Blue Note 80th Anniversary.

Vicov

Apr 25, 2019
I couldn’t let this milestone (excuse the pun) year pass without a mention. Indeed, I spent the last wet weekend foraging the depths of Qobuz exploring the Blue Note catalogue and there is a real treasure trove of music there. A perfect source to fill the gaps in your collection.
As my guide & inspiration, I used the “Cover Art of Blue Note Records” book which is bursting with album artwork. Every Jazz lover should own a copy. 0403391B-B9F7-4294-A0C8-B55625C1F148.jpeg EBE505C2-A022-419E-B53A-D1535308DBC1.jpeg

Reactions: Bodhi

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I just spent the weekend spinning tapes at the California Audio Show. Among the tapes we played for the attendees were mix tapes from the Tape Project catalogue, put together by Paul Stubblebine of the Tape Project. We heard excerpts from several great jazz albums including three from the Blue Note catalogue: Jimmy Smith - The Sermon, Lee Morgan The Sidewinder, and Kurt Elling - Flirting with Twilight. The excerpts were dubbed from the original master tapes! to one-inch running masters and then to the 1/2" mix tape (all at 15ips 2track). We also heard excerpts from Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Collossus, Nat King Cole and George Shearing, Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane, and Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby on other labels, also from the original master tapes to one-inch to 1/2 inch. We used an Ampex ATR-102 playing through the Doshi 3.0 preamp. You can see the setup on another thread one called "Tape Spinning at the California Audio Show..." Blue Note sure had the artists and the engineers.

Larry

Reactions: Vicov

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing