Any experience with Shunyata ?tron

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXwRTzJZ7Y0

I had the Viper ?tron power cord in for evaluation and it didn't last more than 2 minutes, given its substandard construction (Marinco plugs, ability to see into each plug's bare wires from the input hole, i.e. lack of basic protection).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was at CES last year when Caleb showed us the same test which sure looked impressive. He also had a live guitar player in the room playing through a guitar amp using a regular cable and then one of their Etron cables and the sound was clearly different

We didn't get to see the build quality however

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Have a Viper coming soon, did you listen to it? What component if so?

I didn't, couldn't stand looking at it, cheaply made.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have no experience with the new cables, but if your cable was representative, it seems to be a back step. Their old cables had high standard quality - even the cheaper Diamond had great assembly quality. As far as I remember the cheaper lines had molded connectors and were very safe. According to your description it seems some sealing accessories were missing in your plug - Marinco power plugs are manufactured to be used in harsh environments and most are even water proof. They are considered a standard worldwide.

I find it even more strange because the new lines are sold in Europe and a cable having the problems you refer could never get a EC certification. Let us hope Shunyata solves the problem fast - IMHO they represent excellent value for money, and I appreciate a lot their performance with Audio Research electronics. Perhaps some lucky WBF member who is now traveling to the CES 2013 can ask them directly about this issue. :)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have no experience with the new cables, but if your cable was representative, it seems to be a back step. Their old cables had high standard quality - even the cheaper Diamond had great assembly quality. As far as I remember the cheaper lines had molded connectors and were very safe. According to your description it seems some sealing accessories were missing in your plug - Marinco power plugs are manufactured to be used in harsh environments and most are even water proof. They are considered a standard worldwide.

I find it even more strange because the new lines are sold in Europe and a cable having the problems you refer could never get a EC certification. Let us hope Shunyata solves the problem fast - IMHO they represent excellent value for money, and I appreciate a lot their performance with Audio Research electronics. Perhaps some lucky WBF member who is now traveling to the CES 2013 can ask them directly about this issue. :)

The Viper seems to be the exception in the new line. The older Copperhead - which is what I am really looking for - is much better constructed with similar Marinco plugs, is shielded, and you can't see the bare wires. So yes, a step back. My cable was drop-shipped directly from Shunyata. Related to this, they demonstrate square-wave pulse response at 10kHz - I would be very interested to see same response at 60Hz ; said otherwise, isn't marketing grand? Having said that, the previous CX series power cords are just superb.

Last edited:

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I have used the last 4 generations of Shunyata power cables among others. I find the new ?tron series to be the best I have experienced. I am speaking in terms of sound, not looks. I am using the ?tron Anacondas though and construction, at least to me, is first rate.

Tubedoctor

Dec 12, 2012
I have had tested Shunyata Etron power cord series with the new power distribution Hydra systems very hard, because i often changes the cords to compare. At the end i can say that i have pulled each cord about 50 times in and out of the sockets and had no problems with them. I find them much better than their older series

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am having that Viper contraption exchanged for a properly constructed Copperhead (of which I currently already have one); also, the Viper is 11 awg, the Copperhead 10.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing