Best tables from 1991 as per Voyd

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah, how I remember the Xerxes. My first high end tt in 1997. Life was so much simpler pre-Covid...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Mandatory self isolation reading

Audiophile's Feb '91 issue - included is a review of the Voyd turntable, plus a feature 'The World's Best Turntables' which includes 4 models - the LP12, Roksan Xerxes, Townshend Rock Reference and VPI TNT.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb353/voyduser/img116.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb353/voyduser/img117.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb353/voyduser/img118.jpg

To be honest Ked I owned all these tts and the best one was the LP12 which I would rate as acceptable the rest weren't anything to get excited about.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To be honest Ked I owned all these tts and the best one was the LP12 which I would rate as acceptable the rest weren't anything to get excited about.

david

I am aware of that, that's why I said mandatory reading in isolation as you have nothing else to do

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
What I would like to see is best of 1981 versus best of 1991. I know where my money would be ;)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I liked the Xerxes. But only heard the one that had been updated many times over by Roksan since '91 LoL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bazelio, I lived with an all-Roksan analog front end: Xerxes X/Artemiz/Shiraz/ArtaXerxes, btwn 1997 and 2000. My abiding memory was of a more neutral sound than the euphonically coloured Linn LP12 I could have bought at the time. But also a pervading greyness to the sound, almost the kind of gritty, glarey sound I've heard from some cheaper DDs and 80s digital.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What I would like to see is best of 1981 versus best of 1991. I know where my money would be ;)

Yes it will be very interesting to read such articles through the decades to see how opinions changed

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yes it will be very interesting to read such articles through the decades to see how opinions changed

It might be interesting to learn what restoration efforts are (were) active for which tables. It would seem tables worth restoring and maintaing are ones worth having.

I'm more interested in improvements. What are the most significant improvements in the past 3-4 decades? Or from a different angle, what were the trends?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Bazelio, I lived with an all-Roksan analog front end: Xerxes X/Artemiz/Shiraz/ArtaXerxes, btwn 1997 and 2000. My abiding memory was of a more neutral sound than the euphonically coloured Linn LP12 I could have bought at the time. But also a pervading greyness to the sound, almost the kind of gritty, glarey sound I've heard from some cheaper DDs and 80s digital.
All Roksan - I can't comment. The Roksan Xerxes 20 Plus table is what I've heard. With a good cart and in a good system, I think it's a great lower cost table. I'd not hesitate to recommend it over other options such as VPI, for example.

Last edited:

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
I owned a Roksan TMS2, which I really enjoyed. When Roksan ceased production of the TMS line, dealers were blowing out the TMS3 at ridiculously low prices. Wish I bought one.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It might be interesting to learn what restoration efforts are (were) active for which tables. It would seem tables worth restoring and maintaing are ones worth having.

I'm more interested in improvements. What are the most significant improvements in the past 3-4 decades? Or from a different angle, what were the trends?

I would be interested in learning this too. Some would argue that there are no tables better than those considered "Beyond" from the 70s-80s. I suspect the ideas are not new, but perhaps there is room for improvements in implementation. Don't really know.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would be interested in learning this too. Some would argue that there are no tables better than those considered "Beyond" from the 70s-80s. I suspect the ideas are not new, but perhaps there is room for improvements in implementation. Don't really know.

Sonically, all you need to do is listen to the old ones, and the new ones. If you want to talk about design differences and technical stuff, ddk, G, Mik (when he feels better), Schroeder if you meet him at Munich, and a few others can walk you through it.

I am interested in articles like these because it is amusing to see how perceptions and attitudes changed. Sometimes while doing a search I come across older comments from people who have since gone on to much bigger budget systems, and those are interesting as well, since you know them now, but it is just interesting how they thought earlier. If you go to audiogon, you will see Marc with many posts years ago on Mike's and Albert Porter's thread talking about his TT and LT. So ok, some things don't change, but some do.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my first turntable when i got back into high end audio in 1994 was a used VPI TNT Mk2. i owned it for 2 years. had a Graham 1.5tc arm and Blue Point special cartridge.

it was ok.

but what did i know?

moved on to a Basis 2500 with the Graham arm and a Koetsu RSP cartridge, which was much better.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
my first turntable when i got back into high end audio in 1994 was a used VPI TNT Mk2. i owned it for 2 years. had a Graham 1.5tc arm and Blue Point special cartridge.

it was ok.

but what did i know?

moved on to a Basis 2500 with the Graham arm and a Koetsu RSP cartridge, which was much better.

One thing for sure, Mike, even when I come across old posts of yours on the Gon, there is the same zeal in sharing, discussing, and pushing yourself that you have today. Budgets and components might have changed, but you have been as engaging and relentless and focused

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Guy Adams the Voyd man used to work at the same company as me. I went round to his place to hear the Voyd.

Was a Cyalene, IO and Audio Innovations Second Audio Monos on Snell Type J. Interesting system set up in a cellar.

I kept my Gyrodec, which I still own.

This must have been around 1988 -1989.

Lotta people in the UK still like Voyds to this day.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guy sergeant was a member of the two man design team when he was in college. He is on this forum as guyser but rarely posts

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing