Any good budget turntable to recommend with G7.2p and Jadis i35?

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
Hi everyone,

as above?

Just wanted to find out what turntable matches the g7.2p and Jadis i35 well?

Thanks much!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
We use a Rega P5 at the PNWAS with Genesis speakers. It does benefit with platter/bearing upgrades though.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Both the Genesis 7.2p and the Jadis i35 are very good at musicality and exceptionally coherent. The combination won't have the bass macro dynamics of a big solid-state amp and a ported speaker, but you won't miss much in a small room.

For that combination, I would prefer a musical, coherent turntable over one that has "better bass". For a budget t/t I highly recommend the Roksan Radius 5 at less than $2,000. That turntable totally kicks the butt of everything I have heard even up to twice the price.

The club's Rega P5 is OK, but it needs a lot of work and upgrades and still won't approach the Radius.

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
Hi Bruce & Gary,

Thank you for the recommendations! Will definitely check them out!

Do you have any experience with the Merrill Replica ES-R1? Do you think it will suit the g7.2p & i35 combi?

Thanks.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I must not be a seasoned audiophile, because I have never tried to match a turntable to other components in my system. Perhaps it makes a difference for those with truly hi-end gear and the ears to match, but I can't see it making a difference. Maybe I need to get re-edumacated or start auditioning more. It would be nice of I could hear 2 turntables with the same arm and the same cartridge and the same preamp. Other than that I remain sceptical.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I must not be a seasoned audiophile, because I have never tried to match a turntable to other components in my system. Perhaps it makes a difference for those with truly hi-end gear and the ears to match, but I can't see it making a difference. Maybe I need to get re-edumacated or start auditioning more. It would be nice of I could hear 2 turntables with the same arm and the same cartridge and the same preamp. Other than that I remain sceptical.

I've had the same arm and carts on three different tables with the same phonocable and phonostage. There's a difference Johnny :) Heck even something as seemingly trivial as a change of mats can make a difference. Oh, and your system is definitely no slouch. I'm pretty certain you will hear it. Wether what you hear is better or just different is another story. :)

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
VPI has some nice tables in that range.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've had the same arm and carts on three different tables with the same phonocable and phonostage. There's a difference Johnny :) Heck even something as seemingly trivial as a change of mats can make a difference. Oh, and your system is definitely no slouch. I'm pretty certain you will hear it. Wether what you hear is better or just different is another story. :)

I think I eluded to that in my post, although not very well. If I could hear that comparison, then I believe I would probably notice a difference. My skepticism (not well explained) comes from matching a turntable to a system. Is a Nottingham better for my system than a Linn? An Oracle? A Roksan? How do you determine that when you can't do the physical comparison. And yes, mats do make a difference.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Well, I don't know if it's the same "wisdom" here in the US, but over in Asia, from what I have heard anyway, German tables have the reputation to be colder and more dynamic, American tables are warmer and have better bass, and British tables are more involving and exciting. With the Genesis turntable, I generally do not recommend a warmer or more bass.

Linn systems have the reputation of bringing more bass to lean British loudspeakers. On Genesis speakers - especially yours, it might sound a bit too boomy. So, the Nottingham would be a better match to your loudspeakers than a Linn.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I need to get out and audition more Gary, me thinks! Oh, and I'm perfectly happy with my Nottingham and the G7's. :D.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
funk firm LSD , Project 6 perspex & roksan radius all excellent & under $2000

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
running a LSD with a ortofon per winfeld at present Total Giant Killer of a turntable

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
Thanks for your very kind replies everyone.

Will definitely check out the TTs. Can I also ask which phono preamp would you pair with a Funk Firm, Project 6 or Roksan Radius?

There's just so many options available. Spoilt for choice. Would you care to share your experiences if any? Thanks!

tj

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
run my LSD via a sanders sound systems pre amp

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing