Center Stage2 "LS" Series Loudspeaker Feet

marcbrown

Apr 17, 2018
Thank you for your patience.

I read your post several times and did some research. All things considered, I think you should place the feet where you get the most coverage of their top surface. This will give you optimal performance which is most beneficial to you.

When you insert the feet under your 3s, do so with the Sophias as close as possible to their current position. If you need to change the toe or make a small move, simply grab 2 of the the LS 1.0 saucers at their rim and move them concurrently. The load of your loudspeakers will secure them to your feet for small adjustments.

One of the pairs of speakers I use to dial in the final iteration of all our products has a bottom surface that does not allow the use of adapters with the LS. I used the above method to make minor adjustments to them. No worries.
Hey Joe, i have been feeling oinky and am just now feeling good again. After reading about the Magico M6 and that they have 3 footers, I looked again under my speakers and noticed i can put 3 footers in a triangle with the footers NOT touching any holes. Would using 3 of the 1.5s not touching any holes be better than 4 of the 1.0s over some holes? OR do you think the cradle will give me other options? Thanks for your input, marc

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Hey Joe, i have been feeling oinky and am just now feeling good again. After reading about the Magico M6 and that they have 3 footers, I looked again under my speakers and noticed i can put 3 footers in a triangle with the footers NOT touching any holes. Would using 3 of the 1.5s not touching any holes be better than 4 of the 1.0s over some holes? OR do you think the cradle will give me other options? Thanks for your input, marc
Hi marcbrown

I’m glad to read that you feel better. Healthy is good these days!

You always ask important questions. I have to thank you for that because you make me think about significant use issues of which I wouldn’t otherwise be aware.

So, here’s something that hit my radar screen because of your inquiries; plugging the holes with an aluminum insert. Iif you click on the link below. You will see “plugs with hex drive”. This metal is in the wheelhouse for metals that work best with high end audio. You can spend a few bucks to buy these direct and a hex drive, then screw them into the bottom of your 3s to fill the holes as flat as possible. The hex hole won’t matter.

https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-plugs/metal-pipe-and-pipe-fittings/

Four feet match the number your Sophia 3s came with originally. I’d stick with that number and use the LS 1.0. This solution will give you the best results today. If in the future you want to try a cradle, you can use your LS 1.0s in that configuration as well.

I hope this helps.

Joe

siddh

Oct 2, 2012
Hi Joe, Thanks for responding to my question. The Avalon Times use three footers, which I believe from your earlier posts suggest I continue with three Center Stage. Please let me know what the benefits of going to the 1.5 over the 1’s may be. Also, does the offer of a purchase of 5 still include a 6th for free?
Thanks, Steve

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
So, here’s something that hit my radar screen because of your inquiries; plugging the holes with an aluminum insert. Iif you click on the link below. You will see “plugs with hex drive”. This metal is in the wheelhouse for metals that work best with high end audio. You can spend a few bucks to buy these direct and a hex drive, then screw them into the bottom of your 3s to fill the holes as flat as possible. The hex hole won’t matter.

Why not just use the adaptor and screw into the hole? More secure and can move the speaker with CS 1.0 attached.

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
Hi Joe, is it possible to use the LS feet with YG Sonja 2.2?
Due to the possibility of stacking the 2.2 on a additional bass module, there are rails at the bottom where the spikes are threaded in. These rails are only around 1,57" wide.
Even the LS 1.0 have a diameter of 2,375" therefore the feet can't be covered completely.
Could this be solved with your adapters?

Thanks, Michael

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Hi Joe, Thanks for responding to my question. The Avalon Times use three footers, which I believe from your earlier posts suggest I continue with three Center Stage. Please let me know what the benefits of going to the 1.5 over the 1’s may be. Also, does the offer of a purchase of 5 still include a 6th for free?
Thanks, Steve
Hi siddh

Yes, the offer stands, of course. I think it's a matter of the fit underneath the loudspeaker. The LS1.5 is 3" in diameter. The LS1.0 is 2.375" in diameter. You could use either.

As far as performance, if budget is not an issue and bottom space is available, I'd choose the 1.5. The 1.5 provides a rather profound personal, emotional and often riveting connection with the performers. The 1.0 is a bit less so. But, I will say this and I want to express this clearly, the level of performance is such that you wouldn't suspect the 1.5 could be better than the 1.0 unless you heard it.

Speaking strictly about human perception in very high end audio, your brain and mine are probably virtually identical. We can't imagine a perceptual improvement we have not yet experienced. We know "better" when we hear it, but we don't know what "better" is until we hear it. What I'm saying is, don't worry about your choice.

Reactions: my2sons52

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Due to the possibility of stacking the 2.2 on a additional bass module, there are rails at the bottom where the spikes are threaded in. These rails are only around 1,57" wide.
Even the LS 1.0 have a diameter of 2,375" therefore the feet can't be covered completely.

Thanks, Michael
Hi micro13

Based on your description, it sounds like it would not work.

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
Hi micro13

Based on your description, it sounds like it would not work.
That'a pity, I was really interested in the LS footers for my YG Sonjas.
Does anybody else here already tried the CS2 footers with YG Sonja maybe?

I attached a picture of the bottom of the Sonja to get an idea how it looks like.

Attachments

• YG-Sonja-bottom.JPG
    YG-Sonja-bottom.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 33

marcbrown

Apr 17, 2018
Hi marcbrown

I’m glad to read that you feel better. Healthy is good these days!

You always ask important questions. I have to thank you for that because you make me think about significant use issues of which I wouldn’t otherwise be aware.

Four feet match the number your Sophia 3s came with originally. I’d stick with that number and use the LS 1.0. This solution will give you the best results today. If in the future you want to try a cradle, you can use your LS 1.0s in that configuration as well.

I hope this helps.

Joe
Hey Joe, when i get home i will make sure and let you know if that will work without issues, but i do have a few more questions. May i ask why aluminum and not stainless steel for the suggested plugs? I know with the SP footers i am using, the stainless steel sound better than the aluminum due to the SS being faster at transferring vibrations out of speakers, in fact they stopped making AL ones due to that. Does that not factor in with your footers? Also, since my system engages me so much now that, when playing, i mostly stand and/or dance. So in the front of both my speakers my U5s sit on symposium ultra pads which improves and raises soundstage for me. Will 1.0s have any major issues if i do the same with them? Maybe it will not be needed with the 1.0s, but i want to bring that up.
Lastly for now, i am trying to visualize what you are doing with the cradle project. Does cradle go under or above footer and is it attached to speaker or either the footer? Thanks again, marc brown

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Thanks, Michael
Another thought

I agree with Joe about the LS 1.0 and LS 1.5 however on the horizon I am betting that an option for you will be the LS 0.8's but I have no idea at the moment what the dimensions will be

siddh

Oct 2, 2012
Hi Joe...again, thanks for quick response. My electronics are all tubes, so I have concerns of the break-in period. Unlikely, the system will run for more than 3-4 hours per day. Does this foreseeably extend the break-in to 30-40 days? With a diminished enjoyment...and the Covid crap, 4-6 weeks; well appears untenable.
Thanks, Steve

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Hey Joe, when i get home i will make sure and let you know if that will work without issues, but i do have a few more questions. May i ask why aluminum and not stainless steel for the suggested plugs? I know with the SP footers i am using, the stainless steel sound better than the aluminum due to the SS being faster at transferring vibrations out of speakers, in fact they stopped making AL ones due to that. Does that not factor in with your footers? Also, since my system engages me so much now that, when playing, i mostly stand and/or dance. So in the front of both my speakers my U5s sit on symposium ultra pads which improves and raises soundstage for me. Will 1.0s have any major issues if i do the same with them? Maybe it will not be needed with the 1.0s, but i want to bring that up.
Lastly for now, i am trying to visualize what you are doing with the cradle project. Does cradle go under or above footer and is it attached to speaker or either the footer? Thanks again, marc brown
I draw a hard line at commenting on or criticizing the approach or results of any of my competitors. I’m not going to comment further.

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Hi Joe...again, thanks for quick response. My electronics are all tubes, so I have concerns of the break-in period. Unlikely, the system will run for more than 3-4 hours per day. Does this foreseeably extend the break-in to 30-40 days? With a diminished enjoyment...and the Covid crap, 4-6 weeks; well appears untenable.
Thanks, Steve
Hi Steve

I don't think that would be the case. Another owner posted his findings in the thread below and he listened in short segments too.

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
Another thought

I agree with Joe about the LS 1.0 and LS 1.5 however on the horizon I am betting that an option for you will be the LS 0.8's but I have no idea at the moment what the dimensions will be
Thanks for the hint, Steve, let's see how big the 0.8's will be.

But would it make sense if I put a big enough plate (for each spike or maybe one big plate to cover the complete bottom) under the speaker bottom that covers the 1.5 LS feet completely?

marcbrown

Apr 17, 2018
I draw a hard line at commenting on or criticizing the approach or results of any of my competitors. I’m not going to comment further.
I am not sure you read my post properly Joe. I am asking if the 1.0s would suffer or not if I put something under your footers to prop my speakers up as they are now. What i am using now is the ultra pads under the U5s,that is the only reason i mentioned that. Also the remark about stainless steel vs aluminum for the plugs you recommended is because i can get both metals from the site link you sent me and in my mind that question came up, so i waited to order to see what you thought. The only reason i mentioned SPs was in reference to the metal that worked best for them.
I, unlike a few on website, love my SPs despite them muting some highs. In my case when i came into some extra $$ i bought a whole new dream stereo, with much bigger speakers and 2 JL-113 subwoofers. This is when major problems surfaced due to extremely excessive vibrations from floor boards, air ect. Everything in room and walls shook and buzzed.
I had loved my previous stereo ,which had no subs, but had just wanted more volume and bass. Well i had more bass and highs and volume but i could not connect with my music and i was sick and bummed about it. The SPs took me from sick and sad to jumping and dancing because the mids and bass were so much improved. This is the short version of my journey, as it took over a year to get a handle on what to do. If your footers had not come about i would have been very happy. Of course, now, with your footers so far i am now very ecstatic.
So if i am missing something , clue me in. marc brown

Bob Heinatz

Jun 21, 2010
I am interested in the 1.0. Will it work on a stand mounted speaker. The speaker has a granite cabinet and has stillpoints screwed into the bottom of the speaker resting on top a matching granite speaker stand. Currently I have the stand with no footers sitting on carpet. If the 1.0 LS footers would work with my stand mounted speaker would it go under the speaker or stand?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am interested in the 1.0. Will it work on a stand mounted speaker. The speaker has a granite cabinet and has stillpoints screwed into the bottom of the speaker resting on top a matching granite speaker stand. Currently I have the stand with no footers sitting on carpet. If the 1.0 LS footers would work with my stand mounted speaker would it go under the speaker or stand?

Excellent question, Bob. I once tried Stillpoints with my Magico Mini II speaker. I tried them under the stand and did not like the result. I was criticized for not inserting them between the speaker and the stand. I preferred to use the speaker/stand coupling as designed by Magico with the three ball bearings in cups and the top of the stand was tilted back as I recall. I'll be interested in the answer to this question with the LS footers.

Steve Williams

Thanks, Steve
Siddh

I have found after 4 years of using this product that it is very system dependent. Like you I am 100% tubes so that has always been a concern for settle in and tube life

My routine is to ruin music 8 hours every day and IO listen for the first half hour and last half hour every day.

Settle in for me with the LS 1.5's was 7-8 days

Steve Williams

My first reply would be no as well...it wouldn't be something I would recommend

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing