Dartzeel LHC-208 Streaming Capabilities Updates?

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Does anyone know if the LHC-208 has been updated to work with an iPad and stream Quboz or Apple Music through airplay? Haven't found much info about updates and full capabilities on line.

Just how good do you think the streamer, DAC and Preamp portion of this unit is in comparison to similar performing separates such examples as say Lumin Mini U1, Lampi Amber 3 and Cary Audio SPL-98 or even SPL-05? Not to mention the amp for good measure. I think if you add up the costs of the latter plus cables, it comes close to the same cost as the LHC-208. Maybe more including a comparable amp?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Does anyone know if the LHC-208 has been updated to work with an iPad and stream Quboz or Apple Music through airplay? Haven't found much info about updates and full capabilities on line.

Just how good do you think the streamer, DAC and Preamp portion of this unit is in comparison to similar performing separates such examples as say Lumin Mini U1, Lampi Amber 3 and Cary Audio SPL-98 or even SPL-05? Not to mention the amp for good measure. I think if you add up the costs of the latter plus cables, it comes close to the same cost as the LHC-208. Maybe more including a comparable amp?

hi Mike,

since you recently purchased your Evolution Acoustics Micro One's from Jonathan, who is the North American distributor for darTZeel, my 2 cents is to reach out directly to him for an answer. i would tell you if i knew the answer.....i do not. there may be reasonable workarounds for streaming.

as far as performance, based on my personal listening experience with the LHC-208, it's more refined and musically complete than those others. the amp and pre are real darTZeel's, which is the very top to me. and your Micro One's will thank you for feeding it with darTZeel.

best regards,

Mike

Reactions: RSFN and Nuprin

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Thanks Mike. I'll try to reach out to Johnathan about the streaming capabilities. I was hoping it would at least work with Roon. It's a shame my local deal doesn't carry any of the above mentioned for a comparison. They have Levinson, which has never appealed to me for their cost. The ARC stuff I have heard is good but I don't think I will get that huge jump in performance over the Cary and the Macintosh is around the same league I guess.

But, I took a leap of faith on the Micro Ones and I am more impressed by them day by day as they start to break in (75 hrs now). Also unfortunate there's no Dartzeel dealer nearby to audition but most of the people here who are way more of an expert than me seem to think highly of Dartzeel. Besides the need of a better phono, the LHC-208 would kill the four birds with one stone, improving the streamer, DAC, pre and amp in my system.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Though I'd love to use the LHC-208's built-in Ethernet streaming more often, as it does sound fantastic, but as the OP pointed out, it's a bit behind the times, and with no Roon support, I have to resort to using its (excellent) USB port. We pair it very successfully with myriad Innuos servers, and we have clients using Aurenders as well, and very happy with the results.
With the Innuos, you can use the 208 through the USB, and once its Ethernet port gets Roon capabilities, you can just switch the Innuos/Roon from USB to Ethernet.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithR

R S

Mar 13, 2021
Looks like an update on LHC 208 coming. New model being teased on social media with picture of back of unit which seems to have Dart and RCA outputs added vs current model.

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Looks like an update on LHC 208 coming. New model being teased on social media with picture of back of unit which seems to have Dart and RCA outputs added vs current model.
Do you have a link for any of those pages?

Superchunk

Feb 19, 2023
I thought I would piggy back on this thread. I just finally set up a new router with Ethernet and bought an iPad to run the Dartzeel app. Radio works fine but I can't seem to get tidal to play. Everything acts normal but when I try to play a song nothing happens. No indication it's playing on the app, no indication the dart sees any feed. I've messed around and messed around and can't find a solution.

Has anyone had anything like this? Any suggestions?

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
i don't know about that, but there is a new darTZeel distributor you could ask.

Total dream photo, for me at least.

Reactions: Hyperion

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The LHC-208 is currently waiting Roon's approval/certification. They have had the machine(s) for a good while now, so let's hope they conclude their certification process soon!

Don_Rycroft

Feb 17, 2024
London
I am a DarZeel LHC-208 MKII owner. I heard LHC-208 certification is "in the final stages"!

Reminder: the LHC-208 must be MKII to be Roon eligible. The Version 1 amp is not compatible. V1 to V2 upgrades are available from the manufacturer.

This is a GREAT sounding unit and allowed me to streamline my system and get way better sound. I never play anything I don't like the sound of.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing