Clearaudio MC stylus guard

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
Hi all
Just registered with the site so hope I don't break any rules... Does anyone have any experience with Clearaudio MC stylus guards? I've recently damaged a Davinci V2 cartridge while fiddling with the guard (it always seemed v tight so I only fitted it while installing new kit) and am now desperate to avoid repeat with replacement cartridge. The instructions are a bit odd. Is there a better guard on the market that will fit? Thanks very much.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi, I have a Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement. I don't like the stylus guard or the packaging. I love the cartridge and the sound.

I do not think there are aftermarket guards. I've owner Lyra's before and their guards were outstanding and easy to use. I also have an Allaerts cartridge. It has no guard.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
Hi, I have a Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement. I don't like the stylus guard or the packaging. I love the cartridge and the sound.

I do not think there are aftermarket guards. I've owner Lyra's before and their guards were outstanding and easy to use. I also have an Allaerts cartridge. It has no guard.
Thanks for this -

Many thanks for this - saves me the trouble of hunting for a better guard. Now have Titanium V2 safely fitted sans stylus guard and working beautifully. V envious of your wonderful system(s) - I think I need a larger house so I can enjoy mine more!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
:) the room is everything ! Please post your system when you can (or add a few comments here-mostly I'm curious), your Titanium v2 is a killer cartridge. I'm guessing you have a pretty nice vinyl set up...Also if this is your first WBF forum post, welcome. Lot's a great folks and points of view here!

Reactions: JeffL

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
:) the room is everything ! Please post your system when you can (or add a few comments here-mostly I'm curious), your Titanium v2 is a killer cartridge. I'm guessing you have a pretty nice vinyl set up...Also if this is your first WBF forum post, welcome. Lot's a great folks and points of view here!
Hi there - apologies for not knowing/using your name but that is presumably forum etiquette! I have a main system for serious listening and a smaller one I put together to go on using a couple of items I couldn't stand to get rid of. Main system is now Boulder 1110 and 1160, Boulder 508 phono-pre, Linn LP12 and Ittok LVII arm (cherished and regularly serviced), Clearaudio Titanium V2, and Marantz SA10 CD player. Speakers are Triangle Magellan Cellos. Room is about 30 square meters - UK houses are sadly on the small size. In the study is my little system: a Rotel amp and KEF speakers so that I can still enjoy a Musical Fidelity Nuvista CD player and - star of the little show - a Garrard 301 with SME 3012 Series II arm (both bought in 1964) and Denon DL103 cart, running through a GSP Elevator/Era Gold combo. I just love watching that black vinyl playing on the Garrard!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll try not to become a bore but it's great to have access to all this wisdom and knowledge. Happy listening.
Jeff

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
Hi there - apologies for not knowing/using your name but that is presumably forum etiquette! I have a main system for serious listening and a smaller one I put together to go on using a couple of items I couldn't stand to get rid of. Main system is now Boulder 1110 and 1160, Boulder 508 phono-pre, Linn LP12 and Ittok LVII arm (cherished and regularly serviced), Clearaudio Titanium V2, and Marantz SA10 CD player. Speakers are Triangle Magellan Cellos. Room is about 30 square meters - UK houses are sadly on the small size. In the study is my little system: a Rotel amp and KEF speakers so that I can still enjoy a Musical Fidelity Nuvista CD player and - star of the little show - a Garrard 301 with SME 3012 Series II arm (both bought in 1964) and Denon DL103 cart, running through a GSP Elevator/Era Gold combo. I just love watching that black vinyl playing on the Garrard!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll try not to become a bore but it's great to have access to all this wisdom and knowledge. Happy listening.
Jeff
Meant to add that I run a Blusound Vault 2 through the DAC in the Marantz for Hi res streaming from Qobuz and Tidal and also as a library for Cds, though the actual CD played through the SA10 sounds a bit better than the copied version on Vault.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I'll confirm that the Clearaudio stylus guards are really not very safe to install and difficult to use. I have Goldfinger Statement as well. My Koetsu stylus guards are just as bad.

Lyra have a milled slot to slide the guard on so they are precise and safe to use.

Welcome to being indoctrinated into the stylus repair club. It is bound to unfortunately happen at some point in your analog journey.

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
I'll confirm that the Clearaudio stylus guards are really not very safe to install and difficult to use. I have Goldfinger Statement as well. My Koetsu stylus guards are just as bad.

Lyra have a milled slot to slide the guard on so they are precise and safe to use.

Welcome to being indoctrinated into the stylus repair club. It is bound to unfortunately happen at some point in your analog journey.
Thanks for this. I thought it was just my stupidity/clumsiness to blame but it does seem to be a design issue. The Clearaudio distributor himself confessed to doing the same thing. Paradoxically it was a stylus issue that got me started on decent audio years ago, when I realised the pickup in my prized little record player couldn't actually track records with anything more than mild bass content. But the Davinci V2 is the only audio item I have actually wrecked...
I hope not to have to renew my SRC membership any time soon!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Jeff
I've only had 3 tables in my life. A Linn LP 12, a SME 20/2 and my current Grand Prix Audio. I've read the LP12 upgrades over the years we're significant improvements. Looking back I should have kept the Linn and the SME. Just so many memories...

Yes the SRC club isn't my favorite place to be hanging out !

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

Clearaudio gold finger is the best sounding cartridge I have ever heard.

TLi

May 27, 2016
I know a few friends broke the cantilever off while trying to put stylus guard back. It is stylus killer not guard.

You better forget the guard ?killer?altogether, put it back in the box not to the cartridge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing