Confessions of an Audiophile Junky-I Got Center Stage With Pitch Perfect Sound

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Microstrip,

If you are referring to my posts, then stop reading my posts.

I'm posting for some friends in this forum who wanted to know my break in experience.

FWIW......You're posts are terrific. Very informative and necessary, I think. This is a new product exhibiting complex settling processes and everyone is learning from your experiences.

Please continue, is my vote............. I hope it was ok for me to toss in my 2 cents.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I received Centre Stage footers about one month ago. Below are my experiences on these footers.

I first put the CS under DAC. It was a shock. Despite many warnings, I did not expect the sound went that bad. Before the sound was smooth and after installation, the sound was sharp and edgy. I was very worried. I did PM Steve. He assured me it was normal and it will improve. The sound was unlistenable. I did not listen to the system for the next 3 days as I was busy at work and had no time listening after work. After 3 days, I started listening again. The sound was still edgy but not as much as before. I did not think I was accustomed to the sound as I did not listen to the system 3 days. Furthermore, edgy sound is something one can never be accustomed to. Over the next few days, the sound gradually became smoother and started improving. On day 7, the sound was as smooth as before and the sound was glorious. Very energetic and involving. I won't repeat all the positive attributes that were posted before. But I want to add that CS footers bring you to the recording venue rather than bring the artists to your listening room. True to the name Center Stage, the sound was presented in a close up experience. If one wants a laid back presentation, these footers are not for you. If one wants a relaxed sound, these footers are not for you. These footers will grab your attention all the time and make you enjoy the music.

On day 7, I decided to put another set under my preamp. The sound again went south. This time the sound was not as bad as before. And it went back to the same level with a relatively short time around 4 days. All previous positive attributes were enhanced. And last week, I put another set under the power amp. And as expected, the sound went worse. But it only took 2 days to exceed the previous level. My conclusion in my system is that as one put more sets in the system, the break in time become less. I still have another 3 sets to put under my external crossover boxes and upcoming upsampler. The initial bumpy ride was not nice. But if one can hang in there, the reward is great.

Another observation. I need to move my power amp to a different place. I removed the footers. After inserting the footers back, the sound was worse. But it only took one to two hours to go back to the same level.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Anthony

Thanks for posting your observations as it adds several data points. Like you I have found that moving the feet and reinserting them leads to a very short settling time but most importantly it reinforces the unpleasantness of the first few days of listening. To me this is part of the settling process and I tell all users to be patient as this is normal. The other thing that you are finding is that the more complete the signal path is covered with the CS feet the better the sonic improvement

Like everyone else Anthony you are finding the true benefits of the CS feet. You will also find that they will continue to change over the next few weeks

Thanks for reporting your findings

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
microstrip,

Thank you for clarifying your post and thank you for your encouraging words.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hope to drop in on you sometime this week Sam :)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Joelavrencik,

May I ask if directing an electric fan to blow on my components will help vibrate to shorten the break in?

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Tonight is day 8 since inserting the Center Stage footers. I'm listening to the ARC CD 7 player in my main system.

First song "Fever". For the same volume level setting, it sounds louder. There is significant additional density of body and details everywhere on the stage. It's deja vu of breaking in the Masterbuilt cables. The ambient bloom is obvious and I can feel it in front of me. The orchestra's really warm now. The solo horn is so solid, and bigger. Elvis sounds full size and there's a sense of his body's frame. Michael Buble is solidly situated and sounds like he is one foot taller than Elvis. The back up horns also sound bigger and are definitely more dynamic. The finger snapping sounds crispier. The bass is solidly planted in its location and distinctly heard even when all the other instruments are playing. The big drum set stage left is startling in the suddenness with which it plays and stops. The piano sounds more full size and I can hear more of it as the song ends.

"In The Ghetto". I can feel the ambient bloom also almost touching me. Everyone is planted on their own spots of the stage. The dynamic shadings of the orchestra's playing is very evident now. The plucking of the guitarist is clearer than before as in each pluck is so separated from the next pluck. In fact, if I wanted to, I can just pick out the guitarist and solely follow his plucking. The only times I don't hear the guitar is when the orchestra plays louder or when the guitarist stops plucking. Listening to the back up vocalists, they sing as a single unit at the start of the song but somewhere from the middle of the song onwards, I can pick out individuals from their group as some either sing louder or sing higher notes. The drum is heard and noticed but is subtle and very nicely blended into the song. The piano is still mostly buried but I can now hear it more often and when the song ends, the last note of the piano decays beautifully.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Joelavrencik,

May I ask if directing an electric fan to blow on my components will help vibrate to shorten the break in?

I have been considering destroying some inexpensive computer speakers and establishing a solid link between the speaker unit and the device being burned-in. Then the unit will vibrate in consonance with the electric signal being applied - electrons will enjoy it better!:D

But I am always a little afraid of disturbing processes when I do not understand in full the concepts behind them - although I have now read loud several known enunciation of the second law of thermodynamics to my equipment, in order to be sure they know I master it theoretically.

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Joelavrencik,

Hi Mullard88

I'm sorry for the late reply.......more travel. I'm not sure that this would be enough to make a difference. Certainly, nothing untoward should occur. Perhaps, try it and please let us know what you think. Maybe.........

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
I thought I read a few posts indicating the hesitancy of some members to provide feedback that might appear redundant. In my opinion, there's no such thing as redundancy during the launch of a product the final version of which was completed only this last September. Results across a wide range of systems would be good to know......just my 2 cents.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Here's an observation that might be worth some consideration. I was initially told to place the CMS "Center Stage" footers immediately next to the existing feet of the gear under which they were installed. I had good results but I was curious if I could do better by taking into account placing the feet with some consideration to the center of gravity of a specific piece of gear. I tried this to good effect on my VTL 7.5III. I'm pleased to say the results were noticeable, particularly in bass solidity. Whether the new placement was due to better distribution around the preamp's center of gravity, or whether it was due to other factors (placement more directly underneath the processing boards?) I cannot say. Of interest, I did not gain any performance when I tried altering placement under my Meitner DAC or transport, but they are not as asymmetrically balanced as the VTL preamp. In any event, it might be something you may wish to pursue. It's hard to beat a performance enhancement that costs nothing, and is totally reversible if it's unsatisfactory.

CMS placement 1.jpg

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sorry for the delay Steve. Equipment here has been shuttling between systems at a rather frenetic pace due to the high number of component demos so no time to allow the CSFs to get placed much less settle. It looks like the time will be when the big rig gets strapped together.

On a happy note, I'm babysitting a pair of Sierra (former apprentice and partner of Wizard Kevin Brooks) horns and am loving Keith's MLs on them. I will write something up when all the Christmas parties are done.

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
My Vivaldi DAC sits on a Synergistic Research Tranquility base which is on three Stillpoint Ultra 6’s which is on an HRS M3X. Would Center Stages be beneficial anywhere in this mix?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have always suggested testing them against your existing SP Ultra 6's.

Steve. ......

you're about 30 minutes north of me. Perhaps a drive to South Orange County for an audition in my system would be helpful

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My Vivaldi DAC sits on a Synergistic Research Tranquility base which is on three Stillpoint Ultra 6’s which is on an HRS M3X. Would Center Stages be beneficial anywhere in this mix?

Although I did not have the Ultra 6’s previously, the Center Stages were a success in my Vivaldi DAC. But be careful - these thinks are additive, I have now a tall tower of empty black boxes on my table ...

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago

Hi stevelgbch

Center Stage needs to be in intimate contact with the component to be most effective. In this scenario, I would suggest Vivaldi on Center Stage on M3X. Based on microstrip's tongue-in-cheek warning, my guess is that you will find CS very effective. :) Also, Steve makes a great offer, IMO.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sounds like you have spent some serious time/effort on isolation. I also use U6s, HRS M3...as well as Artesania. Will be intrigued to know what you discover if you try Centerstages...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My last shipment of CenterStage footers has been burning-in for almost two weeks; I am now in position to add a few words about their effect in my system.

These last footers allowed me essentially to stabilize my system – if such think is possible. Besides other components, I am mainly currently trying to evaluate what should become my preferred preamplifier – the GAT or the REF40.

When I got the CenterStage footers they went under the GAT – and after sometime the GAT became the preferred, as it got a better feeling of being there and immediacy, that surpassed what I could get from the REF40. However the more recently arrived two sets went under the REF40, one under the power supply, the other under the preamplifier itself.

I used mainly orchestral music for the listening – Russian classic concertos and symphonies, mostly Shotakovithc and prokoviev. I already had some experience with “smaller” acoustic music, I wanted to check the big hall performances. Sometime during the “burn-in” it was not easy to listen – the balance of the orchestra was not adequate for their enjoyment, seeming too “raw” and focused on particular sections. But now the balance is correct, with the addition of more delineated space and presence. Shostakovithch 8th density was enhanced since last time I listened to it, and Haitink refined vision of the small detail was better served with the footers. Dynamics had not lost anything – the Aleggro non tropo was as brutal, incisive and melodic as ever, more focused but not smaller, the depth of the stage was exceptionally delineated. The drama and tragedy of the sang solos of 14th were now more alienating, due to the enhanced focusing, but enveloped in the orchestra.

Prokofiev piano concertos allowed me to focus on the main instrument performance – the piano was able to survive in the 2nd with great presence, never being submerged by the attacks orchestra with proper scale. Bass and scale are great.

A quick digression through Ligetti chamber music also confirmed that with both preamplifiers on footers, the choice became difficult again. But I must choose one, one set of Center Stage footers must soon go under the DCS Vivaldi transport ...

A side note. I have read that some people reduced listening level after entering the footers in their systems. During burn-in I also did it, as more detail was showing and some harshness and chaos was apparent, and my listening levels (usually not loud) were reduced by a couple of dBs. Fortunately, in order to carry fair comparisons, my system is calibrated and I have quickly reestablished my usual listening levels – I was losing a bit listening at a lower level.

BTW, the shelves I am using are nothing special – just a sandwich of MDF and plywood with a damping component layer. I have been thinking if a more adequate shelve would accelerate burn-in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing