Any suggestions for XLR interconnect between pre and power amp?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Looking to get a better balanced cable from my Ref 3 to the VT-100. Any suggestions for something under $500?

Thanks,
Lee

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Mogami Gold. The entire premise behind CMNR cables is you don't need anything esoteric. It's all in the engineering standard.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Looking to get a better balanced cable from my Ref 3 to the VT-100. Any suggestions for something under $500?

Thanks,
Lee

..absolutely...the Cerious Graphene Extremes. Google Cerious Technologies for details. I have 2 prs of these guys and they've bettered the Acoustic Zen Silver Ref 2, the Analysis Plus Solo Crystals and a $5K IC that will go unnamed. I am officially off the IC merry-go-round..

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I agree with the recommendation of the Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme cables. I recently purchased three pair of their XLR ICs and they're superb sounding on an absolute performance basis and offer an exceptional value. I also got a couple of the GE low current power cords for my Luxman C-900u preamp and Audia Flight Phono and they're excellent as well. Beautifully and very professionally finished, these don't look like many other cables in the market. After hearing these and learning about the amount of labor involved in constructing them, I really can't understand how they can offer them at such reasonable prices. There is some very unique and innovative engineering being used in their construction, unlike many other cable "manufacturers" who just cut their wire off a spool and terminate it. Bob Grost is also a pleasure to deal with, and some of you may remember him from many years ago as the owner of Unity Audio speakers. Definitely worth checking out!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I agree with the recommendation of the Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme cables. I recently purchased three pair of their XLR ICs and they're superb sounding on an absolute performance basis and offer an exceptional value. I also got a couple of the GE low current power cords for my Luxman C-900u preamp and Audia Flight Phono and they're excellent as well. Beautifully and very professionally finished, these don't look like many other cables in the market. After hearing these and learning about the amount of labor involved in constructing them, I really can't understand how they can offer them at such reasonable prices. There is some very unique and innovative engineering being used in their construction, unlike many other cable "manufacturers" who just cut their wire off a spool and terminate it. Bob Grost is also a pleasure to deal with, and some of you may remember him from many years ago as the owner of Unity Audio speakers. Definitely worth checking out!

..amen Bill...I'd be willing to bet that Bob's ICs will beat or at the very least equal anything out there regardless of price. I'd like to compare his speaker cables to the Verbatim ribbon cables I'm currently running...

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I'd really hoped that a fully balanced rig would be insensitive to interconnects, but after trying several cables I discovered that all except Darwin Truths sounded pretty much the same (actually there were 3 tiers: 1) Truths, 2) a bunch of other medium to high-priced ICs, and 3) Phoenix gold, Monoprice, and generic mic XLRs , which were decidedly inferior to everything else). While the Mogami cables are excellent for the money, I ultimately chose Darwin Truth interconnects. The truths are phenomenal in my system.

The Truths (Darwin's top of the line) are above your budget, but their Silver cable is well under $500, and their Ascension is a bit over your budget at $695. I have not listened to the Ascensions or Silvers, but they've gotten good reviews here and elsewhere.

http://darwincables.com/

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
I would like to find the person that could pick this all apart when properly blinded.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Mogami Gold. The entire premise behind CMNR cables is you don't need anything esoteric. It's all in the engineering standard.

I don't understand the main point here. I agree Mogami are a good choice in the under $50 range (I assume the point is not that all cables sound the same).

Thank you to MauiDan for the shout-out on the Nanotec cables. I'm happy to offer a product that has no peer in the same price range and was very happy to unload all the $2K power cables in the Jaguar Reference System and replace them with the inexpensive Nanotec #308.

I find Graphene intriguing and think it will start to be much more common in cables. One of our manufacturers has been working with the product, but hasn't found a use that he felt outperformed his current technology. If I understand correctly, he felt finding a cost effective way to apply the substance is the main challenge. Theoretically he'd like to apply the Graphene in a 1-atom-thick layer and the typical method of mixing the substance in a solution doesn't come close to that level of precision.

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
I don't understand the main point here. I agree Mogami are a good choice in the under $50 range (I assume the point is not that all cables sound the same).

My main point is taking two cables and performing a sighted evaluation and pronouncing the more expensive cable as the winner is simply the emperor has new clothes.

Do you have any real data points to show the performance improvement?

The real issue is the OP needs to be spending about $2000 per interconnect to really get an appreciable difference. All the $500 and $600 is just junk. Count yourself lucky if you can't hear the difference. Me, I heard it as clear as night and day. My wife was down the hall and asked what were those new cables I was listening to.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
The balanced interconnect system is very robust and with short cables all reasonable Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cables. But concert hall records and live theater sound sometimes use cables up to 100 meters long. In those cases there are differences so for long cables it's best to use bulk cable made by major cable manufactures like Belden and Mogami. It takes big expensive machines and a diligent quality control department to make the best cables.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Interesting idea. I may try that, thanks.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
..absolutely...the Cerious Graphene Extremes. Google Cerious Technologies for details. I have 2 prs of these guys and they've bettered the Acoustic Zen Silver Ref 2, the Analysis Plus Solo Crystals and a $5K IC that will go unnamed. I am officially off the IC merry-go-round..

I cannot find a website for them or a current price on google or audiogon.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Okay, I saw the link. Cerious needs some search engine optimization. :)

$1,200 is more than I want to spend for now.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You should be able to find 100 ft. of Belden, with good quality connectors, for about $100. Short runs? Why balanced?

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Thanks,
Lee

You asked the question in the proper way, specifying your excellent components. Unfortunately most people ignore the specificity of your equipment and make generic suggestions for balanced cables, based in common mode noise rejection of balanced systems. As Ralph Karsten of Atmasphere has several times referred in this forum Audio Research equipment is not fully balanced. IMHO in this case recommendations must be based in experience with the equipment and cables, as they do make a lot of difference. What type of changes and improvements are you aiming when changing?

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
You asked the question in the proper way, specifying your excellent components. Unfortunately most people ignore the specificity of your equipment and make generic suggestions for balanced cables

Most people are going to answer the specific question posed. I'm not about to start researching everyone's laundry list when they ask for something specific.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing