CH Precision C1.2

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hello People,

Was wondering any early adaptors of the CH C1.2 dac/pre ? Care to share your impressions specially compared to the CH C1.

I plan to upgrade mine to C1.2 status most likely in the new year.

i heard they have given preference to brand new CH C1.2 units initially ahead of the upgrade boards, but now the upgrade boards are starting to be delivered.

would love to hear from any CH C1.2 owners

Many thanks

Last edited:

Brahmsian

VIP/Donor
Aug 2, 2020
Well, I have had CH C1.2 for about a week. It is still being run in and will take some more time to be fully understood and appreciated. However, at this stage, the differences are that it is more dimensional, a lot more depth and space and greater articulation of notes. It is also much more musical, especially for strings and oddly piano. The CH sound and signature are still there so it is up to you to decide whether that is a good or a bad thing. Personally, I love it.

Compared to C1, it is a significant step up. A word of warning, for the first few days, the mid-range was non-existence and I was thinking oh dear - what have they done?! So it does take time to shine but shine it will. Whether this makes it better than other DAC, I have no idea. The CH1.2 is good enough for me. Hope this helps.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Nice one Mate!

That just music (no pun intended) to my ears. I'm really looking forward to my upgrade in Jan.

Thanks for sharing - greatly appreciated

Cheers

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I just got my Dac 1.2 and brought it over to a client to hear today who had ( had i said) a dCS Dac and clock , which he now no longer owns lol
The C1.2 is way better than the old one. I am not surprised as CH doesn’t change often and after i think 6/7 years this shouldn’t surprise anyone that it’s better in every way from a C1
1st round Mike Tyson knockout
more more more
A bargain and no brained upgrade

Reactions: Hyperion

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I just got my Dac 1.2 and brought it over to a client to hear today who had ( had i said) a dCS Dac and clock , which he now no longer owns lol
The C1.2 is way better than the old one. I am not surprised as CH doesn’t change often and after i think 6/7 years this shouldn’t surprise anyone that it’s better in every way from a C1
more more more
Which dCS models did you compare it to?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Which dCS models did you compare it to?
Bartok DAC with a Rossini clock is what I now took in trade! My comments are really about the difference between a C1 and C1.2.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
more more more
In which ways does it sound better?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
In which ways does it sound better?
in every way. Its cleaner, clearer, quieter, more dynamic and more dimensional.Like I said a C1 was a really good machine but its really old in the digital world and now its not ! I had a 7 box C1 mono which I got almost 5 years ago and then I got to listen to some of the new modern digital p[ieces like the Wadax and MSB select and you could hear what the CH didn't do and then they made a few improvements with the straming board , the HD board and now with the 1,2 update and they have totally changed what it is capable of. It may not be the Wadax, ( which it isnt) but it is a much improved contender in the digital world and really excellent item for what it is priced at. I am sure it will give its competition a run for thier money.

Reactions: Jambo and MadFloyd

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
in every way. Its cleaner, clearer, quieter, more dynamic and more dimensional.Like I said a C1 was a really good machine but its really old in the digital world and now its not ! I had a 7 box C1 mono which I got almost 5 years ago and then I got to listen to some of the new modern digital p[ieces like the Wadax and MSB select and you could hear what the CH didn't do and then they made a few improvements with the straming board , the HD board and now with the 1,2 update and they have totally changed what it is capable of. It may not be the Wadax, ( which it isnt) but it is a much improved contender in the digital world and really excellent item for what it is priced at. I am sure it will give its competition a run for thier money.
Thanks, Elliot.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
First of all, the C1.2 is a completely new dac. I saw what was replaced inside, and it’s almost everything - it’s really amazing.
Second, for me, the most improved aspect in sound is the added meat-on-the-bones, mid and mid-bass frequencies have more weight without losing any of the details on the frequency extremes.
Of course, you also get full MQA capable decoding, which is nice if you use Tidal.

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
First of all, the C1.2 is a completely new dac. I saw what was replaced inside, and it’s almost everything - it’s really amazing.
Second, for me, the most improved aspect in sound is the added meat-on-the-bones, mid and mid-bass frequencies have more weight without losing any of the details on the frequency extremes.
Of course, you also get full MQA capable decoding, which is nice if you use Tidal.
Well, its not a "completely new dac' at all! If you bother to actually look at the specs of the both C1 and C1.2 at their site, the C1 used 4 (NOS-from 2010) Burr Brown 1704 chips per channel configuration, the most important component in any dac...Well, what do you know: THOSE 1704 chips ARE STILL THERE in the same capacity in the the new C1.2. Same for the other crucial components that are too numerous and technical to list here So please stop with all the wildly exaggerated claims on matters that you obviously have no idea about.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden

That's a really nice and interesting system you've got there.

Reactions: iaxel

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I like your post.
Let’s agree to disagree on the above statement.
Well, thanks for being gracious.... However the last I ve checked the term DAC means digital to analog converter , and as strange as it may sound the DAC without digital to analog conversion chip (or an alternate digital to analogue conversion process) is NOT a DAC! ;)

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Well folks, my dealer just informed me my upgrade kit has just arrived, what a bummer I can’t take it now as I’m going on holidays this coming Friday. My dealer is in another state, so will take a couple of days for the kit to arrive, so did not want to risk it arriving after I’ve gone on my hols. So I’ve asked him to ship it beginning second week of Jan, when i’m back. Really looking forward to it !

i’m looking forward to my hols… then one normality get the blues, having to go back to work. Which for once won’t be the case as I’ll getting my C1 upgraded to C1.2

Well folks, I wish every one a Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year !

My pressie was picked up from Switzerland and personally delivered by Santa to Australia, because I was such a good boy ! LOL

Last edited:

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Just FYI, there is a great review of the C1.2, D1.5, X1 and T1 in the new issue of Stereophile.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
2023-01-03 17.00.56.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing