Contemporary Vintage Design => my way to Line Magnetic Audio

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Inspired by the "Natural" and "Vintage" threads in this Forum,
I became more and more interested to spice up the German winter time with some Tube & Horn components.

My current set up, using Audionet Solid state and Avalon Acoustic speakers is benefitting from tube capabilities in the front end,
Phonostages (Zanden, Allnic, Phasemation) and DAC (Lampizator) are doing the job.

I like this set up a lot, but on the other hand, I am missing my former full tube set ups with Kondo, Air Tight, Convergent amplification and Horn speakers,
like hORNS Universums and various Zingali or BD-Design (with AER Chassis)

On the other hand, visiting friends with smaller Cessaro or Avantgarde Designs, I am happy coming back to my Audionet / Avalon gear.

Reading and inspired by all the "vintage" threads in WBF plus my personal listening history I tried to analyze, what I am missing, and what I am going to avoid.

Try to avoid:

- self powered bass units
- additional subwoofers
- DSP's
- Solid state / tube amplification mix
- big crossovers
- multiple chassis designs
- and more to come...

Try to get:

- single chassis full range system
- max 2 way plus super tweeter
- if bass chassis, 15" or even more
- minimum 95 db efficiency
- flat impedance curve
- single ended Tube Amp Design
- and more to come

Having enjoyed the AER full range chassis in different enclosures, I wanted to listen to one of the classics and I was reading a lot about:

- Saba green cone

and

Western Electric 755

chassis.

Doing so, it is easy to find the products from Line Magnetic Audio from China.
The company had investigated a lot of effort to understand the Western Electric Chassis Design and to rebuilt them at a high quality level.

WE 755 chassis:

Hommage_755_6.JPG

Line Magnetic 755 Chassis:

755exBeat.jpg

The additional connector is for the field coil connection, coming from a small power supply:

maxresdefault.jpg

Many companies were using the original WE 755 chassis to built speakers, but due to the difficulties in getting them in matched pairs, more and more companies are using the Line Magentic derivative.

Also Line Magnetic Audio has a 755 bases speaker in their portfolio. So I decided to buy the

Line Magnetic Audio LM 755 speaker, field coil version, solid state power supply.

Reading more about Line Magnetic Audio it became obvious, that I like to pair the speakers with one of their integrated amplifier Designs.

A matching partner is the

Line Magnetic Audio LM -210ia integrated

which is a 300b SET Design. To fully meat the specifications of an amplifier of "that time" Line Magentic created an AC heating design, even using 310 type tubes in front of the 300b tubes.

To perfectly meat the silver appearance of the amplifier and the field coil unit, I paired them with the

Line Magnetic Audio LP-33 Phonostage

which is a three tube plus step up Design. the external power supply comes again with a tube as rectifier.

In total this is ending up in a fair priced complete system for smaller rooms to be expected to become my entry door to a full vintage inspired tube powered experience.

The room of the installation has 12sqm and listening distance is 2,5m, which seems to work out very well.

Fortunately just one door away from my main listening room, so walking to my record storage keeps the same.

As expected, listing to this system is a different way to enjoy music.

On one hand, less resolution full range, on the other hand, more resolution in the critical midrange area, also driven by the closer listening position.

There are a lot of records I love to listen with this Line Magnetic set up, others do need the bigger set up to become a life like music reproduction.

Currently both set ups are in frequent usage and the choice is done by the individual record.

may be I should give again a bigger tube and Horn system a chance ..., winter has just started :)

IMG_5999.jpg IMG_5890.jpg IMG_6001.jpg

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I heard the Line Magnetic 755 driver a couple years ago as used in the Auditorium 23 Hommage 755. It sounded very nice! I hope you enjoy the new system.

Reactions: shakti

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is a very interesting project and design brief, Shakti!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Your adventures are always super nice to read and follow! Let the winter be looooong :)

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I became more and more interested to spice up the German winter time with some Tube & Horn components.

My current set up, using Audionet Solid state and Avalon Acoustic speakers is benefitting from tube capabilities in the front end,
Phonostages (Zanden, Allnic, Phasemation) and DAC (Lampizator) are doing the job.

I like this set up a lot, but on the other hand, I am missing my former full tube set ups with Kondo, Air Tight, Convergent amplification and Horn speakers,

On the other hand, visiting friends with smaller Cessaro or Avantgarde Designs, I am happy coming back to my Audionet / Avalon gear.

Reading and inspired by all the "vintage" threads in WBF plus my personal listening history I tried to analyze, what I am missing, and what I am going to avoid.

Try to avoid:

- additional subwoofers
- DSP's
- big crossovers
- and more to come...

Try to get:

- flat impedance curve
- and more to come

Having enjoyed the AER full range chassis in different enclosures, I wanted to listen to one of the classics and I was reading a lot about:

- Saba green cone

and

Western Electric 755

chassis.

The company had investigated a lot of effort to understand the Western Electric Chassis Design and to rebuilt them at a high quality level.

WE 755 chassis:

View attachment 85042

View attachment 85043

The additional connector is for the field coil connection, coming from a small power supply:

View attachment 85044

Many companies were using the original WE 755 chassis to built speakers, but due to the difficulties in getting them in matched pairs, more and more companies are using the Line Magentic derivative.

Also Line Magnetic Audio has a 755 bases speaker in their portfolio. So I decided to buy the

Line Magnetic Audio LM 755 speaker, field coil version, solid state power supply.

Reading more about Line Magnetic Audio it became obvious, that I like to pair the speakers with one of their integrated amplifier Designs.

which is a 300b SET Design. To fully meat the specifications of an amplifier of "that time" Line Magentic created an AC heating design, even using 310 type tubes in front of the 300b tubes.

To perfectly meat the silver appearance of the amplifier and the field coil unit, I paired them with the

which is a three tube plus step up Design. the external power supply comes again with a tube as rectifier.

In total this is ending up in a fair priced complete system for smaller rooms to be expected to become my entry door to a full vintage inspired tube powered experience.

The room of the installation has 12sqm and listening distance is 2,5m, which seems to work out very well.

Fortunately just one door away from my main listening room, so walking to my record storage keeps the same.

On one hand, less resolution full range, on the other hand, more resolution in the critical midrange area, also driven by the closer listening position.

There are a lot of records I love to listen with this Line Magnetic set up, others do need the bigger set up to become a life like music reproduction.

Currently both set ups are in frequent usage and the choice is done by the individual record.

may be I should give again a bigger tube and Horn system a chance ..., winter has just started :)

View attachment 85050 View attachment 85053 View attachment 85054
Beautiful.love the vintage speakers.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Line Magentic Amplifiers and speakers are musical sounding. Warmer but with out much loss of transparency i have the LM-3 Field coils

Attachments

• juice.jpg
    juice.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 55

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
If you have the space the LM-3 Field Coils would be the one to get. Powered by the 212 Tubes from Line Magnetic.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Try to avoid:

- additional subwoofers
- DSP's
- big crossovers
- and more to come...

Try to get:

- flat impedance curve
- and more to come

- Saba green cone

and

Western Electric 755

chassis.

WE 755 chassis:

View attachment 85042

View attachment 85043

View attachment 85044

How good do you think the LM-210 is? This has been on my radar for a few years now.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
How good do you think the LM-210 is? This has been on my radar for a few years now.
Nice Amp for the money, definitely better than LM217.
Due to the classic set up with AC heating, you will have a very little hum, if used with >95db speakers.
If you do tube rolling, the LM 210 can do much more, that with the standard tubes.
But than the price of the Amp and the tubes becomes very fast the same ;-)

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021

Try to avoid:

- additional subwoofers
- DSP's
- big crossovers
- and more to come...

Try to get:

- flat impedance curve
- and more to come

- Saba green cone

and

Western Electric 755

chassis.

WE 755 chassis:

View attachment 85042

View attachment 85043

View attachment 85044

Wow! You have been able to put together cost-no-object dream systems/combinations, it seems, whenever you get the inspiration to do so. I hold you in greatest esteem however, for your sharing the knowledge you gain from this, with us. Thanks!

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Can't wait to hear the big field coil LM rig after hearing this rig yesterday. Very tasty bit of kit.

I wish that system was playing an identifiable piece of music, instead of bird song, bells, and whistles.

kende

Apr 21, 2020
Brampton, on Canada

Try to avoid:

- additional subwoofers
- DSP's
- big crossovers
- and more to come...

Try to get:

- flat impedance curve
- and more to come

- Saba green cone

and

Western Electric 755

chassis.

WE 755 chassis:

View attachment 85042

View attachment 85043

View attachment 85044

Hi Shakti
Enjoy your amp, I have a Line Magnetic 518ia se based on 845 tubes my best amp so far. I have changed the power tube to Elite845 and rectifier Elite 274B big change. The linlai worth the money. Also the preamp tubes too worth the upgrade. I am using full range speaker pro Radian driver modified by Coherent audio, beryllium tweeter dom. 94db sensitivity . I have no hum issue. I use a good power filter.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
During the last weeks I had some updates to my experimental "Vintage" room.

I changed from Line Magnetic speakers to Altec :)
Had the chance to get some

Altec 604e Super Duplex 16ohm chassis
with
Altec 1500 crossover
and
Onken speaker cabinet

this 100db speaker makes a lot of fun :)

IMG_8224.jpg

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
During the last weeks I had some updates to my experimental "Vintage" room.

I changed from Line Magnetic speakers to Altec :)
Had the chance to get some

Altec 604e Super Duplex 16ohm chassis
with
Altec 1500 crossover
and
Onken speaker cabinet

this 100db speaker makes a lot of fun :)

View attachment 92320
Out of curiosity why would you go with reproductions if you’re looking for vintage? Cabinets are a major part of speaker design and sound but somehow easily dismissed. Who do you think had more resources and engineering at their disposal, Altec who engineered A-Z or Onken?

david

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Out of curiosity why would you go with reproductions if you’re looking for vintage? Cabinets are a major part of speaker design and sound but somehow easily dismissed. Who do you think had more resources and engineering at their disposal, Altec who engineered A-Z or Onken?

david
I am 100% with you!
But I was looking for a pair of Altec Super Duplex 604e chassis for quite a while and than they were offered close to my home,
fitted in Onken cabinets. Now I am looking for better matching cabinets, like Altec 612, than I will change the 604e to the Altec cabinets.

Last edited:

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Anyone heard their "Analog Sound" series?
The AS-125 integrated using 211 in a single-ended design looks very interesting:

Reactions: the sound of Tao

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: morricab and iaxel

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing