Daft Punk "Random Access Memories"

oceancall

Jun 2, 2013
Though it may be a different sound than the usual Daft Punk, it was an amazing album!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Some interesting discussions about this release on the Net. There's an interview with the French mastering engineer where he says that the 24/88.2 digital master on quobuz.com (and presumably HDtracks) is the source for all other versions (i.e., mastered for iTunes, vinyl and CD). Needledrops from the LP apparently measure higher DR using the "DR meter" despite this. Not surprisingly, there is a wide spectrum of opinions about the quality of the LP pressing, ranging from "perfect" to "noisy as hell".

In all fairness, the comments about noisy pressings stem from SHF. C'mon.

FWIW, I have the 2LP. It's not the quietest record I have, but I wouldn't call it noisy. It's average in this respect. The sound is very good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yup

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Reminds me of a wedding I attended where the groom and I sang along to Modern English's I Melt With You played by a reggae cover band doing the 50 First Dates version. His nieces and nephews asked how we knew the song by heart! LOL! :D

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Don't know how it compares to vinyl, but the HDtracks recording is nice. Kinda smooth and dense on first listen.

Once sang 'Walk on the Wild Side' at a wedding in Sweden with a full band behind me. Several kids came up to me after asking wht the song was about -- all the adults were laughing as I tried to explain in PG terms.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Fans of Daft Punk- check out Disclosure "Settle."

Two 19-yr olds bringing back UK Garage from the early 90s...great, fun party music.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Late to this...

Firstly, holeeeee is this an addictive album.

Second, is the CD clipping/distorted on some songs for anyone else? Is this on purpose? Namely, the last track "Contact". It sounds like my gear is blown.

Anyway, still a good listen.

Cheers,
-Hedwig

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ok...so I'm a year late, but I finally picked this up on vinyl. I'm not a fan of electronica at all, but so many have said that I should as I would enjoy it anyway. It's not bad and certainly less annoying than some of that Trance stuff I've heard. I'll give it a good effort by playing it a few times and then decide whether it was worth a buy.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ok...so I'm a year late, but I finally picked this up on vinyl. I'm not a fan of electronica at all, but so many have said that I should as I would enjoy it anyway. It's not bad and certainly less annoying than some of that Trance stuff I've heard. I'll give it a good effort by playing it a few times and then decide whether it was worth a buy.

I must admit I prefer Tron Legacy.
Cheers
Orb

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You do know (from reading this thread) that the LP's are cut from digital masters? And that there are a few hundred different digital programs and analog processors that were used in the mastering? :cool:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You do know (from reading this thread) that the LP's are cut from digital masters? And that there are a few hundred different digital programs and analog processors that were used in the mastering? :cool:

In this case I'm not bothered by that at all. I bought it more to find out what the music is all about and to have something for any visitors that like this style of music.

Johnny B good

Nov 22, 2014
I keep meaning to try this one also, but keep putting it off for some reason
Maybe i should just grab it with my next order

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing