CES 2023

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Is it just me?? It's hard to believe CES has come and gone in Las Vegas and I haven't seen a single post from any WBF attendee?
Did anyone attend?
(Does anyone care, anyway?)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The High End portion of CES -- originally a venue for manufacturers, distributors and dealers to show their wares and to do business and for press coverage of rooms and new products -- it is not what it used to be.

I often got notices about who is going to be in what room. I don't get those anymore. My publication sent people to RMAF (rip) and AXPONA and has interest in smaller shows like CAF, PAF, etc. but no CES. Do you see any print or e-zine publications with CES coverage? I saw nothing from Positive Feedback.

Ask industry members: did you have a room this year? It was quite expensive to attend.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
CES was in theory a dealer only show, not intended for consumers. you had to make up your own company or associate with another company to get a badge. i went to 4 or 5 CES's back in the day and did enjoy them, but more hobbyist shows like RMAF and Axpona supplanted CES and i think the cost of Vegas became prohibitive for the high end. CES did not really know what to do with the High End 2 channel vendors. then Munich became 'Munich' and replaced CES as the world wide 'High End' spot.

plus the week after New Years was not ideal for the hobbyist. CES is in that date slot as it was after the Holiday selling season so the right time to talk about new 'consumer' things. that's when electronics dealers (the customers of the vendors) had time to investigate products and buy stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elliot G.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
very difficult to navigate and use your time wisely as everything was off premises towards teh end and in various different hotel locations

Scaena1

Industry Expert
Sep 13, 2010
CES wasn’t interested in the high end audio community or promoting same. We were an afterthought and when they moved to the Venetian, essentially escaping T.H.E. SHOW next door- they ultimately killed them both. That and the rise of regional shows(AXPONA,RMAF,etc) and of course, the Munich show.

Reactions: ddk and Elliot G.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is it just me?? It's hard to believe CES has come and gone in Las Vegas and I haven't seen a single post from any WBF attendee?
Did anyone attend?
(Does anyone care, anyway?)
Alexis Park was when it was fun which included The Show next door, there was an incredible vibe. @Scaena1 is correct about Venetian, the vibe changed. I don’t think regional shows were any real competition to CES international attendance was still strong but it almost died overnight with Munich. Overseas visitors never came back.

david

Reactions: MRJAZZ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing