Confessions of an Audiophile Junky-I Got Center Stage With Pitch Perfect Sound

Audiophilehi

Oct 23, 2017
Hi Audiophilehi

Critical Mass Systems only sells through authorized dealers. In the case of Center Stage, we sell through Pitch Perfect Sound. I hope this helps.

Yes it does!

Thanks so much Joe!

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
We apologize to those who wanted to experience Center Stage first hand at the Capital AudioFest. Demand has continued to strengthen, and as a result we are unable to supply enough footers for the entire Potomac room equipment list.

We appreciate our friends at VAC allowing us to fill more retail orders. I hope you will agree this is more important than demonstrating the Total Immersion Effect at a very localized show. Obviously, we thank you for your continued support of what we believe is a break-through product.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the Best,

Joe

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
We apologize to those who wanted to experience Center Stage first hand at the Capital AudioFest. Demand has continued to strengthen, and as a result we are unable to supply enough footers for the entire Potomac room equipment list.

We appreciate our friends at VAC allowing us to fill more retail orders. I hope you will agree this is more important than demonstrating the Total Immersion Effect at a very localized show. Obviously, we thank you for your continued support of what we believe is a break-through product.

All the Best,

Joe

Congratulations Joe. I guess having such demand for a product is a good thing, though I would have enjoyed reading some listener impressions from the show. Are you looking into ways to increase production, or do you expect delivery delays to continue? From a customer point of view, I would love it for the increased demand and volume to bring the prices down, but I suspect it could also be a reason to increase prices. Regardless, congratulations for creating something in this competitive industry that people seem to be really excited about. I look forward to reading more user impressions over time.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

All the Best,

Joe

Congratulations Joe. I guess having such demand for a product is a good thing, though I would have enjoyed reading some listener impressions from the show. Are you looking into ways to increase production, or do you expect delivery delays to continue? From a customer point of view, I would love it for the increased demand and volume to bring the prices down, but I suspect it could also be a reason to increase prices. Regardless, congratulations for creating something in this competitive industry that people seem to be really excited about. I look forward to reading more user impressions over time.

As Joe has already posted we have been overwhelmed by the demand by people to own the Center Stage foot. I suppose that is a good position in which to be, but nonetheless Joe and I are disappointed that they won’t be shown at Capitol Audiofest. We are hoping to be caught up in fulfilling orders in the next few weeks and all of you who are waiting patiently we thank you for that. I will also be reaching out to those of you who expressed an interest to demo these in their systems

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you for allowing me the latitude to comment!

I always feel compelled to say that none of my comments are intended to diminish the work of my contemporaries. We all do it differently, and get different results as a rule. I respect their work.

Hi Joe,

Questions for you on your footers. (CAVEAT: out of respect for your time...and proprietary design...happy to keep it relatively high level/in principle if you are able to provide some guidance at such a basic level)

1. So the CS footer sounds bad for first several days...and then eventually as the unit on top and the CS 'get together', it starts to sound awesome
- The CS footer there is adjusted to the micro movements of the machinery on top. Flip side of saying the CS footer design 'deforms' in accordance with the micromovements...and then once those micromovements have deformed the CS footer to a certain degree...the combination of the deformed unit and the machinery are now in 'synch' such that the micromovements are countered by the deformed quality of the CS

High level/dumbed down...is this about right?

2. Generally with objects that deform/adjust over time...is there a long-term flip side challenge where a) it continues to deform, or b) the deformity process/'reactive movement' of the CS stops and therefore some of the benefit of reacting to/counter-balancing the machinery's movement is then also lost or diminished in the future?

3. Further, if one changes the music (type or volume)...does the CS footer continue to counter-balance/move/reform? presumably, the footers are actively working against BOTH internal and external movement/vibration?

To the extent possible, trying to understand big-picture approach to CS footers counteracting machinery's self-induced issues along with external system-wide issues. My sense of the world of isolation is 3 big-picture approaches exist and trying to see if this is a different one or some combination of the below:

- Adjust in real time constantly...ie, active isolation systems
- Block it out without having the blocker reintroduce its own signature...usually 'sandwiches which are dampers on top/isolation underneath
- Drain it away as quickly as possible...platforms which seek to quickly transfer vibration down and away from the unit

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Hi Joe,

Questions for you on your footers. (CAVEAT: out of respect for your time...and proprietary design...happy to keep it relatively high level/in principle if you are able to provide some guidance at such a basic level)

1. So the CS footer sounds bad for first several days...and then eventually as the unit on top and the CS 'get together', it starts to sound awesome
- The CS footer there is adjusted to the micro movements of the machinery on top. Flip side of saying the CS footer design 'deforms' in accordance with the micromovements...and then once those micromovements have deformed the CS footer to a certain degree...the combination of the deformed unit and the machinery are now in 'synch' such that the micromovements are countered by the deformed quality of the CS

High level/dumbed down...is this about right?

2. Generally with objects that deform/adjust over time...is there a long-term flip side challenge where a) it continues to deform, or b) the deformity process/'reactive movement' of the CS stops and therefore some of the benefit of reacting to/counter-balancing the machinery's movement is then also lost or diminished in the future?

3. Further, if one changes the music (type or volume)...does the CS footer continue to counter-balance/move/reform? presumably, the footers are actively working against BOTH internal and external movement/vibration?

To the extent possible, trying to understand big-picture approach to CS footers counteracting machinery's self-induced issues along with external system-wide issues. My sense of the world of isolation is 3 big-picture approaches exist and trying to see if this is a different one or some combination of the below:

- Adjust in real time constantly...ie, active isolation systems
- Block it out without having the blocker reintroduce its own signature...usually 'sandwiches which are dampers on top/isolation underneath
- Drain it away as quickly as possible...platforms which seek to quickly transfer vibration down and away from the unit

Hi LL21

To be honest, I struggle with the hyphenated categories, although, certainly CS is not an active system. I won’t claim “isolation” as it implies that, based on the substantial improvements in the performance of the component, one might assume that a shaker table would reveal a significant reduction in transmission over a broad band of low and high frequencies. I’m not saying that there wouldn’t be a measurable change, but I can tell you with certainty that I am not able to accomplish a broadband transmission reduction equivalent to this magnitude of improvement over the span of 13/16 of an inch (the height of the smaller foot).

For Center Stage to work, the 1st Law must be “in the equation”, but the 2nd Law is dominant largely through a fresh approach in material science. I’ve tried to be straightforward about this in the white paper and throughout this thread.

Having said this, #3 is an interesting question, although I cannot agree with your presumption for obvious reasons. Without exception in my experience with CS, individual songs seem to have a “perfect” volume level. You know it when you hear it. Everything clicks. It must be inherent to the recording. Is there an adaptation to fluctuations in wave amplitude.....complicated yet logical. But, I can’t say that I hear it.

I hope this helps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro how you getting along , is the break in complete ?

I do not know if is complete, but these devices are something very serious. I am only carrying break-in of one set of feet under the GAT preamplifier. The preamplfiier has been playing the Purist Audio CD enhancer at level 65-70 for five days 24/24 (except when I listen, surely) since I interrupted it one time. I was way for almost two days, today I played Eric Dolphi "Out to lunch". What a change has been operated in the system - everything was more focused and seemed more detailed and dynamic. After that I moved to Poulenc chamber music - again more focus, music lines were easier to follow but nicely blended. Next a few tracks of Savall just to confirm - yes, it was real - Center Stage seems a great name for what this product does to our systems.

There is one think that I must look with more care, needing some more listening time. Using the same volume levels in the preamplifier I systematically got the feeling that music was being played louder. Is this caused by a change of tonality? Bass seems more dynamic, but would need more substance to go along this punch.

More to follow as time slowly goes by ...

Steve Williams

I do not know if is complete, but these devices are something very serious. I am only carrying break-in of one set of feet under the GAT preamplifier. The preamplfiier has been playing the Purist Audio CD enhancer at level 65-70 for five days 24/24 (except when I listen, surely) since I interrupted it one time. I was way for almost two days, today I played Eric Dolphi "Out to lunch". What a change has been operated in the system - everything was more focused and seemed more detailed and dynamic. After that I moved to Poulenc chamber music - again more focus, music lines were easier to follow but nicely blended. Next a few tracks of Savall just to confirm - yes, it was real - Center Stage seems a great name for what this product does to our systems.

There is one think that I must look with more care, needing some more listening time. Using the same volume levels in the preamplifier I systematically got the feeling that music was being played louder. Is this caused by a change of tonality? Bass seems more dynamic, but would need more substance to go along this punch.

micro

You are now beginning to understand that the CS is a serious product. This is no tweak. As for the volume seeming apparently louder at the the gain on the volume control was eye opening for me and I know that I commented on that fact in the OP

Only Joe can tell us why this is so but micro you are only part way there as I am betting another 3-7 days. IME the deep bass is the last to come in and once this is the case I can say for me and my ears that it wasn't until I had these in my system fully broken in that I finally understood "PRAT" I have never heard it this good that when someone asks to define it, I say come have a listen and understand

What is sad about this foot is that only those who have lived with it before and after in their systems can understand what people are talking about.Remeber to do the A-B-A test because it is only after you have lived with a burned in set and then remove them that you understand what it's all about

What day are you now micro ? I ask only because I feel you have another 3-7 days to go.

Do I understand that you have only 4 in or all 8 are in use

As an aside,the best analogy I give to people especially CMS users is that the break in on CMS racks can be easily 3 or more weeks. The CS foot is designed around the very same science so all I can say to people is to be patient because the wait will be worth it

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Micro....In the fullness of time are you intending to experiment with the CS footers under your ARC REF250's ?

Steve...Is there a maximum weight bearing level for a set of x4 ? i would be curious as to their efficacy under 70 Kg electrostatic speakers.

Steve Williams

Micro....In the fullness of time are you intending to experiment with the CS footers under your ARC REF250's ?

Steve...Is there a maximum weight bearing level for a set of x4 ? i would be curious as to their efficacy under 70 Kg electrostatic speakers.

Unfortunately these are not designed for speakers. Whether this is somewhere in the back of Joe's brain, only time will tell

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

Thanks great feedback from a reliable source . Worth much more than a review in a HiFi rag . Are you using them in a tripod config or is it a quartet doing duties ? What did they replace ?

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
micro

You are now beginning to understand that the CS is a serious product. This is no tweak. As for the volume seeming apparently louder at the the gain on the volume control was eye opening for me and I know that I commented on that fact in the OP

Only Joe can tell us why this is so but micro you are only part way there as I am betting another 3-7 days. IME the deep bass is the last to come in and once this is the case I can say for me and my ears that it wasn't until I had these in my system fully broken in that I finally understood "PRAT" I have never heard it this good that when someone asks to define it, I say come have a listen and understand

What is sad about this foot is that only those who have lived with it before and after in their systems can understand what people are talking about.Remeber to do the A-B-A test because it is only after you have lived with a burned in set and then remove them that you understand what it's all about

What day are you now micro ? I ask only because I feel you have another 3-7 days to go.

Do I understand that you have only 4 in or all 8 are in use

As an aside,the best analogy I give to people especially CMS users is that the break in on CMS racks can be easily 3 or more weeks. The CS foot is designed around the very same science so all I can say to people is to be patient because the wait will be worth it

I understand that quite a few people of many who have bought the magic foot implement them to one piece of equipment at a time. Wouldn't it be better if they put all the footers they bought on number of equipments they intended to use with all in one time? My rationale is the best reference point is the sound you familiar with from your system at status quo. Inserting to one equipment at the time and given thenature of CS foot which performance go down and then skyrocket up, your ears and your brain will experience "new" sound which already confusing enough to grasp and get familiar and memorize your new reference in sound. Then you insert another set of footers which repeat the whole timely process again. This time you have to judge it to your new reference which I dont think is as easy to recognize as the sound you are so familiar at status quo. So, I think when I buy the CS footers I will put them all in at one time and put my faith on Steve and Mr.Lavrencik that they wont make things go worse but only better.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I understand that quite a few people of many who have bought the magic foot implement them to one piece of equipment at a time. Wouldn't it be better if they put all the footers they bought on number of equipments they intended to use with all in one time? My rationale is the best reference point is the sound you familiar with from your system at status quo. Inserting to one equipment at the time and given thenature of CS foot which performance go down and then skyrocket up, your ears and your brain will experience "new" sound which already confusing enough to grasp and get familiar and memorize your new reference in sound. Then you insert another set of footers which repeat the whole timely process again. This time you have to judge it to your new reference which I dont think is as easy to recognize as the sound you are so familiar at status quo. So, I think when I buy the CS footers I will put them all in at one time and put my faith on Steve and Mr.Lavrencik that they wont make things go worse but only better.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tang,

I do think this particular tweak has some unique aspects to it due to the represented process of a step back in performance and then a big ramping up. and I agree that the time involved and the swings of decline and improvement do invite a bit of aural memory displacement. of course; i'm sitting here just reading about it and then guessing as to the challenges.

not a normal process and so it takes a particularly good grasp of one's references to navigate, but it's not impossible.

if you desire objectivity; in a perfect world one would have 2 sets of the same electronics side by side ( one set all dressed up with the footers and one set not) where you could A/B over time to observe the actual delta positive and negative over that period. since we know that will never happen in the real world maybe the next best approach would be the 'baby step' approach Micro has chosen, where you only focus on one piece of gear you know intimately and keep the variables limited.

in my case, I would maybe limit the footers to my digital and then regularly compare it to particular vinyl pressings as a sort of reference to track the changes. you need some sort of outside constant.

or as Steve mentions, just throw them all in and trust your sense of reference point over time and not worry about it.

lots of different ways to view how this can be approached.

best regards,

Mike

Steve Williams

Hi Mike
Once you hear them you’ll know these are far from tweaks

Again no side by side is required.

All you need is an A-B-A test to understand what they do

People are sling about using these on their Herzan Mike. Im surprised that hasn’t scratched your interest

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike
Once you hear them you’ll know these are far from tweaks

calling it a tweak is not any criticism. it's not a rack, not a cable and not electronics. it's a tweak.

the Herzan is a tweak too.

Again no side by side is required.

All you need is an A-B-A test to understand what they do

I've not read anyone post about an A-B-A experience yet.

People are sling about using these on their Herzan Mike. Im surprised that hasn’t scratched your interest

I did hear them at RMAF as you may recall.

you were going to send a couple sets to me to try per our last phone call. if you changed your mind (which I would understand) you never told me. and don't misunderstand me as i'm not upset you have not sent them, I did not need to try them.....but I could if you like.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing