CH Link HD

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Hello to all my fellow CH owners! Has anyone upgraded the CH Link to the new HD? Thoughts?
Thanks in advance guys!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Zbub, thanks for the question and your interest. I’ve personally done the upgrade to my C1 several months ago and love the improvements. The overall presentation has become more open, richer, more extended at both ends of the spectrum. I’m biased of course! Read the review of Marshall Nack from Positive feedback. You can find it on our web-site under Media->Reviews or here:
https://www.ch-precision.com/en/advert/reviews

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Sorry, hit “Post Reply” instead of preview before I was finished.

The HD upgrade consists of an upgraded digital output card for the D1 transport, a digital input card for the C1 DAC, and a new HD-Link Cable. In the C1, we have implemented an improved upsampling algorithm and digital filter which that together are partly responsible for the improvements. These upgrades can be done by a dealer at your house in a matter of an hour for the C1/D1 and new HD-Link cable.

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Zbub, thanks for the question and your interest. I’ve personally done the upgrade to my C1 several months ago and love the improvements. The overall presentation has become more open, richer, more extended at both ends of the spectrum. I’m biased of course! Read the review of Marshall Nack from Positive feedback. You can find it on our web-site under Media->Reviews or here:
https://www.ch-precision.com/en/advert/reviews

Hi there. As much as I prefer spinning physical discs versus streaming via Melco NAS, I’ve always thought the music from D1 via CH Link to be a tad bright. Does the new HD link (cable and I/O boards) addresses that issue?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Zbub, I never thought the original D1/C1/CH-Link combination bright so its hard for me to answer your question. The HD platform improved the performance of our digital front-end to be sure and that includes the high frequency presentation. I hear it as more open now. I don’t consider D1/C1/HD-Link the least bit bright. If you write me a note at my email listed below, and let me know where you live, you might be able to visit one of our dealers and hear the D1/C1/HD-Link combination.

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Zbub, I never thought the original D1/C1/CH-Link combination bright so its hard for me to answer your question. The HD platform improved the performance of our digital front-end to be sure and that includes the high frequency presentation. I hear it as more open now. I don’t consider D1/C1/HD-Link the least bit bright. If you write me a note at my email listed below, and let me know where you live, you might be able to visit one of our dealers and hear the D1/C1/HD-Link combination.

Hi Ralph, I certainly didn't mean the brightness in an overly negative way; D1/C1 sounds more alive and palpable than NAS/C1 in my system, so if that means "a tad brighter" to my ears then so be it. D1/C1 is still the only one digital system I'd rather own personally.
According to your description, if the new HD-Link improves the top end frequency extreme that's very promising. When the top end extension is there (such as SACD/DSD) it could sound a little smoother and soft(er) than redbook, so that could be very beneficial for me. I am in SoCal and I think the nearest dealer to me is in the Bay Area. One of these days I definitely need to arrange an audition...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Sorry, hit “Post Reply” instead of preview before I was finished.
The HD upgrade consists of an upgraded digital output card for the D1 transport, a digital input card for the C1 DAC, and a new HD-Link Cable. In the C1, we have implemented an improved upsampling algorithm and digital filter which that together are partly responsible for the improvements. These upgrades can be done by a dealer at your house in a matter of an hour for the C1/D1 and new HD-Link cable.

Hello Rsorren1,
A C1 owner friend of mine said that upgrading the digital input card of his C1 brought about the sonic improvement you just mentioned, even though he didn't have a D1 and listen only via the C1 ethernet card.

So the new C1 digital input card can give improvement also to C1 usb input users too?

Thanks!

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
So the new C1 digital input card can give improvement also to C1 usb input users too?

I chatted with CH about the HD-Link, and their reply was - "The HD link improves every input of the C1, even the ones which are not on the actual board. The HD board in the C1 has some processing power that allows us to perform a more evolved upsampling process."

So your friend's feedback validated what CH said. This is also good news for me. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: CKKeung

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi Everyone. The HD upgrade to the C1 improves all digital inputs. The improved upsampling algorithm and digital filter are used on all digital inputs; from the D1 via HD-Link, on USB, on ethernet, on AES/EBU, etc.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Everyone. The HD upgrade to the C1 improves all digital inputs. The improved upsampling algorithm and digital filter are used on all digital inputs; from the D1 via HD-Link, on USB, on ethernet, on AES/EBU, etc.

A very good news!

BTW may I know how many hardware versions of C1 usb card and ethernet card are there?

Although there are confounding factors, most of my C1 owner friends in Hong Kong think that the ethernet card gives better performance than the usb card.

Thank you again!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
CKKeung, thanks for your posts. Today there is only one version of the USB and ethernet cards. We use them in our C1 and our I1. Same card. Prior to the HD upgrade, I agreed with your friends in Hong Kong and believed that the ethernet streaming was slightly better than USB. Now, with HD, for me it’s too close to call!

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing