DDC or Server upgrade/DDC benefits

Double E

Sep 25, 2022
I cannot home test (most new gear I have been able to in the past) a new server or DDC in my system so I have been researching a lot and going back n forth in my head over Server v DDC upgrade.
I listen around 50/50 vinyl v digital. I love the sound I am getting from my digital set up now.
I use Roon core out of 2019 Mac minI out to other room into standard network switch with a SOTM Cat 7 Ethernet cable into SOTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo (with S Booster) then Curious USB cables via iso regen into Denafrips Pontus II.

My key question and reason for posting is:

What I was hoping to find out here is: given there is a clock in the SOTM could I still expect a nice SQ improvement with the USB into a Denafrips Hermes DDC (or any DDC) then I2S (Tubulus Argentus) into Pontus II (or any DAC). I am no across all the science, but essentially I am wondering about the two clocks being overkill. I2S is the recommended best option by Denafrips

Mac handles Roon nicely and, I know other software/players might sound better, but Roon adds to my listening experience so I am sticking. Servers considered are the Antipodes S40 (heavily discountEd used) and Roon Nucleus plus (also heavily discountEd).

I am Assuming adding a DDC would give more SQ improvement than server change.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
I'm just starting out on this.
Had M2Tech Evo Two/Clock, but only used it in a noisy work environment.

Received an Audio GD DI-20HE last week.
What a difference it has made to the information below the surface. Stunned is my reaction.
Will eventually use a Mad Scientist AES/EBU cable to Dac (although have a Blue Jeans I2S cable to try also).

Have read and discussed DDCs, with the Audio GD coming up winner first at performance, and second at price.
Clock considerations are next.

Reactions: Double E

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
Have ordered an Audience AU24Sx AES/EBU cable to go with the Audio GD DI-20HE DDC to Dac.
Had an LKY OCK-1 master clock arrive this week to pair with it, and ordered a Gustard C2 50? clock cable.

Reactions: Double E

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
I cannot home test (most new gear I have been able to in the past) a new server or DDC in my system so I have been researching a lot and going back n forth in my head over Server v DDC upgrade.
I listen around 50/50 vinyl v digital. I love the sound I am getting from my digital set up now.
I use Roon core out of 2019 Mac minI out to other room into standard network switch with a SOTM Cat 7 Ethernet cable into SOTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo (with S Booster) then Curious USB cables via iso regen into Denafrips Pontus II.

My key question and reason for posting is:

What I was hoping to find out here is: given there is a clock in the SOTM could I still expect a nice SQ improvement with the USB into a Denafrips Hermes DDC (or any DDC) then I2S (Tubulus Argentus) into Pontus II (or any DAC). I am no across all the science, but essentially I am wondering about the two clocks being overkill. I2S is the recommended best option by Denafrips

Mac handles Roon nicely and, I know other software/players might sound better, but Roon adds to my listening experience so I am sticking. Servers considered are the Antipodes S40 (heavily discountEd used) and Roon Nucleus plus (also heavily discountEd).

I am Assuming adding a DDC would give more SQ improvement than server change.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
I own the Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC. I installed the Hermes DDC about a month after the purchase of my DAC and no regrets. I am using the I2S HDMI connection. The sound is cleaner with an improvement in soundstage and imaging. It does not change the overall tonality/quality of the DAC.

Double E

Sep 25, 2022
I own the Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC. I installed the Hermes DDC about a month after the purchase of my DAC and no regrets. I am using the I2S HDMI connection. The sound is cleaner with an improvement in soundstage and imaging. It does not change the overall tonality/quality of the DAC.
Thanks, that is helpful. I ended up getting Nucleus and I was pleasantly surprised by an slight SQ improvement which I hadn’t expected & it functions that but smoother than the Mac and is great wit hRoon Arc. I intend to add in the Hermes early next year. Then I am set I reckon. Speaker upgrade In a year or two .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing