Coltrane '58 The Complete Prestige Recordings 8-lp Craft Records box set.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Was a little wary to invest in this one. I'm more a fan of Coltrane's 60s material, and the lps are mastered from digital files.

However, my vinyl reissues from late 80s are totally meh, the all-analog originals are super pricey and rarely in good shape, so I thought I'd take a punt.

I'm v glad I did. Sonics are a delight, warm and vibey without that cloying deadness many reissues fall foul of.

Mids are textured and dense, highs natural and airy.

I'm sitting here listening to songs from Lush Life, The Last Trane and The Believer, totally chilled out and wrapped in a fantastic sound.

Highly recommended.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Some mono, some stereo but all cut from 24/192K files.

Enjoy!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, for me the analog v digital divide is now more accurately: sympathetic mastering v ham fisted.

This boxset firmly in the former category.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Was a little wary to invest in this one. I'm more a fan of Coltrane's 60s material, and the lps are mastered from digital files.

However, my vinyl reissues from late 80s are totally meh, the all-analog originals are super pricey and rarely in good shape, so I thought I'd take a punt.

I'm v glad I did. Sonics are a delight, warm and vibey without that cloying deadness many reissues fall foul of.

Mids are textured and dense, highs natural and airy.

I'm sitting here listening to songs from Lush Life, The Last Trane and The Believer, totally chilled out and wrapped in a fantastic sound.

Highly recommended.

I have this too. Great stuff. I have most of the original albums but I am enjoying playing the box in order.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Some mono, some stereo but all cut from 24/192K files.

Enjoy!

I assumed this was the case but where is it definitely documented?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dminches, digital files provenance highlighted on a couple of reviews, so correct we can assume.
I'm really absorbed by this boxset. It SO blows my 80s reissues out of the water. And it deffo doesn't have the feel of a poor digital transfer.

Tonal balance is warm, but not excessively, and critically not at the expense of treble rolled off or lack of air.

Feels like a real labor of love, and essential listening if you can't afford/acquire pristine originals. Nice packaging and booklet too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing