Center Stage2 "LS" Series Loudspeaker Feet

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Yes as per Steve's post above --I asked the question of Joe a couple of months back re the possibility of the Footers functioning under my SFG Homages which also have the Granite based stands.
He would not recommend the footers in my case.

BruceD
Hi Bruce

I think the website described a damping material added to the base of your loudspeakers. This had me concerned. Please correct me if I am misremembering.......

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Hi Steve...the 7-8 days I could live with. Some have reported 21-30 days; would be try my endurance.
The settling time seems to be dependent upon the driver array, the cabinet configuration and the cabinet materials. Most high performance loudspeakers are complex with respect to these 3 elements. It may be the case that newer loudspeakers are more complex than older loudspeakers. This being said, I'm not sure 21 to 30 days is a bad thing in the scheme of things. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter

This is an excellent question. I am saying I want to see what I can do with the LS0.8 before I answer this definitively. I don't know the answer yet, to be clearer.

Joe

Thank you Joe. I’ll be curious to know whether you think they should go between the speaker in the stand or underneath the stand at the floor.

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Hmm-- I see the screws are there for a legitimate reason, fair enough--I would hope they are countersunk enough to avoid scratching/marking
expensive flooring if one wishes to make slight changes( edging/etc) to a different speaker position.
I presume this factor has been taken into account.

BruceD
Yes, we tried to make the bottom of the spike cup (saucer) as smooth as possible. Yes, the screw heads are out of the way.

Reactions: BruceD

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Actually, if I look closely, I think he has actually done better than that. He appears to have mitred the inner edge of the screw hole. Which indicates not only countersunk the screw itself, but even the inner edge of the screwhole slopes INWARD.
Yes, inset and countersunk. Nice catch!

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
It’s not an issue Bruce. you can’t even see the screws unless you turn the foot upside down
To add a bit more context, the saucer and the silver base above it are nothing more or less than a height adjustable spike cup. The spike is anchored out of sight inside the silver base.

The saucer is anodized black and the silver base is not anodized at all. Eventually, you have to hold these 2 pieces together and since every joint affects the sound, we wanted to find a material that was (at the very least) sonically invisible. These screws actually help. They are the best material available for our purpose.

The good news is you only see them once. :)

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
Joe, may I ask if in the case of my YG Sonja 2.2 with their rather narrow strips at the bottom it would help to use a flat plate big enough to cover the LS 1.5 feet completely as a kind of adapter between LS CS2 and the bottom of the speaker?
I'm very interested in your LS CS2 and I think the Sonja deserves to get the best possible enhancements.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hi Bruce

I think the website described a damping material added to the base of your loudspeakers. This had me concerned. Please correct me if I am misremembering.......
Hi again Joe ,
Thank you for the reply--Yes you are correct, I cannot say for the current Gaurneri' mine are originals mid 90's and have a very fine layer of a slightly roughened black coating under each speaker itself. Whether that factor would mean a footer could be inserted under the speaker
or not -I feel the increased height may be a problem with normal domestic listening seating .

The tweeter is already 56" off the ground--tad tricky to get to ear level--!
I use a Salon height pump chair as it is fine for Moi--too bad for any others ;)

I will wait till my next speaker purchase then, indulge with the Footers--thank you and Kudos on the product!

BruceD

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Joe, may I ask if in the case of my YG Sonja 2.2 with their rather narrow strips at the bottom it would help to use a flat plate big enough to cover the LS 1.5 feet completely as a kind of adapter between LS CS2 and the bottom of the speaker?
I'm very interested in your LS CS2 and I think the Sonja deserves to get the best possible enhancements.
Hi micro 13

Are the spikes longer in the back than in the front.......more or less a tilted cabinet?

Thanks

Joe

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
Hi micro 13

Are the spikes longer in the back than in the front.......more or less a tilted cabinet?

Thanks

Joe
The spikes in the back are the same as the one in the front.
But to aim the tweeter to my ears I lowered the front spike a bit. So yes, with this setting the bottom is slightely tilted.
I guess this is a problem because the CS2 need a horizontally levelled contact area? Or is there some tolerance?

Thanks, Michael

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
The spikes in the back are the same as the one in the front.
But to aim the tweeter to my ears I lowered the front spike a bit. So yes, with this setting the bottom is slightely tilted.
I guess this is a problem because the CS2 need a horizontally levelled contact area? Or is there some tolerance?

Thanks, Michael
Hi Michael

I'm not that concerned about the slight upward tilt of the cabinet front to back. The LS feet are height adjustable, so you could elevate the back, if needed. I'm concerned about inserting a plate. I feel like CMS would need to fabricate this to ensure it integrates with our technology. We're simply not at the point where we could do this for you.

I have read that the Haley jumps to Sonja level performance in the opinion of listeners in Hong Kong; an indicator that LS is quite compatible with YG loudspeakers. So, Sonja should jump as well. Perhaps we could revisit this in 2021. I am not ruling out the possibility of a solution for you.

I hope the honesty helps.....

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
Hi Michael

I'm not that concerned about the slight upward tilt of the cabinet front to back. The LS feet are height adjustable, so you could elevate the back, if needed. I'm concerned about inserting a plate. I feel like CMS would need to fabricate this to ensure it integrates with our technology. We're simply not at the point where we could do this for you.

I have read that the Haley jumps to Sonja level performance in the opinion of listeners in Hong Kong; an indicator that LS is quite compatible with YG loudspeakers. So, Sonja should jump as well. Perhaps we could revisit this in 2021. I am not ruling out the possibility of a solution for you.

I hope the honesty helps.....
Hi Joe, thanks for your honesty, appreciate it. I didn't expect from you to solve the issue with the Sonja, I fully understand that you're not at the point were you can do this. Maybe you'll find a solution at a later point in time - I think there will be a lot of Sonja owners happy to be able to use your LS.
I also read about the guys from HK who tried the LS under their Hailey. Maybe I should have keep my Hailey instead of upgrading to Sonja ;-). Still I'm happy I did it, the Sonja is in another league. But at least the bottom of the Hailey is completely flat and compatible with your LS.

siddh

Oct 2, 2012
The settling time seems to be dependent upon the driver array, the cabinet configuration and the cabinet materials. Most high performance loudspeakers are complex with respect to these 3 elements. It may be the case that newer loudspeakers are more complex than older loudspeakers. This being said, I'm not sure 21 to 30 days is a bad thing in the scheme of things. :)
Hi Joe,
Question about the height of the 1.5 and 1.0. The Avalon cones are slightly under 1". The Stillpoint Ultra SS, which are now supporting the speaker is slightly over 1". My concern of how it will impact the audio, if I raise the Avalon and additional 1-3". Also, the Avalon is bottom ported.
Thanks..have a nice holiday, Steve

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Hi Joe,
Question about the height of the 1.5 and 1.0. The Avalon cones are slightly under 1". The Stillpoint Ultra SS, which are now supporting the speaker is slightly over 1". My concern of how it will impact the audio, if I raise the Avalon and additional 1-3". Also, the Avalon is bottom ported.
Thanks..have a nice holiday, Steve
Hi Steve

I hope you are having a peaceful Christmas. The feedback we've accumulated from owners of different loudspeakers tells us that raising the tweeter position has not been a problem. Over many years I've been trained to believe that tweeter position is super critical, but the feet seem to have an effect on the soundstage that brings this into question. I don't have enough feedback yet to say it is a total non-issue. The good news is that the feet are height adjustable and the back end of the loudspeakers can be lifted to rake your Avalons, should you desire.

The port is an issue. The feet need to press against the bottom of the loudspeaker, so there has to be enough real estate down there to cover the 3" diameter surface of each of the LS1.5 or the 2.375" surface of each of the LS1.0.

I hope this helps.

siddh

Oct 2, 2012
Hi Steve

I hope you are having a peaceful Christmas. The feedback we've accumulated from owners of different loudspeakers tells us that raising the tweeter position has not been a problem. Over many years I've been trained to believe that tweeter position is super critical, but the feet seem to have an effect on the soundstage that brings this into question. I don't have enough feedback yet to say it is a total non-issue. The good news is that the feet are height adjustable and the back end of the loudspeakers can be lifted to rake your Avalons, should you desire.

The port is an issue. The feet need to press against the bottom of the loudspeaker, so there has to be enough real estate down there to cover the 3" diameter surface of each of the LS1.5 or the 2.375" surface of each of the LS1.0.

I hope this helps.
Hi Joe...what is the minimum height of the 1.0? Might I be better off waiting for 0.8?
Thanks, Steve

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Ive been burning in my LA1.5 feet since last Tuesday. MY speakers are a set of Acapella Campanielle 2 Horns which ive been using with a Lampi Pacific and Lampi Pac 211 monos for the past few years.

My system sounds terrific to my ears, providing daily enjoyment. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from CMS LS footers, and really hadnt done much with footers under most of the equipment. The Lampi gear ships Stacore footers, and I have a lot of respect for Stacore. I do have the front end equipment under Stacore Advanced Platforms and the Monoblocks under HRS M3X series platforms and SXR stands.

In any event, I felt like things were mostly thought thru and sorted.

The introduction of the LS 1.5 under the speakers were, however, a holy shit experience for me. A week later and im still shocked and amazed with every song, at what these footers have brought to the table. The burn in process hasnt been bad for me, either. A bit of brittleness or harshness from time to time and this decreased as the hours and days have passed. The Acapella look to be me made of Panzerholtz for much of the cabinet. Perhaps that couples well with the LS. Just a thought.

What has truly floored me about the LS is the sense that they have moved the sound-stage to RIGHT there. Almost like I am sitting between the speakers and that the musician is right there in front of me. The added details are sweet, but that feels secondary to the amount of immersion that I feel with the sound-stage.

If anyone is on the fence, take the leap, I cant imagine these not bringing more than expected to the table!

Now, how about a CS2 footer sale next Christmas season?! :)

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree about the LS series. I’ve told Joe that I believe it to be the best product he has brought to market.
as for a you are there experience I’ve stated the same in my review. There are times when I feel I’m in the sound stage and part of it. I’ve also said that the LS series when taken by itself gives as much or more of a sonic improvement than the CS2 component footers which are also terrific. The LS series however is something that one has to experience in their system to understand how remarkable they are

delphi17

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2021
Hi Peter

This is an excellent question. I am saying I want to see what I can do with the LS0.8 before I answer this definitively. I don't know the answer yet, to be clearer.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Just wondering if you made any progress on this?
As I am hoping to be able to use the LS0.8 on my ATC 100 Active which is on a stand.

Thank you

David.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing