Anyone have the Lab12 dac1 Reference R2R Tube DAC in their system?

Republicoftexas69

Looking for feedback on this DAC if anyone has or had this in their system.

Lab12 dac1 Reference R2R Tube DAC​

1645141317097.png

Republicoftexas69

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
I have only had the previous version Lab12 DAC1, curious about the upgraded Reference version as well

Republicoftexas69

I have only had the previous version Lab12 DAC1, curious about the upgraded Reference version as well
And how did you like the previous version?

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
And how did you like the previous version?
It's a really great DAC for the analog lover and for people who only listen to Jazz and acoustic music. For modern, more produced music, it lacks speed, transparency, detail, and dynamics to be satisfying. Very pleasant listen, but you'd be missing a lot of info. I replaced it with a Denafrips Terminator, which in hind-sight was not even that detailed compared to what I've owned after, but was hugely more detailed than the Lab 12 without being fatiguing or having glare.

For anyone into that kind of analog sound, I would recommend the Mojo Audio Mystique Evo above the Lab 12 DAC1. Again I haven't heard the Reference version, so maybe they've made revolutionary gains.

Reactions: NickMimi

Republicoftexas69

It's a really great DAC for the analog lover and for people who only listen to Jazz and acoustic music. For modern, more produced music, it lacks speed, transparency, detail, and dynamics to be satisfying. Very pleasant listen, but you'd be missing a lot of info. I replaced it with a Denafrips Terminator, which in hind-sight was not even that detailed compared to what I've owned after, but was hugely more detailed than the Lab 12 without being fatiguing or having glare.

For anyone into that kind of analog sound, I would recommend the Mojo Audio Mystique Evo above the Lab 12 DAC1. Again I haven't heard the Reference version, so maybe they've made revolutionary gains.
Nice thanks for the input.

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Old thread but for anyone interested I’m testing one now. I’ll get 100hrs on it before listening properly. I love the looks. But sound is everything.

Attachments

• A904089F-76C9-4FF5-9879-902AE323F757.jpeg
    A904089F-76C9-4FF5-9879-902AE323F757.jpeg
    585.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 6BE92054-7A4B-4786-918E-39B710DBCCF6.jpeg
    6BE92054-7A4B-4786-918E-39B710DBCCF6.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 14

Republicoftexas69

Old thread but for anyone interested I’m testing one now. I’ll get 100hrs on it before listening properly. I love the looks. But sound is everything.
Please do post your review after you get some time with the Lab12 DAC.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

oddioguy

Apr 30, 2023
I bought the LAB 12 back in June with a one year trade up to something 2X the price. It is a great sounding DAC, I had a feeling early on that I would be keeping it. In the context of MY system, I can't justify the cost. It sounds that good. I took the money I would have used to upgrade and bought a Sota Escape and Sutherland KC Vibe.

wrxsti

Feb 3, 2023
Hi sir :)

Iam considering both the metronome Le Dac and the Lab 12 reference. I was considering a esoteric N-05 XD before. But realized that i need a slightly relaxed, analogish sound still resplendent with details. Some reviews of the previous version of the Lab 12 dac mentioned that it lacked detail and timing. Hence, my curiosity about the later version reference dac. The metronome is another contender, judging by the reviews, it also seems to be a analogish sounding dac with excellent frequency extension at both ends. Thanks in advance for your time.

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Apologies for not writing the review of the Lab12 Ref' that I promised. TBH I couldn't find the motivation. It was 'ok'; perhaps a little more than ok bearing in mind its pricepoint. But, in my set-up and room the music didn't move me. Transients were slow, detail didn't impress and I experienced a higher frequency range troubled by metallic leading edges - digititus, if you will. I detected none of the attributes one might associate with tubes in the traditional sense i.e. presentation with a whiff of warmth etc.

It's funny you should be considering Le Dac 2 - because that is where I spent my money in the end. It's just in an entirely different league - as it should be given the cost difference. The attributes you describe as wanting in a DAC are precisely what the Metronome is all about. It's presentation is not as forward as some - a T+A 200 I had on direct comparison was very strong in this area - but musicians are certainly present enough and, unlike a very forward presentation, I can listen, happily, for hours. But that's not to say it's laid back to the point of 'sleepy'. It tends toward a slightly 'romantic' presentation. Absent are hard edges, and the kind of short, fast decays associated with the in-your-face, relentlessness which initially sounds amazing but soon wears thin. It's wonderful with, particularly, solo vocals and classical, but it rocks and clubs, too. Piano is a great test of any dac/system - Le Dac 2 does it true and authentic. Ultimately, it revealed a deep level of emotion in the music to which it connected me - and you can't ask for more than that.

What's become a big deal is the Metronome's i2s input. I've always struggled with USB's frequently negative impact on smoothness. I bought a used Marix X spdif, powered by S Booster (goes between Melco server and Le Dac) so I could test the i2s input and it's unquestionably another step up. The USB input on the Le Dac is by no means deficient, but I did find sound to relax and smoothen further via i2s. The Matrix clock/FPGA processing may be playing a part in this, too. Detail seems to rise a little across all frequencies and I can see 'into' the music further. I won't go back to direct USB. Metronome have just launched a streamer and, though I don't need one per se, I will try it in place of the Matrix to see if its i2s output produces a result even better than that of the Matrix.

I absolutely recommend you demo' the Metronome. I reviewed it here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/metronome-le-dac-2-review.37030/#post-888412

Attachments

• A821BF70-059D-485F-A7E2-E2E0839CE77B.jpeg
    A821BF70-059D-485F-A7E2-E2E0839CE77B.jpeg
    779 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

wrxsti

Feb 3, 2023
Apologies for not writing the review of the Lab12 Ref' that I promised. TBH I couldn't find the motivation. It was 'ok'; perhaps a little more than ok bearing in mind its pricepoint. But, in my set-up and room the music didn't move me. Transients were slow, detail didn't impress and I experienced a higher frequency range troubled by metallic leading edges - digititus, if you will. I detected none of the attributes one might associate with tubes in the traditional sense i.e. presentation with a whiff of warmth etc.

It's funny you should be considering Le Dac 2 - because that is where I spent my money in the end. It's just in an entirely different league - as it should be given the cost difference. The attributes you describe as wanting in a DAC are precisely what the Metronome is all about. It's presentation is not as forward as some - a T+A 200 I had on direct comparison was very strong in this area - but musicians are certainly present enough and, unlike a very forward presentation, I can listen, happily, for hours. But that's not to say it's laid back to the point of 'sleepy'. It tends toward a slightly 'romantic' presentation. Absent are hard edges, and the kind of short, fast decays associated with the in-your-face, relentlessness which initially sounds amazing but soon wears thin. It's wonderful with, particularly, solo vocals and classical, but it rocks and clubs, too. Piano is a great test of any dac/system - Le Dac 2 does it true and authentic. Ultimately, it revealed a deep level of emotion in the music to which it connected me - and you can't ask for more than that.

What's become a big deal is the Metronome's i2s input. I've always struggled with USB's frequently negative impact on smoothness. I bought a used Marix S/pdif, powered by S Booster (goes between Melco server and Le Dac) so I could test the i2s input and it's unquestionably another step up. The USB input on the Le Dac is by no means deficient, but I did find sound to relax and smoothen further via i2s. The Matrix clock/FPGA processing may be playing a part in this, too. Detail seems to rise a little across all frequencies and I can see 'into' the music further. I won't go back to direct USB. Metronome have just launched a streamer and, though I don't need one per se, I will try it in place of the Matrix to see if its i2s output produces a result even better than that of the Matrix.

I absolutely recommend you demo' the Metronome. I reviewed it here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/metronome-le-dac-2-review.37030/#post-888412
Thanks a ton for taking the time to pen such a detailed reply sir. Much appreciated :)

I did read your review before and your goodselves described the sound very aptly, actually a lot better than a lot of professional reviewers. Ever since, I've been very very interested, as Iam looking to move away from a analytical / hyper detailed presentation to a more musical, slightly analogish sound. Smooth, but not entirely rounded. Detailed and dynamic, but not in your face. I was considering the Aqua La scala optologic, Metronome Le dac, Primaluna evo 100 dac and the Lab12. Ive struck off the primaluna and the Lab12 so far, for sounding too rounded. From your description alone, the Metronome Le dac and Aqua are the main contenders now. Will definitely try to audition both. Thanks

I just loved this description. Just what I was looking for - ". I don't know how they do that because you might think that it would require a DAC to be rolled-off in the highs & less resolving; but Dac 2 is neither of these. A hot track will still be hot - just not quite as unplayably so. I find piano a great test of a DAC's potential to be too hard or harsh or thin etc. Piano on this DAC is a delight. The low keys are dense, full & warm; the high keys are just correct with no irritant. Overall, piano is utterly believable & moving"

Reactions: eagle33331

Rolf G

Sep 17, 2023
Norway
I‘v been playing 4 months now on L12 dac 1 ref , replaced the tubes with Phillips E88cc HQ gold pin. This is not a heavy and «devilrock» dac, but a dac that gives pleasure to most of the Music, fast and slow jazz, Classic ,modern jazz and all of popmusic.In my system the L12 Dac1 ref have been compered with Chord- Border Patrol- Mytek and Veridian dacs in the same price range.This is a dac that plays Music !!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wrxsti

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing