Comparing Reissued LPs to Analogue Productions Tapes

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We often enjoy comparing and contrasting the sound qualities of original LPs to reissued LPs, and one reissue label's product to another reissue label's product (e.g., Classic Records versus Analogue Productions; DCC Compact Classics versus Mobile Fidelity), and different versions of the same title reissued by the same reissue label (e.g. Classic Records 33rpm versus 45rpm; double-sided 45rpm versus single-sided 45rpm; different vinyl formulations).

What about comparing LPs and tapes of the same titles?

Who has compared an Analogue Productions LP (or another reissue label's vinyl) to an Analogue Productions tape of the same title?

PS: I cannot wait to compare the Analogue Productions tape of Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Mussorgsky: The Power of the Orchestra to the Chesky vinyl reissue of the same performance I carry around with me!

May 25, 2010
SF Bay Area
I have all the AP classical ultratapes also on LP (original versions as well as the Chesky reissues and Classics Records and AP reissues). So far (I have the first 12 tapes, not the newest ones) all the classical tapes are significantly superior to the LP versions. (Scheherazade, Lt.Kije, Power of Orch, Rach Sym Dances, Rhapsodies, Pines/Fountains of Rome, the two Wilson tapes). I don't have any of the LP versions of the four non-classical tapes.

Obviously, for the original RCA Livings Stereo LP's, it is extremely difficult (impossible?) to get mint condition LP's from records that were issued 60 years ago. My Turnabout Rach Dances and the two Wilson albums were bought new, as well as all the Chesky and later reissues.

Many of you know that the classical tapes were from the TAS Superdisc list that HP chose starting back 40+ years ago. So that made/makes finding original issues more difficult and more expensive. Several of the tapes (Pines of Rome in 1S stamper, Daphnis et Chloe for two) are more expensive as nice condition used original record issues than they are as tapes.

I have safety masters or other tape dubs of many of the second set, so I will probably buy just a few of the second set. Interested most in the SS Organ Symphony and Ravel Daphnis et Chloe.

Larry

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

So far (I have the first 12 tapes, not the newest ones) all the classical tapes are significantly superior to the LP versions. (Scheherazade, Lt.Kije, Power of Orch, Rach Sym Dances, Rhapsodies, Pines/Fountains of Rome, the two Wilson tapes). . . .

Larry
Wow! Thank you for posting your experience with the tapes.

I have a lot to look forward to!

Aug 29, 2016
One of my favorite past time is comparing 2 track prerecorded (7.5”- 15”) reel to reel tapes to vinyl LPs and I have found 90 percent of the time the tape sounds better than the LP be it original or reissue, but this brings to mind the one exception of a reissued 45 rpm LP record I have, and when I seen that The Tape Project had a copy of this album, I had to get one, but this turned out to be a real disappointment because the 45 LP sounded much better than the tape in fact I did a blind A/B test with some friends and they all agreed the LP sounded better than the tape, the tape sounded thin and tinny also the LP had a back ground noise that was also hared on The Tape Project tape, so maybe the original master tape may not of been so great, now I’m sure the LP did have some EQ done to it, also I have a few old late 1950’s 7.5” prerecorded 2 track tapes where the reissue LP sounded better, but most don’t.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing