still feel quite fondly about how much value they represent. Just a great bit of hardware and they scale really well when stuff like HQ Player gets involved (same with my new DAC, a Holo May KTE). But while the docs around HQ Player are a little lacking, it's not too terrible to get up and running.

I think the most challenging part of it is getting the NAA going. That's a little device that sits on the network, by your DAC, and feeds the HQ Player output to your DAC via USB or whatever you like, without having to come straight out of a PC where noise and grain are almost certain to be a factor. The easiest path there is a Raspberry Pi 4 using RoPieeeXL as an image, or using miska's NAA image.

Sounds confusing, I know, but it's really not once the pieces come together.
Thanks for the input. My Audiolinux endpoint does support NAA. Do you know if HQPlayer will run on Windows Server 2019?

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Just like Jay in below utube review, I had always prefer OS of my T standard, T plus and upgraded T plus:

As usual, system dependent, yymv and trust your ears.

Cheers.

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
Hi everyone and alvin1118,

I'm a soon-to-be owner of the T+, and I have some questions about the operation and reliability.

From the manual, it's said the XLR and RCA output are shared and not recommended to be used at the same time. Problem is, my use case requires that both output being connected at the same time! I'm using this with my headphones setup, and I have a SS amp, along with a Tube Amp (for my different headphones).

I plan to leave the DAC connected with both XLR (SS) and RCA (Tube -Transformer Coupled) amps.

My question is, how much would this potentially impact the sonic quality, and in which way? I know that the best way is to test it out, but I'd like to hear based on your guys' experience or in technical view.

Another question... how reliable the unit is. I know that the unit has many many components crammed inside, and that R2R DAC with this functionality can be quite hot, especially when you guys suggest to leave it on 24/7. My concern is, in the long run, how is the likelihood of components failure e.g. cap blown, etc? My current DAC is Ayre QB9 DSD which I left on for almost 8 years and never have any problem. Can I expect the same with the T+ based on you guys experience?

I know that the unit comes with 3Y warranty but shipping that 20KG-ish unit out is not cheap/fun task.

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi everyone and alvin1118,

I'm a soon-to-be owner of the T+, and I have some questions about the operation and reliability.

From the manual, it's said the XLR and RCA output are shared and not recommended to be used at the same time. Problem is, my use case requires that both output being connected at the same time! I'm using this with my headphones setup, and I have a SS amp, along with a Tube Amp (for my different headphones).

I plan to leave the DAC connected with both XLR (SS) and RCA (Tube -Transformer Coupled) amps.

My question is, how much would this potentially impact the sonic quality, and in which way? I know that the best way is to test it out, but I'd like to hear based on your guys' experience or in technical view.

Another question... how reliable the unit is. I know that the unit has many many components crammed inside, and that R2R DAC with this functionality can be quite hot, especially when you guys suggest to leave it on 24/7. My concern is, in the long run, how is the likelihood of components failure e.g. cap blown, etc? My current DAC is Ayre QB9 DSD which I left on for almost 8 years and never have any problem. Can I expect the same with the T+ based on you guys experience?

I know that the unit comes with 3Y warranty but shipping that 20KG-ish unit out is not cheap/fun task.

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

Hi PrTV,

Just use monitor or line out from your preamp or integrated amp as alternative to whichever amp your are using most often or availability of xlr or se then ? I cannot say I tried it myself enuff to know the negative impact but I will err on designer's advice since bought into his products.

I nvr had any trouble with standard T or T+ or upgraded thereafter for the last 3 yrs + with 24/7 but components are manufactured and guess it will draw of luck on any future but all used are reputed ones of no less quality of your Ayre albeit more opportunity for failures with its vast quantities. If any fails, it would be more likely early failures that it may be good to have it sooner with 24/7 operation under warranty imho. Not sure but perhaps if indeed failed, it is basically 2 main boards that that needs to be swapped.

Btw, powering on and off T+ daily with the vast arrays of components will also not be my recommendation with inevitable surges that I like to think is more detrimental that having it 24/7 for peak performance except occasional powering it down.

Cheers.

Last edited:

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
Hi PrTV,

Just use monitor or line out from your preamp or integrated amp as alternative to whichever amp your are using most often or availability of xlr or se then ? I cannot say I tried it myself enuff to know the negative impact but I will err on designer's advice since bought into his products.

I nvr had any trouble with standard T or T+ or upgraded thereafter for the last 3 yrs + with 24/7 but components are manufactured and guess it will draw of luck on any future but all used are reputed ones of no less quality of your Ayre albeit more opportunity for failures with its vast quantities. If any fails, it would be more likely early failures that it may be good to have it sooner with 24/7 operation under warranty imho. Not sure but perhaps if indeed failed, it is basically 2 main boards that that needs to be swapped.

Btw, powering on and off T+ daily with the vast arrays of components will also not be my recommendation with inevitable surges that I like to think is more detrimental that having it 24/7 for peak performance except occasional powering it down.

Cheers.
Thanks for your input.

My SS amp can act as a pre-amp, but doing to is not preferable, as it introduces another equipment into the chain. As you can imagine, the signal would be through the first amp, through to the tube (2nd) amp. Volume control can be activated via my 1st amp acting as a pre-amp, as well as the tube amp (2nd amp connected to my headphones). I think this may add noise to the system or make it sound worse.

I don't know (until I have the unit on hand), how big is the impact of connecting both cables with the TP, VS using my SS as the pre-amp.

Reactions: richard_crl032

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Thanks for your input.

My SS amp can act as a pre-amp, but doing to is not preferable, as it introduces another equipment into the chain. As you can imagine, the signal would be through the first amp, through to the tube (2nd) amp. Volume control can be activated via my 1st amp acting as a pre-amp, as well as the tube amp (2nd amp connected to my headphones). I think this may add noise to the system or make it sound worse.

I don't know (until I have the unit on hand), how big is the impact of connecting both cables with the TP, VS using my SS as the pre-amp.

Hi PrTv,

Indeed best to try but buffered monitor/tape out if available and designed right as in my case of Audible Ilusion L3B should not affected ... I dun hear any in my setup via my Revel Salon 2 or Grado Lab FreeSystem.

Please keep us informed

Cheers.

Richard

Reactions: PrTv

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
How hot is operational temperature of the Terminator Plus? My friend also has R2R dac with similar concept (Audio GD R-27), and told me his DAC is extremely warm to the extent that he's sure the unit would suffer heat damage if left on for days.

For the Terminator Plus, for anyone who actually use it, how hot would it be, in operation and when left on but no music played (stand by)? Also how is your ambient temp? I live in Thailand where it can be quite hot and room temp with A/C off can go up to 35-40C.

Would this result in any detrimental effect to the DAC?

serlv

Oct 3, 2021
No sir, it can't. The 'HDMI' I2S protocol is not compatible with the typical multimedia HDMI output. Please do not connect the Bluray/DVD player HDMI to the HDMI I2S input of the DAC.

You may connect the Coax / Optical output from the Oppo150D to the Terminator-Plus :)

Alvin, I plan to, occasionally, connect my Oppo BDP-95, to my Pontus II's I2S input, via HDMI, running it through an HDMI de-embedder that separates the audio signal from the video. It then outputs an I2S signal. Are you saying this is a no-go?

Attachments

• 20210929_120705.jpg
    20210929_120705.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210929_120739.jpg
    20210929_120739.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 6

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi Serlv,

This looks like a specialty i2s hmdi converter and not a typical MM hdmi that Alvin is referring to.

It should work but you need to know the connection or custom make a hmdi cable with the white i2s connector.

However, it looks cheap with unknown detrimental effects on sound quality and I will not use it unless absolutely no choice.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
How hot is operational temperature of the Terminator Plus? My friend also has R2R dac with similar concept (Audio GD R-27), and told me his DAC is extremely warm to the extent that he's sure the unit would suffer heat damage if left on for days.

For the Terminator Plus, for anyone who actually use it, how hot would it be, in operation and when left on but no music played (stand by)? Also how is your ambient temp? I live in Thailand where it can be quite hot and room temp with A/C off can go up to 35-40C.

Would this result in any detrimental effect to the DAC?

Hi PrTv,

The Terminator Plus runs cool ... hardly warm in my non aircon living room in Singapore of 30 deg C I guess.

35-40 deg C ambient room temp is indeed warm and while I do not believe the T plus will be damaged with extended hours with its inherent cool operating temp, I will run a sgd5 usb fan around it.

Cheers.

Richard

Reactions: PrTv

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
I²S
I²S has no industry standard. If you would like to use the I²S connection, the I²S pinout matching with of the source (DDC/Transport/Streamer) and DAC has to be configured and matched correctly. Mismatch of I²S pinout may result in static/noise output. The excessive noise output level may damage the loudspeakers/headphone drivers.

Suggestion of I²S matching with the source, i.e. DDC/Transport/Streamer
1. Connect the I²S cable (good quality HDMI cable <3ft/1m)
2. Turn down the volume (audible, minimal)
3. Play a familiar music (PCM first, followed by DSD)
4. Run through the I²S setting of the DAC, 000-111
5. One of the modes should match with the source for both PCM and DSD playback.

It's recommended to go through the Audio Tone Test to make sure the L/R channel, in phase/out of phase correctness.

Warning
Please note that the RJ45/HDMI ports of DENAFRIPS DDC/DAC are not typical network/multimedia RJ45/HDMI ports. They are purpose-built I²S ports. Please do not connect it to the typical multimedia HDMI port (i.e. Bluray player/TV etc) or Ethernet network.

Need help?
Please reach out to us at support@vinshineaudio.com . We are happy to assist you.

Reactions: Abyss Man

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
6moons coverage of I²S interface"
https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/i2s/1.html

Reactions: Abyss Man

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
Just received the unit today and now I'm officially in the club!
DSC09939.jpg

However, I have some questions about the dac's name shown by my streamer.

My streamer is Aurender N100H and based on my research with TP the DAC should be shown as "Combo 384 Amanero". However, in my case, the unit just displays "USB HiRes Audio". In the pic below, I played DSD512 track. You will see the weird name I referred.
3.jpg

However, when it comes to DSD signal, it seemed the streamer sent correct signal and the DAC received the same (8X DSD indicated). It played fine.
2.jpg

So my question is:
1. Why the name is USB HiRes Audio? Did Denafrips make any change to the USB chipset?
2. Is there anything needs to be fixed given that the DAC seemed to play music fine?

Thanks

Last edited:

taoh2

Mar 13, 2015
soundaware with Terminator + is the best
Hi Guys,
I just wanted to start this thread to engage fellow music lovers who are using Denafrips range of products. Personally I am using the Terminator DAC and the newly released DDC Gaia (though its out on loan now). As of late they have released an excellent range of products which are well engineered and sound good too.

I had the oppurtunity to listen to their newly released Terminator Plus, and I must say, it is another hit from them. Please share your impressions. Thank you guys.

Here is a link to their website and honest reviews from users. https://www.denafrips.com/news

Do feel free to post some nice photos of your setup as well. Cheers and please stay safe all.

I have own PS audio direct stream DAC(PSD) with bridge card for many years. PS offer firmware update once in a while which make the DAC continue to improve.

then I brought the terminator DAC.

when par with Jay's Audio Transport(MarkII or the most expensive model they offer), the terminator DAC sound better than PS DAC in a noticeable way: more musical, more live

the PSD sound don't change much when play though its bridge card(streaming from network drive) vs Jay's transport

I sold the PSD.

I then brought Soundaware streamer since most of my CD library are in my network drive. I don't have many CD disc anymore, too much organized work.

I love to play music through the IPad, connecting Soundaware to home network allow me to reach thousand of album with my finger tip.

the sound from Jay transport with terminator sound so musical, relax, I can listen for hours hours. it put smile on my face

when replace Jay CD transport with Soundware, the music has sense of intense to make me not relax. it missed the magic of Jay CD transport.
the music is almost un-listenable. so I went out to re-purchase many of my favorite albums so that I can play them through Jay CD transport!

Yes, the PSD sound better than Terminator on streaming source but not on a damn good CD transport!

I did try to copy the same albums from my hard drive to a CD-R and play it on Jay CD transport, but the sound is horrible -- copy are not the same!

in the mean time I research to see if there is an streamer that can be as good as good CD transport like Jay, but from what I read, there is none.

years later I got the terminator+, it sound a bit better than terminator when par with Jay CD transport.

but the biggest advantage of T+ is in its output clock, which T doesn't have.

the Soundware Streamer can switch to use an external clock.

I re-wire the connection between Soundware and Streamer and to use the Terminator+ output clock feed into Soundware

the sound become so.... musical, beat the Jay CD transport, in a noticeable way!

Wow, should I say the CD Transport is obsoleted.

I sold my Jays CD transport in no time.

today, I enjoy Soundaware and Terminator+ ....

Reactions: Koso

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
D300 TII.jpg

If you use roon, Soundaware transports are roon certified endpoint. It's highly recommended!

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
@PrTv

DENAFRIPS updated the USB receiver with proprietary USB HiRes Audio module. Hope this clarifies!

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
View attachment 82807

My streamer is Aurender N100H and based on my research with TP the DAC should be shown as "Combo 384 Amanero". However, in my case, the unit just displays "USB HiRes Audio". In the pic below, I played DSD512 track. You will see the weird name I referred.
View attachment 82809

However, when it comes to DSD signal, it seemed the streamer sent correct signal and the DAC received the same (8X DSD indicated). It played fine.
View attachment 82810

So my question is:
1. Why the name is USB HiRes Audio? Did Denafrips make any change to the USB chipset?
2. Is there anything needs to be fixed given that the DAC seemed to play music fine?

Thanks
Welcome prtv to wbf.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
View attachment 82807

View attachment 82809

View attachment 82810

So my question is:

Thanks
Congratulations on the new unit,it’s awesome.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing