Cisco 2960 compatible SFP transceivers?

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Just acquired a Cisco 2960-8TC-L V02 switch for next to nothing but it doesn't work with the StarTech SFP1000ZXST I use without a problem with my Cisco SG250-10P switch.

So many choices out there but seen as the SFP1000ZXST works with one Cisco switch and not the other, I was wondering what the best compatible SFP transceiver would be that actually works with this 2960 model?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
You should not be using the SFP1000ZXST. That is a ZX rated optic for up to 70km range! Get a LX, anything should work. Realistically you should be using an SX, which is a short range in building optic. I don’t know why audio people don’t use these. LX is 10km rated.

ZX/LX = yellow cable
SX = aqua or orange cable

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@Drikus I will need to check my notes, as I haven't used the 2960s (I had 2, 3 then 4 daisy-chained--liked 2 best) for at least three years, but that is a managed switch, so has many settings to *potentially* set. Do you know if the switch was set back to original/factory settings? This could impact your optical set-up. From memory, one of the fixtures/ports is a monitor access point. My used switches were all set back to factory config, so everything worked first-time...but using Cisco compatible SFPs as I recall.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
I don't know if the switch was set back to original/factory settings but I did a reset myself before I hooked it up just to be sure it behaved like an
unconfigured switch. I already tried two SX ones with a multimode cable like djsina2 suggested but no luck, forgot I had them lying around but it seems these aren't Cisco compatible either. He also suggested $8 ones but are these cheap ones any good for audio I wonder. Please check your notes when you got a minute and let me know what SFP's you were using with the switch at the time.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...in the interim, may I also recommend "Cisco 2960" search term (or similar) at: https://audiophilestyle.com/

User "@jabbr" is an excellent resource/search term there too.

The"Optical Network Configurations" thread is primo.

Much of the early Cisco switch chaining intelligence was over there, including non--Cisco ID incompatibility and internal config requirements.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing