ARC REF75 problem with VU-meter lighting

Joostp

Mar 22, 2020
Netherlands
Hi,

I have been enjoying my ARC REF75 amp and LS27 pre for a some years now.
The REF75 is mostly original and i have only replaced the tubes with KT150 and reflectors 6h30. My LS27 has new caps in the power supply, some resistors replaced, new coupling caps and some other tweaks.

For some months now i have a problem with my REF75 as the led lighting of the VU meters stopped working. The leds started to flicker and slowly grew dimmer and dimmer and have stopped working now.

Maybe someone can help me out:
Has anyone encountered the same problem and been able so solve it?
Does anyone have a schematic to share of the REF75.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Without being sure where you are based and who the ARC importer is in your country, try going to Audio Research directly in the first instance and see what they advise.
Best of luck (I have the lights turned off on mine)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
When I bought mine new many years back, one of the lamps went out fairly early on. Rather than ship to ARC for repair I had them send me the part. The entire meter gets replaced, and it was somewhat more than trivial... required more disassembly than I would have liked. All told it doesn’t require a technician if you’re handy, but be prepared to ‘get into’ the amp.

Reactions: tima

Joostp

Mar 22, 2020
Netherlands
Thanks for your replies.
I contacted ARC and they sent me 4 replacement leds for $10 each (!!) and this did not solve the problem. I checked all wiring and tracing as best as i could and this seems to be ok. So i think it must be somewhere in the power supply to the leds.
I switched the lights off now but this amp just needs to be in 100% working order for me.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
As Bob says, it's not an easy repair and happened on my 75SE as well. Ultimately the lamp assembly with the vu meters was totally replaced by a local technician.

Reactions: Bobvin

Pallen

Jun 25, 2018
As Bob says, it's not an easy repair and happened on my 75SE as well. Ultimately the lamp assembly with the vu meters was totally replaced by a local technician.
Exactly my experience too on my REF 75SE. I got a technician to sort it out.

Reactions: KeithR

Joostp

Mar 22, 2020
Netherlands
Thanks, i will contact ARC again and ask for a solution. I would still like to have a schematic for future modifications, does anyone have one or have a source for this?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks, i will contact ARC again and ask for a solution. I would still like to have a schematic for future modifications, does anyone have one or have a source for this?
Need to check this - might be I have it

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I have contacted ARC about schematics for some of the newer products and was told that they were not making them available to customers after about the Ref 2 line stage.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You might need to contact a local electronics servicing company who has experience with ARC. ARC supplied a local service shop with details for my REF10 when a small cap blew.

Reactions: Pacha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing