CD Transport vs Music Server

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Excellent streaming is available, but in my experience only from expensive ready-made solutions, as is your Taiko Extreme, or from very tinker-intensive DIY or semi DIY solutions that are very susceptible to substantial drop in sound quality with just minor things being off.

Before owning the Extreme I relied on DIY assembled PC system with several tweaks, with using Jcat cards, connected to the dCS upsampler RJ45 input using a separate Jcat network card. Although the Extreme sounds better IMHO, it also sounded very good and I could happily live for a few years with it.

We should remember that this is an hobby where people vary the height of the tonearm by 1 mm and go from hell to heaven! :)

Asbas

Mar 14, 2021
Denmark
I promised to return with my opinion when the TASCAM CD-9010 came in My system as a cd transport. I have had the 9010 in My system for 1 hour now and It is just plain and simple better in every aspect compared to Jays audio and Denafrips.
It just sound right is the best way to describe it, the timing is exeptional and my Quad ESL-2812 speakers and I love it. It is like a New cd collect ion.
The Music is engageing and alive in my room and I feel like dancing

taww

Jun 12, 2020
New Jersey
taww.co
I promised to return with my opinion when the TASCAM CD-9010 came in My system as a cd transport. I have had the 9010 in My system for 1 hour now and It is just plain and simple better in every aspect compared to Jays audio and Denafrips.
It just sound right is the best way to describe it, the timing is exeptional and my Quad ESL-2812 speakers and I love it. It is like a New cd collect ion.
The Music is engageing and alive in my room and I feel like dancing
Wish I knew where to find one!

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@aww
I don't know if you still have interest in the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 transport or not. I just wanted to pass along that as good as it is with the supplied SMPS wall wart (Very good!) it does take a definite step upward when used with a good quality) LPS. I'm using a Fidelizer Nikola 2 that's fully burned-in (200 hours per manufacturer).

I can honestly say that this is a stunningly good CD transport and extracts the best of Redbook CD playback. As much as I enjoyed my prior earlier generation P.S.Audio PWT (Which is a terrific CD transport) the RS2 is better across the sonic performance spectrum. More 3 dimensional soundstage presentation, more flesh and blood tactile presence, excellent tonality and timbre. There's a wonderful organic character with excellent musical flow and pace. A very upper tier CD transport at what I believe is a very reasonable cost. I find it difficult to bring listening sessions to a close.
Charles

taww

Jun 12, 2020
New Jersey
taww.co
@charles1dad I was about to order a Pro-Ject RS2 back in December but the stock situation seemed tenuous, and I since received the latest PS Audio transport, so I held off. I do have a LPS I can use with the RS2 (HDPlex 300W) and I'm not so sure about the PS Audio, so maybe I should give the Pro-Ject a go...

taww

Jun 12, 2020
New Jersey
taww.co
I saw that as well. Seems... sketchy. :)

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi asbas

If I may ask, which Jay’s Audio cd transport did you compare with the Tascam cd9010? Is the cd 9010 still a current product and if so, what does it sell for? Also, which dac are you using it with? Thank you.

Best regards
Scot

Asbas

Mar 14, 2021
Denmark
Hi scott
It was a mk2 version with better power suply and dampening control for resonanses. The Avatar was better and the TASCAM is at least one level above Theese 2.
I Know someone in the pro industri and he have been listening to Pro-Ject rs2 t and TASCAM and he recomended the TASCAM CD-9010 to me as a pure transport. I trust him and I am not disapointed.
I do not think they produce the TASCAM CD-9010 anymore becaurse the chip inside is more expensive to make now. But it should not be a problem if a repair is needed the next manny years. I have Heard it with Denafrips own DAC's and some high end DAC'S but not in My system. A DAC that is value for money is in My opinion the Pontus 2 from Denafrips.

Reactions: longinc and CKKeung

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I enjoy both a Transport and Streaming. Of course, depending upon what the Transport or streamer brand is you will get different levels of playback. I’d desire to maximize one or the other for a better experience.

If you already have a CD collection then you could purchase an Aurender ASC10. It is a streamer, server and ripper. I rip all my CDs to it. I also subscribe to Qobuz. The ACS10 also gives you an option at a later date to upgrade your streamer. I have my ACS10 connected to an Aurender N30SA. Before I purchased the N30 I used the ACS as my streamer. It does an excellent job.

Link ACS10

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Dasmania

Feb 14, 2021
I concur that CD playback on the Jays mk3 upsampled sounded better than the same material streamed both through a MSB Reference DAC. Caveat, I’m using a 5k stealth digital AES/EBU CABLE …LOL

onsionsi

Nov 27, 2019
I concur that CD playback on the Jays mk3 upsampled sounded better than the same material streamed both through a MSB Reference DAC. Caveat, I’m using a 5k stealth digital AES/EBU CABLE …LOL
What is your streamer?

Dasmania

Feb 14, 2021
I am using a Roon nucleus and the MSB pro isl usb optical cable to my MSB reference DAC

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
My favourite combo for streaming is to have a PC with Roon (or Roon and HQ player) somewhere outside the audio setup and a dedicated network bridge to connect with a DAC. You can also use Ethernet isolators to further separate audio from every noise source outside of it.

Does anybody else go this way?

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
I received my Project RST-2 yesterday after about a 10 month wait. I had spent about an hour trying to get a variety of HDMI cables to work from the i2S output of the RST to my Holo May KTE DAC by changing various settings in the May. Finally I reviewed the manual and discovered that i2s on the RS2 is spec'd only for its companion preamp. This makes no sense to me. I can't for the life of me see why Pro-ject would limit the use of their i2s output to those of us with great DACs and way better preamps. And why call it i2s if it only works with their own product? And shame on me for not discovering this after a 10 month wait.

So I dug up an optical cable and a balanced cable. The balanced cable is 110 Ohm, not the AES 75Ohm needed. I might have a coax buried somewhere in my stash.

Listening to some music last night I immediately noted that there was very little bass output. That was probably due to the AES mode chosen on the May. I did use an optical cable as well but was spinning Tom Petty at the time which perhaps didn't produce much bass output anyway.

I'm coming from a server motherboard USB output using Network Acoustics Muon USB cable which changed the game in my system. I've been using the May's NOS mode which formerly was tough to listen to long term. My default (before Muon) was streaming Etherregen/Ultrarendu/HQPlayer DSD256/Roon. It's a more polite listen, amazing really but there maybe something to be said about less components is more.

I want to give the RS2 its best opportunity to play up to the level of my streamer system. I guess that starts with a cable. I'm informed that a good AES cable works very well on the May DAC. Any suggestions here on a good AES cable? I guess that I need a good LPS as well.

Or, I could return the RS2 and try the Jay's Audio Transport. But the trusted folks here seem to concur that the RST-2 plays very well. Is there any break-in time associated with this transport?

Tasmania - a $5K AES cable! I thought my $1.5 USB cable was over the top ;)

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
I revisted the RS2 this morning. Using optical, much of my missing bass was returned. It sounds very open from the brief listening I've done. It will clearly benefit from an LPS, a cable (perhaps the Network Acoustics AES) and for me to play with placement under this transport. I'll start with 3" maple.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
My favourite combo for streaming is to have a PC with Roon (or Roon and HQ player) somewhere outside the audio setup and a dedicated network bridge to connect with a DAC. You can also use Ethernet isolators to further separate audio from every noise source outside of it.

Does anybody else go this way?
I use an EtherRegen between storage/streaming and server, and connect the server to DAC with a 40 foot optical cable.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Not familiar with the Project but it appears meant to be used with the Pre-amp as it has a better clock.
The Jays has an OXCO clock and clock in and out, plus I2S out. Seems like a no brainier, send it back.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing