CSN&Y - Deja Vu

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Why can't someone do a reissue of this?

This is an album that spoke for a generation and is important and deserving of an update, especially if remastered by one of the big guns.

Are you listening Chad? Mofi? Speakers Corner? ORG? etc.....

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Great album. I have the japan MFSL and Classic Records versions. I haven't heard that album in some time so I can't remember which version I liked best. I will have to cue it up soon.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Great album. I have the japan MFSL and Classic Records versions. I haven't heard that album in some time so I can't remember which version I liked best. I will have to cue it up soon.

If ever you want to sell your least fave of them.....PM me. :) I'm having a difficult time finding a replacement in good condition. I want a VG++ copy or better (good luck I say....).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If ever you want to sell your least fave of them.....PM me. :) I'm having a difficult time finding a replacement in good condition. I want a VG++ copy or better (good luck I say....).

Don't settle for less than mint.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have the Classic and a few other pressings- I pulled one out the other day, just out of curiosity- it was pressed by Sonic, the same plant that my collector friend swears by re the Sticky Fingers US pressing. I'll eventually clean it and play it, I can compare it to the Classic (33) at that point if I have time. I think I have the 'couch' record from Classic too, all bought back when they were still in print and not terribly expensive. The 'hot' audiophile one was always that David Crosby solo album- I listened to it a year or so ago, it was better, musically, than I remembered.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have the "couch" and Crosby as well. Both are in much better shape from what I remember, although it's been awhile.

With regard to Deja Vu I'd be really happy with a good domestic pressing, although if anyone out there wants to offer up a MoFi or Classic or others that are out there for a good price, please PM me.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The 'hot' audiophile one was always that David Crosby solo album- I listened to it a year or so ago, it was better, musically, than I remembered.

If I Could Only Remember My Name. Love that album. Phil Lesh plays bass and Jerry Gracia contributes on most tracks. The 45 rpm Classic Records version is the one to get. The 33 is not too shabby either.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If I Could Only Remember My Name. Love that album. Phil Lesh plays bass and Jerry Gracia contributes on most tracks. The 45 rpm Classic Records version is the one to get. The 33 is not too shabby either.

I've got old pressings of it.
While i got you Christian, please let me know how you come out on LZ II 'RL' vs the Classic 45 of II. Not that I need to go find the latter and spend the money for it, but I'd still like to know, since you own both.
Sorry for the thread divert, John.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Put me down for a copy.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
IICORMN is always on my top 5 "desert island" list. I suggested it as a future Tape Project release.

Bruce in PA

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I've got old pressings of it.
While i got you Christian, please let me know how you come out on LZ II 'RL' vs the Classic 45 of II. Not that I need to go find the latter and spend the money for it, but I'd still like to know, since you own both.
Sorry for the thread divert, John.

I can't decide as they both have their unique flavors...;)
I need to listen to them more to come up with a definitive answer. Considering the cost of the 45 rpm...north of $500.00, the RL is more economical and should take care of the LZ2 fix quite handily. I have EX condition. A NM version would sway me to the RL over the 45 Classic Records.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
johnny, I don't think you'll see another premium pressing of deja vu anytime soon since classic's reissue was relatively recent. I always liked the MFSL deja vu, I never heard the classic.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
johnny, I don't think you'll see another premium pressing of deja vu anytime soon since classic's reissue was relatively recent. I always liked the MFSL deja vu, I never heard the classic.

I think the mfsl is better off memory. I need to do a back to back comparo again with my current system.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I think the mfsl is better off memory. I need to do a back to back comparo again with my current system.
If you have a standard issue Piros one, try that too. Be curious how you think the standard issue holds up.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I can't decide as they both have their unique flavors...;)
I need to listen to them more to come up with a definitive answer. Considering the cost of the 45 rpm...north of $500.00, the RL is more economical and should take care of the LZ2 fix quite handily. I have EX condition. A NM version would sway me to the RL over the 45 Classic Records.

I don't think one could easily find a 45 Classic of LZII 'north' of 500, unless by north, you leave the stratosphere.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
IICORMN sounds good, period. Even the original CD, released late 80s/early 90s, was re-mastered to digital by Stephen Barncard, the engineer from the original sessions. It's excellent. I've never been sure why it is an audiophile favorite, though. It's heavily overdubbed, and the ambiance is all post-production effects. It's very well done, especially for that time, and the sound fits the songs. But there's nothing particularly natural about it; it's very processed. It's sound stage is in analog reverb boxes. And the "original performance" is, at times, a dozen David Crosbys overdubbed upon one another.

It's one of my all-time favorite recordings, but it doesn't seem to check any of the audiophile criteria.

Tim

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
IICORMN sounds good, period. Even the original CD, released late 80s/early 90s, was re-mastered to digital by Stephen Barncard, the engineer from the original sessions. It's excellent. I've never been sure why it is an audiophile favorite, though. It's heavily overdubbed, and the ambiance is all post-production effects. It's very well done, especially for that time, and the sound fits the songs. But there's nothing particularly natural about it; it's very processed. It's sound stage is in analog reverb boxes. And the "original performance" is, at times, a dozen David Crosbys overdubbed upon one another.

It's one of my all-time favorite recordings, but it doesn't seem to check any of the audiophile criteria.

Tim

I've always thought "Music Is Love" is just about a perfect pop song...magic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing