Aesthetix Io Users Group

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The lowest cartridge that I have tried is the Etsuro Gold at 0.3mV at this point. The only other low output cartridge I have on hand is the Koetsu Jade at the same output. I think my GFS is double that.

It is just clear to me that silence is impressive based solely on the PS upgrades. The tubes are the same ones I had been using prior to sending the units in.

Reactions: oldvinyl

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
This sounds very good. My Lyra Atlas is .56 and the Io is silent with the right tubes. I have been lucky to get a quad of ultra silent Telefunken in the first gain stage. Though there is some background noise, it is even lower than with the jj tubes supplied by aesthetix in 2018. Yet I am reluctant to switch to another cart with lower output. Does the new upgrade fix that?

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
No question that the original chassis is "functional" at best. I have heard the full eclipse chassis version and frankly could not tell the difference. On the other hand, from a pride of ownership point of view it wins.

I have the original chassis now upgraded to full Eclipse and and with the latest transformer and choke/wiring/PS mods. That is where the upgrade $ should go if anyone is considering it. I believe it to be greater in magnitude than the partial eclipse upgrade. It is stunning.

On the other hand, some would call me overdamped--- I have yet to re install my damping plates and VPI bricks etc since getting the Io back. I believe there to benefit to damping the chassis.
I too use the Walker Validpoints on top of the power supplies and the phono stage; 3 on each. Not really sure how much effect they have given the build of the HRS rack.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
The lowest cartridge that I have tried is the Etsuro Gold at 0.3mV at this point. The only other low output cartridge I have on hand is the Koetsu Jade at the same output. I think my GFS is double that.

It is just clear to me that silence is impressive based solely on the PS upgrades. The tubes are the same ones I had been using prior to sending the units in.
I agree - the new transformers and power supply capacitors leave barely a trace of tube rush. Also interesting is that they give the impression of reducing groove noise.

The Io is just quiet quiet quiet with these updated power supplies.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Same with the new Callisto, Don Saltzman reports.

Reactions: oldvinyl

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Interesting. And even groove noise? some kind of filtering? My Einstein The tube mk2 preamp is a champion of 'silent' but not sure i like it so much.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Interesting. And even groove noise? some kind of filtering? My Einstein The tube mk2 preamp is a champion of 'silent' but not sure i like it so much.
I honestly don't know what would give the impression of less groove noise, but it sounds that way. Maybe other folks with the latest power supply mods can weigh in on whether they notice any reduction of groove noise.

All I can say is that the Io is eerily quiet for 1) vinyl and 2) beaucoup tubes.

The power supply updates would in no way filter signal from the cartridge. So, no - I don't think power supply filtering is involved.

Reactions: OGH

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I would guess - it simply means less noise. And thereby, affecting groove noise too. And tube choices. I suspect that with this upgrade, the Io might work well with the low output carts from e g Lyra, like Atlas or Etna SL versions, but I have not heard this combination.

A question: is there a big benefit of using footers under the Io power supplies, if they already stand very solidly on their stock feet, in a stable granite rack? And if yes it makes a difference - should they be decoupling (like spring footers) or rather send the vibrations down, like cones?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
you want to isolate psus from surrounding vibes or "drain" from psu
I´d go Rubloc Trisolators which is a pro no BS isolation product I´ve used for many years
last time I demoed them for Rune Skramstad from NNNN when we tried his new transmissionline subs in my system, and he was shocked as to their isolation properties

Last edited:
Reactions: OGH

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have the largest HRS pucks under my PSs and I have what was the top HRS platform under my Io ... I have not kept up with HRS product development over the past few years.

The industrial product is interesting for sure. We have similar products in NA

My point is that I believe that you can impress better performance from good isolation on all parts of the Io and probably many other products.

On the power supply upgrade: whether you have to do it or whether you do it for an upgrade--- it offers uncanny silence for a 32 tube device - there is no noise or hiss with selected tubes. It is an order of magnitude quieter that the original Mercury Magnetics transformers. It is SS quiet. YMMV and all that.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
I would guess - it simply means less noise. And thereby, affecting groove noise too. And tube choices. I suspect that with this upgrade, the Io might work well with the low output carts from e g Lyra, like Atlas or Etna SL versions, but I have not heard this combination.

A question: is there a big benefit of using footers under the Io power supplies, if they already stand very solidly on their stock feet, in a stable granite rack? And if yes it makes a difference - should they be decoupling (like spring footers) or rather send the vibrations down, like cones?
HRS
Aesthetix uses Nimbus couplers from HRS in place of the feet for the Eclipse version. I prefer these or something like christensenleif mentioned over springs, cones or ceramic devices.

My impression is that the fancy footers help, but it is not a huge difference in my system. That’s also why I prefer the couplers - they are a reasonably priced option.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have the largest HRS pucks under my PSs and I have what was the top HRS platform under my Io ... I have not kept up with HRS product development over the past few years.

The industrial product is interesting for sure. We have similar products in NA

My point is that I believe that you can impress better performance from good isolation on all parts of the Io and probably many other products.

On the power supply upgrade: whether you have to do it or whether you do it for an upgrade--- it offers uncanny silence for a 32 tube device - there is no noise or hiss with selected tubes. It is an order of magnitude quieter that the original Mercury Magnetics transformers. It is SS quiet. YMMV and all that.
Did they change capacitors and other parts along with the transformers ? You guys have the older Io's that have been upgraded trough 20 years ?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Did they change capacitors and other parts along with the transformers ? You guys have the older Io's that have been upgraded trough 20 years ?
Hi Milan,

I got my Io update about 4-5 years ago to Eclipse at that time I got some of the electrolytic caps in the head unit and the filament smoothing electrolytic caps in the PS's changed on their recommendation. At that time it was to current parts standards.

This time I got all the Transformers changed, grounding scheme change AND they recommended new filter caps in the PS again because they said they are now are of a better quality. My service record is with them so they did some accommodation for me on the PS caps because they just did them on the Eclipse mod a few years back.

I went for the full monty.

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing