Comparing Lampizator Golden Atlantic TRP to Lampizator Pacific

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I know a number of people on this forum either own both of these DAC's or have had an opportunity to compare them side by side. I'm thinking about a possible upgrade early next year and will be arranging a comparison for myself shortly, however in the meantime can you tell me what I will gain upgrading from the TRP to the Pacific (and what tubes you use in each) please. For reference I am using a Psvane ACME 274B rectifier and NOS GEC KT66's in my TRP. Many thanks in advance.

David Whistance

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
TRP is a pentode. Big 7, Golden gate, and Pacific are triode dacs.

The valves will have different sounds and you have to try for yourself.

Reactions: KPC and Golum

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Yes, I know that. I was hoping to benefit from others experience, particularly as changing valves on all of these DAC's has such an impact on sound signature.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, I know that. I was hoping to benefit from others experience, particularly as changing valves on all of these DAC's has such an impact on sound signature.

To some extent these valve changes will depend on downstream equipment, music choice and then personal taste

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Yes, agreed. That's the big problem with them, it's almost impossible in a home demo to find that sweet spot without a range of both rectifiers and output valves to play with which is a big ask! When I had Greg's original Pacific here I was a bit underwhelmed, it was good but not that much better in my system, as it then was, than my Atlantic Plus. When I returned it to Greg he suggested I would probably prefer the GG based on my comments.

Since that time I've upgraded to the Golden Atlantic TRP and my system has improved quite a bit. However people have also learned how to get the best out of the Pacific so I suspect it will be much more clear cut in favour of the more expensive DAC next time if I get the choice of rectifier and output valves right, hence my mention of the set I am using in the TRP to give a reference for anyone that has heard both

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, agreed. That's the big problem with them, it's almost impossible in a home demo to find that sweet spot without a range of both rectifiers and output valves to play with which is a big ask! When I had Greg's original Pacific here I was a bit underwhelmed, it was good but not that much better in my system, as it then was, than my Atlantic Plus. When I returned it to Greg he suggested I would probably prefer the GG based on my comments.

Since that time I've upgraded to the Golden Atlantic TRP and my system has improved quite a bit. However people have also learned how to get the best out of the Pacific so I suspect it will be much more clear cut in favour of the more expensive DAC next time if I get the choice of rectifier and output valves right, hence my mention of the set I am using in the TRP to give a reference for anyone that has heard both

The point I am trying to make is if the Pac didn't sound good at yours, the TRP might but at someone's the Pac might have sounded much better so the data point will not be valid. Ideally you will want to hear both in their optimum conditions and decide which you prefer rather than get a sub optimised set up data

Reactions: Golum

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Personally I wouldn't bother with a PAC, because I think it's an insane amount of money for a D/A converter. I can afford one I just refuse to spend that kind of money on a DAC.

I have a £100 Xiang Sheng DAC with a WE 396A in it which I find totally listenable.

I seriously think a hardwired DAC is a great deal of fun because you can endlessly get it modified. Mine is off next week for its fifth iteration of mods.

So I recommend getting an original BIg 7 hardwired effort if you want to play with triodes. Then just toss around with it. I can give you loads of advice from what I have learnt so far.

There's only so many things a PAC can do really with a fixed PCB.

With a hardwired B7 you can change pretty much everything. Slam in super large caps, change the D/A board, change the USB, run multiple output caps, get much better heater regulation put in and much better control over heater voltage, use super foo wiring. The world is your oyster, really.

I suspect eventually that the DAC may end up with no original parts. Maybe the case work will sort of survive.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I do believe that what Ked said is spot on...if feasible test both in your place and see how they fit the current set up. On another note there are to my knowledge only three guys around here who posses those two exact DACs at their home and those are @Alrainbow (even having GG2 on top), @wisnon and @christoph so they can easily give their point of view on sonic differences among those two in general.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

Another issue is gain or too much of it in most cases. So make sure to get a dac with a volume control, when you do your audition. Or you won’t be able to use the best sounding tubes such as PX25 or 242s.

Reactions: bonzo75

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I agree with the comments above about it being very system dependent, but perhaps to explain a bit more......

I think the reason why Lampi is so popular is that it provides great tonality and flesh to digital sound, in an environment where many high end DACs focus on resolution which can sound thin and reedy. The Golden Gate 2 is the pinnacle of the Lampi hierarchy in this sense.

The Pacific was aimed at taking on the DAC manufacturers that focused on detail and resolution, while still maintaining the house Lampi sound.

If your system excluding the DAC is fully-fleshed tonally, then the Pacific will be a step up, as you get greater detail and nuance to the music with little give-up in tonality and timbre. If your system is on the lean side, however, you will likely prefer the GG2 as the drop in musicality will be noticeable.

When I was running Berning Quadrature Z's as power amps, I preferred the GG2 by some margin. With the Audionet Heisnebergs I prefer the Pacific by a similar margin, enough to justify the cost upgrade.

I think Ked and G-Point Greg come at this from a similar perspective.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
As I have both, the TRP and the Pacific and I aslo have several systems to swap them around, IME as excellent the TRP is (and it really IS awesome!), the Pacific is just another significant step above the TRP.
With the right (system matching) tubes (in both DACs), the Pacific is just even better in every discipline :cool:

Btw. I also had the GG1.9 at the same time I already had the TRP and the Pacific (before I returned the GG1.9 for trade-in) and the Pacific trounced my beloved trusty GG1.9 :eek:

Comparing the GG1.9 to the TRP, one could argue with different tastes on a similar sonic level.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
With the right (system matching) tubes (in both DACs), the Pacific is just even better in every discipline :cool:

Comparing the GG1.9 to the TRP, one could argue with different tastes on a similar sonic level.
Thank you Christoph, given my choice of valves for the TRP (Psvane ACME 274B, GEC KT66's) do you have any suggestions for valves to have on hand next time I get a chance to try out the Pacific? It seems sensible to source them in advance. David Whistance

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thank you Christoph, given my choice of valves for the TRP (Psvane ACME 274B, GEC KT66's) do you have any suggestions for valves to have on hand next time I get a chance to try out the Pacific? It seems sensible to source them in advance. David Whistance
The tubes you already have are VERY good. I have them too.
I prefer the PSvane 6CA7-T-M II https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/psvane-6ca7-t-mii/2-gematchtes-paar
in combination with the RK 5u4g recti by a bit, though.
Others just LOVE the NOS Tesla EL51 (with adapters) but in my TRP they distorted.
But from what others (who also own all the tubes mentioned here) tell me, the EL51 is in another league for the TRP. Go figure.

BUT. If you are on the fence for the Pacific, make sure it is equipped with very good tubes like the RK 242 or the RK PX25.
IME it is not really a contest because the Pacific is so much better in every way.
The hint regarding ordering the Pacific WITH VC is very good. I would absolutely do that as well to be completely flexible.

Reactions: kantx

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
Christoff. I use the Tung Sol 5881 with RK rectifier in my TRP (soon to be upgraded to Golden level). I also have and have enjoyed the GL KT 66 and KT77 and the EH . All current production.

What do you like about the Psvanes? Can you compare to the tubes I have used?

Also, distortion aside, what are the traits of the El 51?

Thanks for the help and take care.

BTW, sorry for highjacking this.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Christoff. I use the Tung Sol 5881 with RK rectifier in my TRP (soon to be upgraded to Golden level). I also have and have enjoyed the GL KT 66 and KT77 and the EH . All current production.

What do you like about the Psvanes? Can you compare to the tubes I have used?

Also, distortion aside, what are the traits of the El 51?

Thanks for the help and take care.

BTW, sorry for highjacking this.
Sorry to jump in - maybe or even for sure, you'll find all the answers in dedicated TRP thread as majority of the thread is talking about the tubes you're mentioning and what they bring to the table...

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
I have read that entire thread. Not much detail on the Psvane and Tesla beyond people like them.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I have read that entire thread. Not much detail on the Psvane and Tesla beyond people like them.
Hm...did you read post #923 in that thread with a lot of details on El51?

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
Golum, that was definitely helpful on the Tesla's and even a bit on the Psvanes. thanks.

Reactions: Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing