Center Stage2 "LS" Series Loudspeaker Feet

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Joe,

Just wondering if you made any progress on this?
As I am hoping to be able to use the LS0.8 on my ATC 100 Active which is on a stand.

Thank you

David.
This is a client of mine who uses the LS 0.8 under his floor stands

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
This is a client of mine who uses the LS 0.8 under his floor stands

He's using then under his floor stands - as in between the stands and the floor, or under his speakers sitting on the floor stands?

battles

Dec 11, 2011
Hi Joe, et al,

I own Göbel Marquis speakers each weighing in at 350lbs. Oliver (owner designer at Gobel) has gone to great lengths to develop a cabinet that is extremely dense and inert. Saying that, the speakers sit upon a limestone floor on top of a pier and beam foundation that has 4 feet of crawl space below. The speakers prodigious bass output often excites resonance in the floor which muddies up the presentation of the music and may be partially responsible for a 100-120Hz mode at my listening position. Given my room/flooring challenges, do you believe your CS LS footers would go a long way to isolating the speakers from the floor, or given my particular issue, would you suggest other options such as the ultra platforms made by Symposium that I believe Mike at Suncoast uses under his MBLs?

Thanks
Battles

joelavrencikCMS

Industry Expert
Jul 30, 2021
Hi Joe, et al,

I own Göbel Marquis speakers each weighing in at 350lbs. Oliver (owner designer at Gobel) has gone to great lengths to develop a cabinet that is extremely dense and inert. Saying that, the speakers sit upon a limestone floor on top of a pier and beam foundation that has 4 feet of crawl space below. The speakers prodigious bass output often excites resonance in the floor which muddies up the presentation of the music and may be partially responsible for a 100-120Hz mode at my listening position. Given my room/flooring challenges, do you believe your CS LS footers would go a long way to isolating the speakers from the floor, or given my particular issue, would you suggest other options such as the ultra platforms made by Symposium that I believe Mike at Suncoast uses under his MBLs?

Thanks
Battles
Hi Battles

There may be causal differences between the muddiness you're experiencing and the mode at your listening position (unless they occur simultaneously). The muddiness, I think, the LS feet would cure. They will greatly reduce resonances in your loudspeaker cabinets. I'm not concerned about the floor affecting performance with respect to the LS feet. The mode at your listening position would likely cure if it were related to the cabinet resonances in your loudspeakers. Otherwise, you may have a set up issue and this could be cured with some careful loudspeaker positioning changes.

battles

Dec 11, 2011
Hi Battles

There may be causal differences between the muddiness you're experiencing and the mode at your listening position (unless they occur simultaneously). The muddiness, I think, the LS feet would cure. They will greatly reduce resonances in your loudspeaker cabinets. I'm not concerned about the floor affecting performance with respect to the LS feet. The mode at your listening position would likely cure if it were related to the cabinet resonances in your loudspeakers. Otherwise, you may have a set up issue and this could be cured with some careful loudspeaker positioning changes.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Joe. So to be specific, let’s say during heavy bass tracks that notably excite my floor and cause the limestone surface to resonate and vibrate, will the design of the CS LS prevent this vibration from being transmitted up from the floor into the speaker cabinet as well as any resonances originating from the cabinet being transmitted to the floor? Just wanting to confirm that this, indeed, would be the right tool to ameliorate my particular issue or if there might be more suitable isolation options. I agree that the room mode is a separate issue, but according to my wife, I am not authorized to move the speakers or my listening position from where they are now :)

joelavrencikCMS

Industry Expert
Jul 30, 2021
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Joe. So to be specific, let’s say during heavy bass tracks that notably excite my floor and cause the limestone surface to resonate and vibrate, will the design of the CS LS prevent this vibration from being transmitted up from the floor into the speaker cabinet as well as any resonances originating from the cabinet being transmitted to the floor? Just wanting to confirm that this, indeed, would be the right tool to ameliorate my particular issue or if there might be more suitable isolation options. I agree that the room mode is a separate issue, but according to my wife, I am not authorized to move the speakers or my listening position from where they are now :)
We should never let our wives meet. :) I'm kidding, of course, but you made me laugh. That was a good one.

So, here's where I get tripped up...... The LS feet will look upward into the cabinets and reduce resonances. Of this, I am certain.

And let's say for the sake of argument they will lessen the issue in the opposite direction.

The above may not fully resolve your issue. Your description of the floor movement suggests a secondary issue. The longitudinal mechanical waves generated by your loudspeakers will STILL excite your floor as the bass waves move across the surface toward your listening position.

In fact, I suggest to you that your loudspeakers will produce deeper, clearer bass. What I cannot know for obvious reasons, is how your floor will react. It may oscillate with a greater amplitude in response to the waves. It may not.

The risk I see is purchasing the feet only to find that your floor is indeed the issue and remains so. Having said this, your alternative would be to better support the floor from underneath to reduce its movement.

Is this a bad thing? No. With high quality loudspeakers like yours, you would be miles ahead isolating the problem and reducing it to the greatest extent possible. You wouldn't be the first person to take this step.

If it weren't for your description of the floor movement, I would say, yes buy the feet without hesitation. In this case, I have to say, yes I think the feet would definitely take your speakers to a higher level of performance but they may uncover a 2nd issue that will never be resolved without direct further action by you.

This as honest as I can be..... I hope our exchange helped you.

battles

Dec 11, 2011
Yes, Joe, very helpful and thanks for your honest appraisal of my room situation. Sounds like I should explore my floor situation further before I proceed with investing in a cure that that doesn't materially address the root of my problem. Stay tuned and thx again!

teeraash

Sep 12, 2021
Hi Joe,
I read from page 2 that the CS2 doesn't work on AR Pre (6SE) and pre phono but does it work on AR 160M and Emm Labs DV2? Thanks.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Hi Joe,
I read from page 2 that the CS2 doesn't work on AR Pre (6SE) and pre phono but does it work on AR 160M and Emm Labs DV2? Thanks.
FYI This is the LS thread....

teeraash

Sep 12, 2021
^We have learned over time that CS2 will not work properly with components with an acrylic bottom or an over-damped bottom plate. Most notably Audio Research Ref 6 pre and phono and some Burmester components.

Joe mentioned about CS2 in this thread, that is why I asked him here.

teeraash

Sep 12, 2021
You are correct about the AR ref6.

CS2 and CS2M work fine under the 170 and the DV2.
Thanks Joe. I might try CS2 LS first. Any suggestions or comments on using these feet on Sonus Faber Il Cremonese Extr3m. The speakers have 2 ports at the bottom but i think they could accommodate the LS 1.5 with 3" diameter. I'm using the SF with 2 JL Audio subwoofers via active xo at 90 Hz / 24 db octave. Thus the SF speakers don't have to work very hard on LF. Therefore, should I go with the LS 1.0 instead?

StefanT

Mar 28, 2014
Hi Joe,
Just to inform that normally AR stands for Acoustic Research. From Wikipedia (below).

"Acoustic Research, Inc. (“AR”) was founded in 1954[1] by audio pioneer, writer, inventor, researcher and audio-electronics teacher Edgar Villchur and his student, Henry Kloss. The brand is now owned by VOXX. Acoustic Research was known for the AR-3 series of speaker systems, which used the 12 in (300 mm) acoustic suspension woofer of the AR-1 with newly designed dome mid-range speaker and high-frequency drivers. AR's line of acoustic suspension speakers were the first loudspeakers with relatively flat response, extended bass, wide dispersion, small size, and reasonable cost."

For Audio Research Corporation, the acronym ARC is normally used.

joelavrencikCMS

Industry Expert
Jul 30, 2021
Thanks Joe. I might try CS2 LS first. Any suggestions or comments on using these feet on Sonus Faber Il Cremonese Extr3m. The speakers have 2 ports at the bottom but i think they could accommodate the LS 1.5 with 3" diameter. I'm using the SF with 2 JL Audio subwoofers via active xo at 90 Hz / 24 db octave. Thus the SF speakers don't have to work very hard on LF. Therefore, should I go with the LS 1.0 instead?
So long as the feet can be placed on a flat surface underneath your loudspeaker, you could use either model. There is a budget consideration, of course. But if performance is your primary consideration, then definitely go with the LS1.5. There's definitely more "there", there. Steve can tell you the difference as he has heard both under his speakers...

I hope this helps.

Joe

Reactions: teeraash

joelavrencikCMS

Industry Expert
Jul 30, 2021
Just to inform that normally AR stands for Acoustic Research. From Wikipedia (below).

"Acoustic Research, Inc. (“AR”) was founded in 1954[1] by audio pioneer, writer, inventor, researcher and audio-electronics teacher Edgar Villchur and his student, Henry Kloss. The brand is now owned by VOXX. Acoustic Research was known for the AR-3 series of speaker systems, which used the 12 in (300 mm) acoustic suspension woofer of the AR-1 with newly designed dome mid-range speaker and high-frequency drivers. AR's line of acoustic suspension speakers were the first loudspeakers with relatively flat response, extended bass, wide dispersion, small size, and reasonable cost."

For Audio Research Corporation, the acronym ARC is normally used.
So to be specific, the critical issue is acrylic. And I mean pure acrylic, not a mix of constituents part of which is a minor percentage of acrylic polymer.

The only components I know of that meet this standard are the Audio Research Ref6 pre and phono and ASR.

If you own those, I'm sorry but our feet are not a match.

I hope this helps.

marcbrown

Apr 17, 2018
Hey Joe, where did you go with that plan in your hand to make a cradle for your footers and will that make it much easier to use under my Sophia 3s? Have you finalized design? Thanks marc brown

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing