Degritter considerations

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Degritter is a 3rd generation single-slot desktop ultrasonic cleaner whose designers had the opportunity to study earlier offerings before coming to market in spring 2019. At this time in the US it runs ~$3000.

One expects record cleaning and automated record cleaning machines to advance over time. Currently Degritter seems to be a popular RCM based on many "i luv my degritter" fans that are posting here and elsewhere. The machine has been out long enough for reasonable assessment. I started this thread for people to share their more-than-superficial thoughts on the Degritter and tips for its use.

A few considerations, imo:

- the Degritter filter/pump is rather tame; it's better than no filter at all. With an external tank and the low cost of distilled water it seems easy and wise to replace the water frequently. How often to you change the water in your Degritter.

- assuming the Degritter people have not given warnings against a specific alternative to their own 'Degritter cleaning fluid, consider using Tergitol 15-S-9 surfactant rather than the Degritter additive.

- the Degritter cavitators (2 per side) operate at 120kHz which may be more effective at removing v. small particles and less effective at removing larger sized particles than machines operating only at lower frequencies. This is why Degritter recommends "wiping the record with a microfiber cloth wet in record cleaning fluid or isopropyl alcohol ..." prior to ultrasonic cleaning. I'm not a fan of wiping records with cloth but that's their method.

- Degritter will dry the record with whatever residue is on the record after the wash cycle completes. If I were to use this machine I would buy two of them, one for washing and one for rinsing and drying. I would use only distilled water in the rinse machine.

- If there is lime scale built up in the machine (from using soft water?) Degritter says to use vinegar in solution to remove that. Something unclear to me is how one cleans the Degritter wash tank itself. How do you clean your Degritter wash tank?

Reactions: Zeotrope and ddk

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I use Degritter RCM for the last 12 months, i have cleaned so far my entire record collection (500+ albums)
the machine works flawlessly
regarding water container cleaning, you can always use mix of hot water and vinegar to clean it - if it's good for kettles and washing machines it o.k for your water container.

Degritter is near perfect cleaning machine, the only thing that disturbs me is the relatively short cycle between filter replacements - around every 25 - 30 records cleaning, depends on the amount of dirt.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I use Degritter RCM for the last 12 months, i have cleaned so far my entire record collection (500+ albums)
the machine works flawlessly
regarding water container cleaning, you can always use mix of hot water and vinegar to clean it - if it's good for kettles and washing machines it o.k for your water container.

Degritter is near perfect cleaning machine, the only thing that disturbs me is the relatively short cycle between filter replacements - around every 25 - 30 records cleaning, depends on the amount of dirt.
Do you notice an improvement on the sound of a cleaned lp?

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Do you notice an improvement on the sound of a cleaned lp?yES
Yes, there is a big improvement playing clean records, clean records in my system are dead quiet - no pops and sound more focused.
opening the filter for (cleaning or replacement) and you won't believe the amount of dirt new records come with, it always shocks me.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
My lps are all brand new so I never have fort of cleaning them. I avoid second hand lps.
99% of my records are new and from Mobile fidelity, Verve, IPEX, Analogue production, blue note - still they all come with plenty of dirt that needs to be clean.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
wow I have to look in buying one as I have about 5 thousand lps.I will get a couple cleaned at a dealer and c the difference in sound.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
This is a picture of Degritter filter after cleaning 30+ new records i got from analogue production and Mobile fidelity - think new records are clean, think again!

Attachments

• 20210428_181733.jpg
    20210428_181733.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: tima and dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My lps are all brand new so I never have fort of cleaning them. I avoid second hand lps.

My experience is that new LPs require the same cleaning that used ones do. The manufacturing process always leaves some residue on the LP and in the groove. In addition, so many LPs come in paper or cheap inner sleeves which also leave some debris. I won't play a new LP until it is cleaned.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
The machine will tell you when to replace the water or replace the filter. It’s 25 cycles (I think) for wash and no set cycles for the filter, whenever it’s too dirty. It will also go into maintenance mode every 50 (I think) cycles and clean itself. They sell the tanks separately for $100 so you can easily do rinse only cycles with a single machine.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
My experience is that new LPs require the same cleaning that used ones do. The manufacturing process always leaves some residue on the LP and in the groove. In addition, so many LPs come in paper or cheap inner sleeves which also leave some debris. I won't play a new LP until it is cleaned.
How often does a lp need cleaning?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
By avoiding second hand LP's you are avoiding the best pressed records. Cleaned original pressings are far superior to any new pressing made today. Especially jazz and classical.

Well, it isn't that simple (as you know). Original pressings cost ridiculous amounts of money. I am ashamed to admit that I bought an original mono of Dexter Gordon's "One Flight Up" and paid $1500. Conversely, I also have the Blue Note Classic release of the same album which cost $30 and is nothing short of great. Both the Tone Poet and BN 80/Classic serious have produced great re-issues for under $40. For most people that is the better buy given the current cost of VG+ or better original issues.

Reactions: timztunz and tima

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Degritter is a 3rd generation single-slot desktop ultrasonic cleaner whose designers had the opportunity to study earlier offerings before coming to market in spring 2019. At this time in the US it runs ~$3000....

.... How do you clean your Degritter wash tank?
All legit questions on this topic... My question to you is... this is the kind of stuff you are thinking about at 3:02am... :p:D

• Haha
Reactions: tima

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Distilled water is dirt cheap, I change mine often and never allow water to remain in the tank for more than a week or so.

I still maintain my VPI 16.5 for 'pre-cleaning' when required, used Lp's , etc.

Reactions: timztunz

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Well, it isn't that simple (as you know). Original pressings cost ridiculous amounts of money. I am ashamed to admit that I bought an original mono of Dexter Gordon's "One Flight Up" and paid $1500. Conversely, I also have the Blue Note Classic release of the same album which cost $30 and is nothing short of great. Both the Tone Poet and BN 80/Classic serious have produced great re-issues for under $40. For most people that is the better buy given the current cost of VG+ or better original issues.
Blue Notes are one thing but there is fantastic jazz on Strata East, Black Lion, Steeple Chase, ECM, etc that can be had for less than $15 in most cases. To not buy "second hand" records is missing out on 90% of the available music our there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing