Dead Can Dance - New Album in 16 years - Special Edition comes with USB Key!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
They are performing in NYC this week.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I believe the USB stick has 24 bit hi-res files but they did not mention the sample rate. The special edition is already sold out and so far they have not made these files available elsewhere. Probably just a matter of time before it shows up on HD Tracks.

I have the (clear) vinyl version. Typical fantastic DCD production. Larger than life sound with deep, taut bass.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I believe the USB stick has 24 bit hi-res files but they did not mention the sample rate. The special edition is already sold out and so far they have not made these files available elsewhere. Probably just a matter of time before it shows up on HD Tracks.

I have the (clear) vinyl version. Typical fantastic DCD production. Larger than life sound with deep, taut bass.

44.1 kHz

The biggest myth propagated by audiophiles is that 44.1 is low resolution.

According to Bruce Brown, it will be available on HDTracks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
WARNING bad recording! Or perhaps, just a bad LP version.

I hate to do this but...

The new Dead Can Dance Anastasis LP is so compressed it is unplayable. It's a wall of compressed MUD (loudness). Shame on the AR guy and the mastering engineer. What could have been... is ruined (at least on the commercial LP). Does anyone else have the PIAS America pressing? Such a disappointment. I'll try the digital version and see what gives.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Peter-I heard before that the recording is hopelessly compressed.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I hate to do this but...

The new Dead Can Dance Anastasis LP is so compressed it is unplayable. It's a wall of compressed MUD (loudness). Shame on the AR guy and the mastering engineer. What could have been... is ruined (at least on the commercial LP). Does anyone else have the PIAS America pressing? Such a disappointment. I'll try the digital version and see what gives.

Hi Peter:

I just just cued up the 24 bit download on my 2nd system (McIntosh MA660/Harbeth C7ES3/Musical Fidelity V-DAC II) and it certainly
is compressed..

I would definitely not say it is unlistenable mud. I would have liked more dynamic range.

Three things come to mind.

First on your system, which by any standard, is certainly awe inspiring, the problems will even worse...since it is so revealing

Second, I really have never heard great results from an LP from a current digital recording..the seem to want to make it LOUDER..so
as not to be outgunned by the digital.

Lastly, I have no doubt in my mind that much of the music today is engineered with the thought that it will be consumed on little
white ear buds...yes...I put a HUGE blame on Apple for lowering the bar on sound quality to the point that it is comical.

If I compare the MFSL version of The Who's Quadrophenia and the 2012 remaster..the difference in volume is a good 30%. We know that
MFLS applied zero compression..so that is the native volume of that master.

Very frustrating and thanks for reporting back.

A last point, is that economics is a huge factor here. If DAD has recorded this, lets say, to DSD...they would not have recouped their
costs. Reality bites.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I hate to do this but...

Peter, the Euro clear pressing sounds OK and is enjoyable. It is certainly not unplayable. Perhaps try that copy. I always try to buy the vinyl from where the record label is situated, as it generally always sounds better.

However, I am not sure the recording is that great - my UK pressing of the 1987 Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun certainly sounds a lot better.

cheers

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
$24.99 down the drain, it was my Princeton Record Exchange birthday present to me today. At least there was a great lunch with Terry at the Alchemist and Barrister. What a great walking day in Princeton it was, what a wonderful place to live (except for the taxes).

mep... hopelessly is an understatement. grrrrrrr.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing