Best Playback Software: Roon, Euphony, Audionirvana, HQPlayer...??

abdodson

Feb 18, 2019
This is a common journey in our particular endeavor and not unvisited topic. But given the rapid pace of change in this domain I thought it would be useful to see what others are discovering. A little background:

I started using Roon a couple of years ago. Have used it in a single server setup, dual servers and a few tweaks in between. Love the Roon interface.

Tried Euphony Stylus about a year ago on a dedicated server. Sound quality is better than Roon on my system (even with HQPlayer as output, strangely). It just is. But the interface can't compete with Roon.

Gave Audionirvana another try this week. It sounds better than Roon as well. But it has its own interface problems, specifically around remotely controlling the software from a laptop.

I know that a lot of Taiko Extreme users are happy with a Roon implementation using HQPlayer. But there seems to be a custom use of the application that Taiko has engineered for their device.

What are others experiencing? Are there other options out there? What is the current frontier of PC based audio playback?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
In a dCS setup, I've found their playback app sounds best, dCS Mosaic. However, I do like the Roon interface and continue to use both.

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
For me, Roon works very well with the HQPlayer. I think the hardware is even more important. I think that's why Taiko Extreme is so successful despite the high price.

I achieved an increase in SQ with the separation of the server and audio endpoint. The music files are stored on the NAS and the Roon server is working on NAS. This way, the audio PC can fully concentrate on rendering with upsampling and convolution. The picture below is intended to illustrate this.

Taiko Audio even achieves this separation in one chassis because two CPUs are installed.

Reactions: Thuan

abdodson

Feb 18, 2019
This is a configuration I have not tried, with the more powerful machine as the endpoint and the server as Roon Core. Some time ago I had a configuration with a Sonore Mircrorendu as endpoint, which was dead sounding compared to direct from a single, more powerful, tweaked server. I am going to implement your suggested setup and where it goes.

Reactions: pjwd

abdodson

Feb 18, 2019
In a dCS setup, I've found their playback app sounds best, dCS Mosaic. However, I do like the Roon interface and continue to use both.
I have heard that about dCS Mosiac more than once. Unfortunately it seems it is exclusive to their product line. I just bought a Lampizator Atlantic TRP which I am very fond of so will need to fine another route.

Reactions: christoph

FredM

Dec 28, 2019
What is the current frontier of PC based audio playback?
As always each will have there own personal preferences and context (imho ‘the best’ is an illusion, I would prefer ‘best in my situation’ or ‘my favorite’ ). That said, Roon is absolutely my favorite player: besides the very intuitive interface, powerful search without indexing hassle, great multi device/multi room playback, easy (and save) volume control, and so on..

Most importantly I prefer Roon to discover new music: the browse functions (gerne, influenced by, etc), the suggestions bar while listening and Roon Radio are just awesome imho. I really enjoy finding new gems, like having a Jedi level staff member from the record store sitting next to you while listening.

edit: Perhaps good to add: I don’t need HQ player software, in my case the up- and downsampling is done by hardware (FPGA board)

Last edited:
Reactions: Daverich4

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
In a one player version j river to me is best. And I have the two high power versions
Roon and hq player. I will say Roon masters the interface
Also there tidal and end points works very well

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I have used Twonky, Roon, and Minimserver. I decided on the latter using the Lumin app as a control point.

abdodson

Feb 18, 2019
I have used Twonky, Roon, and Minimserver. I decided on the latter using the Lumin app as a control point.
Minimserver is new to me. Looking into this. Can you use the Lumin app as control point without use of a Lumin device?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Yes, as Minimserver is a UPnP server software, any app that complies with this protocol can be used: Lumin, Bubble UPnP, Kazoo, Melco Music HD, mConnect... etc.

abdodson

Feb 18, 2019
Just wanted to add a quick update. I have spent far too much time this weekend digging further into this topic. In preparation for possibly building a second server to act as Roon Core I purchase Audiophile Optimizer and ran it on the my current dedicated music server on a Windows 10 partition. The Audiophile Optimizer tweaked Windows 10 running Roon into HQPlayer now surpasses Euphony Stylus to my ears. It is admittedly hard to A/B the results, given comparison between the operating systems requires a full reboot. However, at this point I am excited by the results.

Edit: I was wrong; $400 later and Euphony is still better.

Last edited:

Thuan

Apr 20, 2020
My two cent input:

I've been happily using JPLAY as Asio driver on dualPC (AudioPC + controlPC) with a number of players: Foorbar2000, Bug Head, MinimServer, and JPLAY Femto currently. The more recent player, the better sounding IMHO. An Android tablet as control poin completes the headless setup.

Audiophile Optimizer v3 (AO3), Fidelizer, and MinorityClean team up very well with Jplay Femto to render a very satisfying SQ, on local files or hi-res streaming.

Reactions: Marcin_gps

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
In a one player version j river to me is best. And I have the two high power versions
Also there tidal and end points works very well

I use Jriver software and find it to have the best SQ and configurable interface , although not the friendliest UI. I also stream Amazon music HD using my MBP as well, which has a lousy interface when It comes to giving control directly to the DAC.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Same here. Roon looks good and the metadata, where it exists, is great.
I use Jriver software and find it to have the best SQ and configurable interface , although not the friendliest UI.
I am happy with the UI because it is configurable. And, despite what others may say, I find searching in Jriver is more efficient than in Roon.

Reactions: prerich and Mikem53

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I am happy with Qobuz via Wi-Fi to Audirvana 3.5 with MacBook Pro (streaming only, no local files).
After tracks-preloading into RAM I turn Wi-Fi Off for serious listening.

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Thuan

belancer

Sep 16, 2020
Euphony stylus on my fanless NUC sounds much better than Bartok playing its owned Mosaic.
Stylus gives a bigger and holographic soundstage, natural flow, and more inner details.

Reactions: abdodson

abdodson

Feb 18, 2019
Euphony stylus on my fanless NUC sounds much better than Bartok playing its owned Mosaic.
Stylus gives a bigger and holographic soundstage, natural flow, and more inner details.
Yes, I have spent many hundreds of dollars on software in attempts to better Euphony Stylus, mainly in search of an improved interface. Stylus still wins by a significant margin.

Reactions: rbbert and dminches

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Love the roon interface but for me Audirvana sounds and works better on my MacBook Pro.

George

vintageaxeman

Jul 12, 2015
I have heard that about dCS Mosiac more than once. Unfortunately it seems it is exclusive to their product line. I just bought a Lampizator Atlantic TRP which I am very fond of so will need to fine another route.
That's what I thought...that the dCS app only works with dCS kit. So why is it being discussed in the same breath as Roon? Seems pointless.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing