DACs that are designed to be used/sound best Single Ended Out?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just a counterpoint to my thread about DACs best balanced out, just wondering what are the dacs that truly sound great single ended out, indeed are designed to sound best RCA to preamp?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've heard another DAC mfg'er recommend the Holo DAC as well, saying with some work it can perform at the highest levels. Considering $40k+ for MSB (or even $15k for Formula or Totaldac) isn't in the cards right now this might be a good upgrade for my own system... Or the Schiit Yggy, I read a comparison vs the Holo where they seemed pretty close.

Lampi SE DACs are obviously an option too.

I'd call the mfg'er and ask them about the SE vs Bal outputs on the DAC if you're interested, it's the best source of info.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave, just received an email from Tim at Kitsune confirming that despite the Holo being a tad better balanced out, it’s very very good single ended, not much in it.
It’s in pole position re my move to streaming, and at under £3k delivered to UK, a bit of a no brained.
I’ll eek out max performance w Sablon Reserva usb cbl and i/c, Sablon Elite pwr cords, SR fuses, and eventual isoln on Stacore Adv platform.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Dave, just received an email from Tim at Kitsune confirming that despite the Holo being a tad better balanced out, it’s very very good single ended, not much in it.
It’s in pole position re my move to streaming, and at under £3k delivered to UK, a bit of a no brained.
I’ll eek out max performance w Sablon Reserva usb cbl and i/c, Sablon Elite pwr cords, SR fuses, and eventual isoln on Stacore Adv platform.

Monarchy M24 DAC. You will need a USB to SPDIF converter...but good ones are pretty cheap (like M2Tech or Bel Canto). It is only single ended.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
My understanding is that the principal benefit of "balanced" connections is superior noise reduction for long cable runs.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
I have the Formula DAC. Using the single ended out, I'm getting the best sound out of my system. Some have commented the balanced out is better, while 6moons review stated the balanced out sounds "oily".

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
My understanding is that the principal benefit of "balanced" connections is superior noise reduction for long cable runs.

It is beneficial for any length cable run, but the real benefit is in the DAC if it's fully balanced.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

If your plan is to do streaming with this DAC and buy a server, then it s really important that you select a DAC with a good XMOS based USB interface. If it's outboard, it will be almost as good as inboard. Outboard USB converters, I would recommend Berkeley Alpha USB:

"Sound wise – this is by far the best sounding USB/SPDIF converter I tried, better than the dCS Scarlatti transport." from one reviewer.

Frankly, I have stopped USB interfaces on my own products in favor of Ethernet/WIFI. The SQ is way better, even compared to the best galvanically isolated XMOS interface I designed. USB is fraught with impediments to good SQ. Not that you cannot overcome them, but its harder than with Ethernet. If you must go USB, I recommend the Antipodes server and the Berkeley Alpha USB converter using a good cable.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I've heard another DAC mfg'er recommend the Holo DAC as well, saying with some work it can perform at the highest levels. Considering $40k+ for MSB (or even $15k for Formula or Totaldac) isn't in the cards right now this might be a good upgrade for my own system... Or the Schiit Yggy, I read a comparison vs the Holo where they seemed pretty close.

Lampi SE DACs are obviously an option too.

I'd call the mfg'er and ask them about the SE vs Bal outputs on the DAC if you're interested, it's the best source of info.

i know someone with an Yggy, a heavily modded Gustard and a Holo dac. The holo is up for sale. Yggy is pc only and need on the fly conversion to play dsd. the Gustard killed it on DsD. Frankly, I would take a SE Lampi A+ over any of them...but the modded Gussie is a good value for money play...still does not have the exact sound I like though.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I would suggest that you listen to as many DACs as you can and if possible, in your system, to decide what you like best. Recommendations can only go so far. I have listened to DACs and brands that audiophiles rave about to only scratch my head and wonder what the fuss is all about. Some mentioned in this thread even. :D DACs are like wine, so many to choose from and a chose best made on your personal taste. After all, you have to live with them. Cheers.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
i know someone with an Yggy, a heavily modded Gustard and a Holo dac. The holo is up for sale. Yggy is pc only and need on the fly conversion to play dsd. the Gustard killed it on DsD. Frankly, I would take a SE Lampi A+ over any of them...but the modded Gussie is a good value for money play...still does not have the exact sound I like though.

I was told the Holo needs some mods to shine, hence the level, 1, 2 and Kitsune editions. I'd probably buy the basic model and do the upgrades myself, but I know the Gussie and Yggy can also be modded/upgraded. Whatever I get would be optimized as much as possible. I have a tube based buffer/pre and SET amp so I would prefer a good SS DAC. It is nice these reasonably priced options that perform at a high level exist now. I'm still not sure I'm ready to go for it as the server/streamer/etc thing seems like a deep rabbit hole that I have little interest in delving into, and most DACs seem to be moving toward an ethernet connection rather than USB or SPDIF.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

Wisnon, have you heard any of the Audio Note DACs? The 3.1 is good value (old design) but still rocks and holds up to DACs I have heard in the sub 5K range.

After a year of searching and demos, I have come full circle and realise I need to look for NOS, filterless and tube output and in my setup single ended. Anything outside of those parameters doesn't sound right to me i.e. sounds too 'digital'.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Wisnon, have you heard any of the Audio Note DACs? The 3.1 is good value (old design) but still rocks and holds up to DACs I have heard in the sub 5K range.

After a year of searching and demos, I have come full circle and realise I need to look for NOS, filterless and tube output and in my setup single ended. Anything outside of those parameters doesn't sound right to me i.e. sounds too 'digital'.

Yes, at several shows. IIRC, they sound tubier than the equivalent Lampis....but I can see the appeal.

Dave, I can see you wanting a SS Dac with your tubey setup. Iam SS electronics with a Tube Dac.

JOE, whats up??? LoL. You need a hear a proper Lampi one day. :cool:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing