Behind frisson (pronounced free-sawn) - I.E. goosebumps.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello fellow members of the WBF. I thought I would take the time to share some information about the occurrence of frisson, more commonly referred to as "goosebumps". If you find any articles, links or science behind this please feel free to share them here. I experience frisson often while listening to certain music on a rig, more so on an incredible rig or whilst listening to live music. The longest frisson I have experience lasted a full 3 minutes after listening to "Olympic Fanfare" by Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops Orchestra via a Telarc CD on an incredible sounding rig. More examples used in the test are listed in the article but feel free to also share which selections or experiences you have had that cause frisson for you. Here is the article -

http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-why-some-people-get-skin-orgasms-from-listening-to-music

Happy listening and may the goosebumps be with you. :)

Tom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hello fellow members of the WBF. I thought I would take the time to share some information about the occurrence of frisson, more commonly referred to as "goosebumps". If you find any articles, links or science behind this please feel free to share them here. I experience frisson often while listening to certain music on a rig, more so on an incredible rig or whilst listening to live music. The longest frisson I have experience lasted a full 3 minutes after listening to "Olympic Fanfare" by Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops Orchestra via a Telarc CD on an incredible sounding rig. More examples used in the test are listed in the article but feel free to also share which selections or experiences you have had that cause frisson for you. Here is the article -

http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-why-some-people-get-skin-orgasms-from-listening-to-music

Happy listening and may the goosebumps be with you. :)

Tom

frisson seems to be somewhat regular occurrence lately with my music listening. and it's is most common when I have fellow listeners as my listening is already at a higher emotional level......collective group reactions to musical wonderment seems to be an enabler to this. and I now expect the reaction to certain music even if I know it's coming.

one predictable for me (group or not) is the original Jeton pressing of the Direct to Disc of 'Moonlight Serenade', Ray Brown and Laurindo Almeida. when Ray Brown's double bass first comes in with 'Round Midnight' on the big rig I go into skin orgasm as there is (at least for the moment) complete suspension of disbelief.....I'm then carried along on the wave till the end of the cut when I'm emotionally spent.

as far as Copeland; for me it's the RR 'Oue' 'Olympic Fanfare' CD doing frisson.....I've been there a few times with that cut.

recently my Furutech dealer Joe was over installing the NFC plugs on my tape deck power cords. afterwards I offered to play a few tapes for him. one particular one was LZ IV, 'Stairway to Heaven'. the combination of maybe the (my) ultimate iconic piece of music at warp 9 with a low gen master, and then the additional startling realism of the new plugs did it for me. I was 'frisson' for awhile. Joe said he had tears and likely I did too. we both just sat there stunned speechless for a minute.

nice to hear a word for these moments. I totally get it.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
frisson seems to be somewhat regular occurrence lately with my music listening. and it's is most common when I have fellow listeners as my listening is already at a higher emotional level......collective group reactions to musical wonderment seems to be an enabler to this. and I now expect the reaction to certain music even if I know it's coming.

Makes me want to light up a cigarette, roll over and go to sleep...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Funny you bring this up as the last two days we have had a particular vehicle in the store that gives me the bumps head to toe, truly the most amazing engine note I have ever heard on or off the track, shivers me to my toes.
I have been in this business for decades and this one car knocks them all out of the park.
So yes music does it for me as well as other things in life.
There is a Blondie song called Shayla, and there is a line in that song that when she sings "I'm free but life is so cheep" (studio version) that chills me, but hey I'm weird.
Actually that whole album is remarkable on many levels.

PS. I recorded the engine on my phone I will try and post it here and you can play it on your rig and see how it sounds.
I need to strip out the video as it has license plate in it.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Such is the name of the game for me ... if the system doesn't push the buttons on myriads of different types of recordings then something is not right ...

I was just reminded of an Ike and Tina Turner CD cheapie then - this has extremely "rough"' live tracks on it, as well as studio recordings. Enormously demanding of the setup to be absolutely pristine, otherwise it slices layers of skin off your ear passages, continually - but the energy and drive that's been bottled here is quite amazing ... I'm exhausted after listening to just few tracks, in a very good way, my body is just going constantly with that intensity of music happening - best exercise, ever !!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
And they both use the word. :b ...Montreal and Paris. ...So you would see the word frisson used in French audio reviews sometimes, and also in French Canadian audio reviews.

It's like a French audiophile word if you want. ...@ an emotional (spiritual) and physical level...like Tom described in his original first post.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
And of course it can be used in various contexts to describe various feelings.

In audio (music): ...To describe an intense pleasant feeling while listening to a piece of music taking over your entire aura.
...A beautiful singer's voice, a powerful and sublime opera voice (that usually works for me). ...A cello, and sometimes a piano, a violin.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing