Brand-New 550 AXii in the house and my first Luxman component. :)

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
After decades of dealing with, and mostly enjoying tube separates, despite costly maintenance and upgrades, and later tube integrateds, I decided to try getting off the tube roller coaster. Based on a review by, and an email exchange with, the estimable Jeff Dorgay of Tone, I decided to purchase a Luxman 550 AXii early this year. The wait was long but the amp finally arrived a couple of weeks ago, and after about 200 hours run-in time, I'm happy to say, that Jeff's review and wise counsel proved to be spot on. The Lux is a perfect choice for me at this point in my life. I suppose that if the 590 AXii had still been in production, I likely would have gone that route, but I'm completely happy with the 550.

Oh, speakers are Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage.

Happy listening to all.

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
Used to own one (MKI model). Lovely amp and usually the consensus is a jump up to the 590 happens afterwards, but in this instance, no longer a possibility (if buying new)

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
I wanted to buy new, hence the 550, but I have no idea about how the 590 would sound in my system compared to the 550. And for more $. Might it be greater dynamics at high listening levels? I rarely, if ever listen to above 75 db and mostly to jazz, small scale or solo classical. My room is small. As I said, I am happy. The 550 AXii has exceeded my high expectations.

Reactions: Tlay

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
One of the most pleasurable characteristics/qualities of the 550AXii is how this component matches so well with my Guarneri Homage speakers and how the music I'm hearing makes me forget about "gear" and "hi-fi" and enables me to simply listen. The SQ is now much higher, but I'm reminded of "the old days" when I would just play a record and enjoy the music, with some rudimentary gear: A Dynakit SC35, a Dual TT, and a pair of somewhat bastardized Bozaks. No fuss, no muss, no stress. Just music. :)

Ahhhhhh.....

Drulz75

Oct 13, 2022
I had the opportunity to test both the 550axii and 590axii in my setup. I returned the 590axii. I was genuinely surprised as I was so sure 590axii would win, based on reviews and experience of so many on several forums.

The issue I had with the 590axii, was the soundstage. It had more expanse, power and scale. However, it was not coherent. 550axii gave me a more relaxed, settled soundstage. I could never figure out why. I quite simply love the 550axii now.

I learnt the lesson of always testing kit in your room and setup.

Reactions: paolo

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
@Drulz75
"interesting" is one of those "buzz words" but nevertheless, I'm going to use it in response to your experience testing both Luxman amps in your setup. While I'd love to be able to do the same, that is not going to happen. I do remain curious though....
One dramatic addition to my system is a pair of upgraded/modified Magnepan MMG's which I recently found in the used department of a terrific local mom and pop stereo store. The speakers came mounted in Mye stands and whoever did the upgrade to the crossover certainly was skilled.
My 550AXII pairs beautifully with these new-to-me speakers. Synergy? Oh Yeah!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing