Contenders for Most Musical and Best Two-Way Mini-Monitors of All Time?

caesar

May 30, 2010
It's amazing how great minis can make such beautiful music.

By musical I mean sound more like Magico Mini rather than Magico Q1. Along the same line of thought, looking for a list of greatest of all time - Hall of Fame stuff, as some of the older stuff frequently sounds so much better than the new stuff championed by the media elites (who are really marketing reps for manufacturers, helping them sell the new model).

What makes these greats sound so good and real on certain recordings?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I nominate the speakers that I have been enjoying for several years and that I think were designed by a genius as his crowning work....the Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage. I have never heard a two way that is superior and I have heard all of the current contenders, including the Q1's, and the Raidho D1's...even the excellent TAD's!

Reactions: paolo

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

By musical I mean sound more like Magico Mini rather than Magico Q1.

I love the former but have heard the latter sound equally musical and great.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I would assume the Q1s are superior to the Minis but while I've heard the Minis many times I haven't heard the Q1s. I take it you have, caesar and found them non-musical? May I ask in what way?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I would assume the Q1s are superior to the Minis but while I've heard the Minis many times I haven't heard the Q1s. I take it you have, caesar and found them non-musical? May I ask in what way?

I guess it depends what you are looking for in the sound...I never liked the Q series sound - bad tweeter, which Wolf has since changed, in effect admitting the weakness of the design, hyper-detail, and a tonal balance that spotlights upper midrange/ lower treble, which I find analytical. To my ears, the Q1 was by far the worst speaker in the q series. The magico mini on the other hand, belongs in the hall of fame.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think B&W has had some killer minis throughout the years. Anyone have any experience?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
These are not as extended as the Q1 and may not be quite as resolving, but they sound fantastic in my system. I would love to directly compare the Q1 to the Mini 2 in my system. I demoed the Mini 2 three times before deciding to buy them, and once I did, I had to upgrade by amps. These speakers require a lot of good, clean power to sound their best. I am really looking forward to a possible replacement of the Q1 with the new tweeter and midrange units and copper coupling rings. I'd love to see curved side wall too, but that might be wishful thinking.

Combining great sound with incredible looks, the Magico Mini 2 is my nomination for the Monitor Hall of Fame.

DSC_0023.jpg

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?

By musical I mean sound more like Magico Mini rather than Magico Q1. Along the same line of thought, looking for a list of greatest of all time - Hall of Fame stuff, as some of the older stuff frequently sounds so much better than the new stuff championed by the media elites (who are really marketing reps for manufacturers, helping them sell the new model).What makes these greats sound so good and real on certain recordings?

b&w silver sigs 25s best imho ... much better then mini's! they can be had for cheap too, if you can find a pair.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

By musical I mean sound more like Magico Mini rather than Magico Q1. Along the same line of thought, looking for a list of greatest of all time - Hall of Fame stuff, as some of the older stuff frequently sounds so much better than the new stuff championed by the media elites (who are really marketing reps for manufacturers, helping them sell the new model).

I think there are a few reasons the Mini 2 sounds so good and real on certain recordings:

1. Incredible level of resolution presented in a very natural way. No fatigue inducing distortion.
2. If properly set up, a great ability to disappear as a sound source.
3. For a two way monitor, the extension, power handling, and ability to play loud, enable one to play all but the largest scale acoustic music and rock.
4. They are extremely coherent and seamless.
5. Ultra rigid baffle and cabinet, and massive stands, combine to create a very solid, extremely low distortion cabinet.

These attributes together create a speaker that is able to convey timbral information, incredible dynamics and excellent scale to small to medium sized acoustic performances. I listen mostly to acoustic solo instruments, chamber music, small scale classical sonatas and concertos, and vocal performances. For these types of music in my small listening room, the Mini 2s can sound very convincing on great analog recordings.

On a side note, in my opinion, if one can find a pair on the used market, and is willing to not have quite full range sound, the Mini 2 represents one of the best values for reference level speakers.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I guess it depends what you are looking for in the sound...I never liked the Q series sound - bad tweeter, which Wolf has since changed, in effect admitting the weakness of the design, hyper-detail, and a tonal balance that spotlights upper midrange/ lower treble, which I find analytical. To my ears, the Q1 was by far the worst speaker in the q series. The magico mini on the other hand, belongs in the hall of fame.

Didn't sound that way at all when I heard it at Goodwin's for the dCS Rossini demo (together with Peter A.). Gutsy tonal balance with lots of oomph in the low mids, enormously detailed but in a non-fatiguing way, very natural sounding treble. In fact, my own dream speaker for my room if I could afford it and the amplification needed (the Magico Mini obviously is out of production).

The Magico S1 on the other hand did spotlight upper midrange/lower treble in another demo. Fun for a while, but ultimately unconvincing.

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
The Magico S1 on the other hand did spotlight upper midrange/lower treble in another demo. Fun for a while, but ultimately unconvincing.

That was my experience when I owned them. They also need some volume to get going - I thought under around 80 db in my listening room they sounded broken.

I like the Harbeth 30.1, obviously. Very musical and coherent if not the most resolving speaker. Nicely balanced soundstage. Easy to get to disappear.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
LS3/5a the 1st of mini monitors used a pair for 30years

Wall.jpg

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
LS3/5a the 1st of mini monitors used a pair for 30years

View attachment 26491

My vote also for the venerable LS3/5a--BUT NOT the current crop--only the early 11ohm Chartwells/Harbeth and 15 Ohm Rogers

I've owned all threes

Someone mentioned Magicos--not in my book anyway--sorry:(

BruceD

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Caesar

From the start you eliminate one of the best 2-way mini-monitor I have heard. the Magico Q1. Your hatred of Magico brand is really altering your perception :D. Magico is accurate by that I mean it adds nothing. It is whatever you fed to it.

On that Magico Q1 comes first IMHO

Second a Classic which deserves more recognition. The Sonus Faber Electa Amator. Surprising speaker with more oomph than they're supposed and a midband as liquid as it is possible without being utterly colored. I hosted one in my system for a few months many (20, perhaps more) years ago.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Can you provide a list of the Hall of Fame speakers you have owned and listened to over time versus the speakers championed by the elites that you have owned and listened to over time to validate your statement?

Thanks.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Can you provide a list of the Hall of Fame speakers you have owned and listened to over time versus the speakers championed by the elites that you have owned and listened to over time to validate your statement?

Thanks.

Bud, For the sake of clarity, is there a Hall of Fame for speakers, or are you referring to the list compiled by TAS in the last few years? And what do you mean by "speakers championed by the elites"? Who are those elites and what speakers are they championing?

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi

Caesar

From the start you eliminate one of the best 2-way mini-monitor I have heard. the Magico Q1.

Glad we agree on the Q1, Frantz.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Bud, For the sake of clarity, is there a Hall of Fame for speakers, or are you referring to the list compiled by TAS in the last few years? And what do you mean by "speakers championed by the elites"? Who are those elites and what speakers are they championing?

I was referring to the OP's initial post.

"It's amazing how great minis can make such beautiful music.

What makes these greats sound so good and real on certain recordings?"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing