Computer Modeling of Subwoofer placement/Number

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have in the past talked about Computational Fluid Dynamics used to predict the optimal number of subwoofers and locations to get the smoothest response across a number of seating positions (most important in home theaters). I have had a very nice visualization of this that Keith Yates had performed in the process of designing our theater but I keep forgetting to upload it.

So I uploaded the volumetric version of the simulation. Later I will post the slice that is most important: what is happening at ear location.

The "iso" colors show the bass amplitudes. The ideal response would be one color for all frequencies and all locations which sadly is not possible. Three subs get us closer though than one.

The simulation is available all the way up to 1080p. You can follow the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R6S9G0RCiU&feature=youtu.be, and select that resolution and go full screen.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I can't afford Keith Yates. But if one already has a room, with some teflon sliders, a strong back, patience (lots and lots of it), measuring software (REW, OmniMic, et al) and enough existing subs, one can get there without his modeling program. Mark Seaton just did so in The Blands room for three rows of seats and I have done so in two different theaters (only one row).

Where this might really help is on the front end before room design began (and assuming there were few restrictions on room dimension limited by existing structures - like a new home).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indeed that is the best use of it: prior to building anything. The sub crawl method would not have worked in this case as one of the subs is on the ceiling :).

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Indeed that is the best use of it: prior to building anything. The sub crawl method would not have worked in this case as one of the subs is on the ceiling :).
You put a sub in the listening position and then move the microphone around the room with the RTA running on REW. It is fairly quick to check all possible placement locations and determine the best locations. However, this doesn't take into account multiple subwoofers and their interaction. For that you need to use the Computational Fluid Dynamics app that comes with the iPhone 6. :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You put a sub in the listening position and then move the microphone around the room with the RTA running on REW. It is fairly quick to check all possible placement locations and determine the best locations. However, this doesn't take into account multiple subwoofers and their interaction. For that you need to use the Computational Fluid Dynamics app that comes with the iPhone 6. :D
I thought it was the watch that had it. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing