Cantate Domino reel to reel tape

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I just received the Cantate Domino tapes today. I listened to them right away after work tonight. The packaging is the best I have seen. There is the full 2500 feet of tape in each reel, which is good and bad. This makes it easier to secure the tail of the tape, but it means more winding and rewinding. There is leader tape on both the tail and the head of the tape, which is good. There is also a certificate of authenticity, and another piece of card detailing the technical information. My copy is no. 006.
I played the tape on my Nagra T Audio, with the playback head wired directly to my tube tape head preamp. I built this as a phono preamp 20 years ago, and later modified it for tape head duty. It is a fully balanced differential design, with a FET/Tube cascode phono section with passive EQ, and a two stage line section. It has a shunt regulator for the B+, and there is no feedback. This preamp is built with point to point wiring, whereas I have the identical design built on PCBs serving as my phono preamp. This makes direct comparison with the LP easier.
This tape has the best sound I can remember ever hearing from this recording. The whole performance is distortion-free, with excellent ambiance. One can hear the natural decay of the sound all the way down to the very low noise floor. The recording venue has a very long reverberation time, but not so long that the sound loses clarity. The image is rock solid, with a very natural presentation of the choir and the soloists. The only word that I can use to describe the whole experience is realistic. I find that good recordings on analog master tapes sound closest to the live experience, since it has the scale and the dynamics of live music, but without the artifacts that one often finds in digital recordings. It is the continuity, the weight and the density of the sound that make tape recordings so special. This tape has all these qualities.
I tried to find my original copy of the LP that I bought as a student almost 40 years ago, but no luck. I remember the record being pretty noisy, since I did not have very good equipment in those days. I do have the later ATR mastercut LP. Even though I have not played this LP much (since I had already been overdosed when this was THE demo recording during much of the 1980s), the surface noise is a bit annoying even after cleaning with the Degritter machine. Worse, I noticed the sibilance of the soloists right away. There is also audible distortion during the louder high notes. Even though my record player is not exactly high end (Classic Turntable Company Garrard 301, SME 3012 S2 with metal knife bearing, Ikeda headshell and 9TT cartridge), I have not heard distortion to this degree on even more demanding recordings. This makes the voices sound less natural, and the choir sounds less well balanced. As I do not have another copy of the LP, I can't say whether this is due to the mastering or the pressing. When one buys an LP, one never knows whether it came fresh from an early stamper that came from an early mother, or from a worn late stamper from a late mother. It is really a crap shoot. I have almost 300 titles on tape, almost all copied from production or safety masters, or from commercial sources such as this tape. I must say that I have yet to hear an LP, reissued or original pressing, that is better than the tape. Of all the expensive upgrades one can make nowadays to one's system, few can be as cost effective as investing in tapes of your favorite recordings. I have not invested much into digital playback, and I really only use it to explore music I am not familiar with. The money I have saved (at least in my mind) justified my investment in tapes. I find the experience of listening to tapes unique and not replicable with other sources. This alone makes the investment in time, effort and money worthwhile.

IMG_3666.jpg IMG_3667.jpg IMG_3668.jpg

Reactions: jadis

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
I am anxiously awaiting my tape copy from Italy. I've not worked with TNT (now part of FedEx) before, but somehow they screwed up the delivery. It got to the US, was hung up in customs, and then was returned to AudioNautes. TNT claimed they attempted to contact me, but I never heard from them and there was no voicemail. Hopefully, Fabio can recover the tape and get it shipped back to me with DHL or UPS instead of working with TNT again. I don't have any LPs to compare against, but I do have the AudioNautes HQCD.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As I have listened to impressive and "realistic" sound from Cantate Domino from both LP and digital versions in a few systems (mine, friend systems and demos) I found your comments very interesting. My old LP is not noisy at all and my digital version is the FIM Winston Ma remastering. In a properly set up system with either the LP or the CD there is no noticeable distortion and there is the proper amount of sibilance characteristic of an human voice chorus. Proper digital manages to reproduce it with ease in a realistic way - we can see it for example in the excellent recordings of coral music carried by Tony Faulkner for the Hyperion label.

Sometimes we notice that the tape is being pushed hard in the Cantate Domino recording, but to acceptable values.

Cantate Donmino is an old glorious audiophile recording, very enjoyable, but IMHO it is not perfection or a reference in sound recording. In my opinion we should avoid using it as ammunition for analog versus digital debates. But I am somewhat envious from you - I would love to have a HiRez version of the master tape that was used for producing your tape, carried with the same care that was used in the analog duplication. Do you have details on how the duplication was done?

BTW, can I ask what tube you use in input of your tape preamplifier?

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
Do you have details on how the duplication was done?
I do not have reproduction details, but I believe @MylesBAstor has received a copy (somehow TNT worked for him), so maybe he has more detail he can share.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
As I have listened to impressive and "realistic" sound from Cantate Domino from both LP and digital versions in a few systems (mine, friend systems and demos) I found your comments very interesting. My old LP is not noisy at all and my digital version is the FIM Winston Ma remastering. In a properly set up system with either the LP or the CD there is no noticeable distortion and there is the proper amount of sibilance characteristic of an human voice chorus. Proper digital manages to reproduce it with ease in a realistic way - we can see it for example in the excellent recordings of coral music carried by Tony Faulkner for the Hyperion label.

Sometimes we notice that the tape is being pushed hard in the Cantate Domino recording, but to acceptable values.

Cantate Donmino is an old glorious audiophile recording, very enjoyable, but IMHO it is not perfection or a reference in sound recording. In my opinion we should avoid using it as ammunition for analog versus digital debates. But I am somewhat envious from you - I would love to have a HiRez version of the master tape that was used for producing your tape, carried with the same care that was used in the analog duplication. Do you have details on how the duplication was done?

BTW, can I ask what tube you use in input of your tape preamplifier?
I think my copy of the ATR mastercut is faulty. I remember buying it many years ago and did not like it. Therefore, I have not played it much. It might have been produced with worn stampers, or the mastering was not done properly. The original pressing I bought as a student was second-hand, and I cannot find it anymore. I have moved several times since then to three different continents, and it probably got lost somewhere. In terms of sound recording, I believe Cantate Domino was recorded with just a stereo pair of microphones. However, it captured the ambiance well, and sounds very natural on my system. Interestingly, I have been comparing old HMV/Columbia, Decca, RCA and Mercury recordings on master tapes with some of the LPs I have. I used to think that the older EMI labels from the 1950s to early 1970s were inferior to Decca in general. I now realise that the problem was with the mastering, not so much with the recording. The old Decca recordings still have more clarity, and the imaging is more precise. The EMIs though sound very much like concert performances, with a more natural balance. In a concert hall, one does not hear the spotlit brass and percussion sections one finds more typically in Decca recordings. However, in a Hi Fi sense, the Deccas can sound very exciting indeed. I have a tape of the Stokowski Tchaikovsky Symphony no. 5 Phase 4 Decca recording. While it sounds nothing like it would in a concert hall, it is extremely exciting and very moving, and suits the music well. In this respect, the early RCA stereo recordings are more like the EMIs (except those recorded by Decca). The pre-stereo LP era recordings such as the Munch Symphonie Fantastique of 1955, and the Monteux Tchaikovsky Symphony no. 6 of 1956 are great recordings. They have beautiful string tone. It is difficult to say what is a reference symphonic recording. Does one want to preserve the balance like it is in a concert hall, or make the recording sound more exciting in an audiophile sense ?
For your second question, Fabio at Audionautes obtained the edited work parts of the Cantate Domino from Naxos (which now owns the Propius catalogue). He made a 1/2" production master from these, and then copied each tape 1:1 individually using two Otari MTR-15 tape machines. He has also produced LPs and UHQCD from the master. You can order these from his website. http://www.audionautesrecordings.com/index.html
For my preamp, I am using Mullard (Amperex) E188CC/7308 for the phono section, and Valvo PCC88/7DJ8 for the line section.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Winston Ma also released an LP reissue of Cantate Domino which I have in addition to the FIM CD. I will probably buy a copy of the tape from Fabio, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Larry

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I just received the Cantate Domino tapes today. I listened to them right away after work tonight. The packaging is the best I have seen. There is the full 2500 feet of tape in each reel, which is good and bad. This makes it easier to secure the tail of the tape, but it means more winding and rewinding. There is leader tape on both the tail and the head of the tape, which is good. There is also a certificate of authenticity, and another piece of card detailing the technical information. My copy is no. 006.
I played the tape on my Nagra T Audio, with the playback head wired directly to my tube tape head preamp. I built this as a phono preamp 20 years ago, and later modified it for tape head duty. It is a fully balanced differential design, with a FET/Tube cascode phono section with passive EQ, and a two stage line section. It has a shunt regulator for the B+, and there is no feedback. This preamp is built with point to point wiring, whereas I have the identical design built on PCBs serving as my phono preamp. This makes direct comparison with the LP easier.
This tape has the best sound I can remember ever hearing from this recording. The whole performance is distortion-free, with excellent ambiance. One can hear the natural decay of the sound all the way down to the very low noise floor. The recording venue has a very long reverberation time, but not so long that the sound loses clarity. The image is rock solid, with a very natural presentation of the choir and the soloists. The only word that I can use to describe the whole experience is realistic. I find that good recordings on analog master tapes sound closest to the live experience, since it has the scale and the dynamics of live music, but without the artifacts that one often finds in digital recordings. It is the continuity, the weight and the density of the sound that make tape recordings so special. This tape has all these qualities.
I tried to find my original copy of the LP that I bought as a student almost 40 years ago, but no luck. I remember the record being pretty noisy, since I did not have very good equipment in those days. I do have the later ATR mastercut LP. Even though I have not played this LP much (since I had already been overdosed when this was THE demo recording during much of the 1980s), the surface noise is a bit annoying even after cleaning with the Degritter machine. Worse, I noticed the sibilance of the soloists right away. There is also audible distortion during the louder high notes. Even though my record player is not exactly high end (Classic Turntable Company Garrard 301, SME 3012 S2 with metal knife bearing, Ikeda headshell and 9TT cartridge), I have not heard distortion to this degree on even more demanding recordings. This makes the voices sound less natural, and the choir sounds less well balanced. As I do not have another copy of the LP, I can't say whether this is due to the mastering or the pressing. When one buys an LP, one never knows whether it came fresh from an early stamper that came from an early mother, or from a worn late stamper from a late mother. It is really a crap shoot. I have almost 300 titles on tape, almost all copied from production or safety masters, or from commercial sources such as this tape. I must say that I have yet to hear an LP, reissued or original pressing, that is better than the tape. Of all the expensive upgrades one can make nowadays to one's system, few can be as cost effective as investing in tapes of your favorite recordings. I have not invested much into digital playback, and I really only use it to explore music I am not familiar with. The money I have saved (at least in my mind) justified my investment in tapes. I find the experience of listening to tapes unique and not replicable with other sources. This alone makes the investment in time, effort and money worthwhile.

View attachment 90541 View attachment 90542 View attachment 90543
Do you have the link where I can buy this?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing