Cryoing Vacuum Tubes, Cables, Gear, etc. - Gimmick or Improves Sound

caesar

May 30, 2010
Does it make sense to cryo vaccuum tubes? Tubes are so fragile...

Maybe put that $250K Constellation amp in the freezer to improve sound?

Is this a gimmick to separate one from their money or does it actually improve sound?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Let's see. My first experience with anything cryogenically treated was in 2002 when I purchased a Jena Labs 20amp Hubbel IEC connector for my passive line conditioner dedicated to my 20amp amplifier. I was such a believer that it sat for 2 years in my tool box before I even installed it. Within a few days of continuous burn-in I realized a nice little improvement.

Shortly thereafter, I started having all my ic's and sc's (speaker cables) cryo'ed using the vapor method. Then around 2005-2006 I had my ic's and sc' double-cryo'ed using that same vapor method for an even greater improvement.

In 2007, when remodeling a new listening room, I had 500 ft of romex (designated for 4 dedicated circuits/lines) sent out to be double-cryo'ed using the same vapor method. Then I had all my wall outlets, AC plugs, IEC connectors, and fuses cryo-treated.

The inferior vapor method was a very obvious improvement and the doulbe-cryo'ing using the vapor method was even greater improvement (maybe 50% of the 1st treatment).

Around 2014 I tried having some old inexpensive silver ic's and sc's I kept in storage (they weren't quite up to par with my favorites) cryo'ed using the superior full immersion method and now I took an oath to only have everything cryo'ed using the superior full-immersion method. Those cables are now my favorites and I've no intention of going back to copper. I was later informed when it came to performance, the inferior vapor method is like eating half-baked cookies when compared to the superior full-immersion method. So it seems.

I own a custom DIY $100 cryo'ed power cable that I used at audio shows a while back as an extension cable which outperformed my $2500 PC so I sold it. A distributor at one show asked that I use his $6000 PC in my exhibit and I said I'd give it a try. It sounded no worse nor better than my $100 DIY cable so I left it in for the show. Upon my returning the $6k PC to the distributor after the show, I said thanks. But I didn't have the heart to tell him that it did not seem superior to my $100 DIY PC.

I would take a cheap cable that's been properly cryo'ed over an expensive cable that hasn't been cryo'ed every time. Oh, that's right, I already did. :)

I used to hear friends of friends who had their passive line conditioners cryo'ed with excellent performance success. If I thought it was safe, I'd have all my components and speakers (minus the drivers) cryo'ed as well.

15 years ago I was aware of certain cable mfg'ers secretly cryo'ing their products and if they were doing it then I suspect more and more mfg'ers are doing it now but they don't advertise it.

But I am kinda' surprised that after all this time you've yet to experiment with it. Come to think of it, I'm rather surprised that you have not received a single response in 4 days to your post. Hmmmm. I just assumed that if performance is paramount, then cryo-treating is a no-brainer.

If you do purchase any cryo'ed product or choose to have any of your objects cryo'ed make sure the cryo-vendor is reputable and committed to using the superior full-immersion method. The vapor method is still quite good but in comparison only gets you about halfway there. For the object to achieve maximum performance benefit the object has to reach the liquid nitrogen's boiling point temperature of negative 320.4 degrees and anything short of that is well, short of the mark.

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I think that if people were to consider cryo as being an annealing process, then there might be less scepticism. It does however, no pun intended, impart a ‘cool’ tonal balance so keep that in mind if considering. Charles at Cryogenics International is a good contact

www.cryogenicsinternational.com/processing/audio-electronics.html

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Actually, I think downplaying the sonic benefits of superior cryo-treating electrical objects to something as insignificant or trite as a "cool tonal balance" does far more to invoke skepticism.

I take it your experience with cryo-treating is rather limited.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing