Audio shops in Southeast Asia

willgall

Jun 12, 2011
My wife and I will be spending about 3 weeks in Southeast Asia starting in mid-November. I am in need of a new cartridge for my Walker turntable. Given that many high-end cartridges are made in Asia, I am thinking about trying to buy one while we are on the trip. We will be visiting Singapore, Bangkok, and Hong Kong, for a few days at each location. My questions are as follows:

1. Of the 3 cities listed, is shopping, in general, more cost-effective in one compared to the others?

2. Can someone recommend a handful of dealers in these cities to seek out who have a high level of expertise on the analog end of our hobby?

3. Is there anything in particular to watch out for when dealing with dealers in that part of the world?

Thanks for any advice that you might be able to give.

Bill

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Adelphi building in SG has a ton of high end dealers , 4 floors filled with hifi shops..
no idea of how the prices compare ..I was there last in december 2013 and the pricing seemed good to me..cheaper than south africa at least..

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi Bill, in my view one can't beat HK in terms of shopping when it comes to variety and choice though I think for clothing one can't beat prices in Bangkok. For high end audio, either SG or HK....
Can't say much about HK but I am from SG and quite agree with Rodney that Adelphi in Coleman Road is probably the place to visit. at one point in time I used to virtually 'reside' in Adelphi and knew almost everyone in the bldg'. A bit out of touch now bit I can still put you onto some people I know.
As regards prices, I think it really boils down to who you are dealing with and how well you know the dealer as margins on hi end audio are typically very high leaving room for flex. From my experience, I bought my second burmester amp cheaper in South Africa than in Singapore, which says a lot although the free fall of the South African Rand is not helping things much. So all in all a tough one to call but I will be surprised if you get stuff way cheaper in Asia. I think prices have balanced quite a bit across. If at all, I think prices in the US and Europe are higher due to taxes.
Let me know and I will find out people you could meet in SG.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Where in SA are you?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Where in SA are you?

Hi Rodney,

Am based in joburg and have been since 2011. Enjoying 300 days of sunshine and bonhomie......and of course, lots of space for a dedicated music room:)

we shud catch up when possible either when you are up here or the other way around

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing