Can a room design support both stat and omni speakers?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am a big fan of different speakers for different experiences and music types, so I am wondering if the same room can support both stat and omni directional speakers without too much finagling and moving treatments around.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Shooting from the hip, I'd say yes. Makers of Omni's like Duevel (I have two pairs of Planets in my mostly glass living room and dining room) and MBL typically have FR that slopes downwards from bass to treble in anticipation of regular domestic environments. If the room was too dead to begin with, everything with the exceptions of horns would, I imagine, sound bloated.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
From my limited experience in room treatments, no. Each type of of speaker needs an appropriate environment to sound at its best. Some examples MBL's need a lot of diffusion to sound good, Soundlab's need some absorption on the back and Wilson's need reflection in the lateral areas. Perhaps an expert can design a room that sounds good for all of them, but every time I change my speakers I need some reallocating of sound treatments.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
But in this case, the wavefront from a 'stat is essentially a line source over most of the range, with pronounced radiation from the back and front and little from the sides or top (or bottom). An omni would require much more treatment, and my guess is that treatment for the omni's would not really impact the sound of the 'stat. Most any room (and speaker) could use some help in the bass region...

Over-absorbing is a problem for any room treatment, since absorption panels are cheap and easily found compared to diffusors. From that perspective, a room treated for omni's is likely too dead for stats, but worse for conventional speakers. OTOH, if more diffusors are used, then both (all) would probably sound OK.

All IMO, and I am not really hard over on any of this. - Don

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
A few years ago I tried that with little success. Could only get one or the other somewhat right, too much compromise to my ears. Each pair alone was the only way I could live with them. It was like some DBT's, small doses seemed ok, extended listening, forget it.

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I would rephrase that: a system design could support both stat and omni speakers, and obviously, from me, that is a low audible distortion design. If distortion is audible, different styles of speakers will emphasise different aspects of that distortion, and hence will need different room treatments which attempt to quell those relatively obvious elements.

Frank

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Short answer: No, I do not believe one setup would do both types justice.

One has to start from the premise of what is a given speaker design is assuming the listener wants. An omni delivers the enveloping sound from all the room reflections it energizes, and in the right room MBLs can be spectacular, especially when reproducing instruments that naturally light up a room acoustically, such as a grand piano. But the room is always 'coloring' the sound to a significant degree. Treatments to tune or focus the delivered sound-stage involve diffusion and selective absorption along front and side walls.

A stat (or any line source dipole) is about delivering the benefits of low-distortion line-source focused energy. The penalty is it's dipole, radiating equal amounts to the rear, managing the rear wave is critical to getting the best out of a Stat. So room treatments of the walls behind the speakers are critical in my experience.

I've spent more than a decade tuning my room (using measurements) and arrived at a satisfying result, but it took tremendous effort and tons of treatments and gear to achieve it. It's now perfect for large stats, but I would not imagine an MBL 101 sounding its best in my room.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Short answer: No, I do not believe one setup would do both types justice.

One has to start from the premise of what is a given speaker design is assuming the listener wants. An omni delivers the enveloping sound from all the room reflections it energizes, and in the right room MBLs can be spectacular, especially when reproducing instruments that naturally light up a room acoustically, such as a grand piano. But the room is always 'coloring' the sound to a significant degree. Treatments to tune or focus the delivered sound-stage involve diffusion and selective absorption along front and side walls.

A stat (or any line source dipole) is about delivering the benefits of low-distortion line-source focused energy. The penalty is it's dipole, radiating equal amounts to the rear, managing the rear wave is critical to getting the best out of a Stat. So room treatments of the walls behind the speakers are critical in my experience.

I've spent more than a decade tuning my room (using measurements) and arrived at a satisfying result, but it took tremendous effort and tons of treatments and gear to achieve it. It's now perfect for large stats, but I would not imagine an MBL 101 sounding its best in my room.

Agreeing 100%

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing