Any Audiophiles/HT Enthusiasts in Western Connecticut?

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
My area seems to be devoid of audiophiles, excepting Kal and Ethan. I am wondering if there are any others lurking around here on WBF who are wondering where all the CT audiophiles are?
Anyone interested in forming an audiophile society/group, even if it's informal?
I'm willing to provide a hum/meeting place for periodic meetings, screenings, etc.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
They are out there, of course, even if not in beautiful downtown New Milford. If you are serious about promoting this, you need to put out the message on many forums, not just here. AVS is the elephant in the room.

Kal

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Kal, AVS kicked me off their forums 3 years ago for allegedly engaging in copyright infringement by the use of random frame grabs from a certain camcorder model in a page I published on my own web site that compares camcorder video quality. The owner wrote some nastygram via IM, waited five minutes for me to reply (I wasn't near the computer to know of the original IM) and then pulled the plug on my account without hearing my side of the story. Yes, they're a big forum, but their management are quick to be judge, jury and executioner and skip the trial.

Steve, thanks for that offer. If we ever get something off the ground. I hate 'formal' groups with meetings and minutes, treasurers and bylaws. I was thinking something more informal and friendly and less steeped in internal politics and self-agrandizement. My wife's part of such a group and it really makes me sick to sit through their formalities, as each "officer" gets up to preen themselves and make a speech with an air of meaningless self-importance, so I've stopped going to her group's meetings. I wouldn't want my group to turn out like that. Just a group of music lover/audiophiles getting together periodically to enjoy good music, or maybe a movie, and have open discussion about audio, music, tech Q&A, etc.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Just a group of music lover/audiophiles getting together periodically to enjoy good music, or maybe a movie, and have open discussion about audio, music, tech Q&A, etc.
If you ever make it out here to the Bay Area, please let Steve and me know. What you just described is exactly what we have.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
My wife's relatives live mostly in California... the last time I was out that way was in May 2000. I stopped flying after the TSA was born and won't fly again until it's disbanded. If the wife and daughter decide to embark on a cross-country expedition, I'll surely include you in the list of stops. We did a similar expedition to Florida in 2005. Traveling by car is a great way to sight-see and meet people.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal, AVS kicked me off their forums 3 years ago for allegedly engaging in copyright infringement by the use of random frame grabs from a certain camcorder model in a page I published on my own web site that compares camcorder video quality. The owner wrote some nastygram via IM, waited five minutes for me to reply (I wasn't near the computer to know of the original IM) and then pulled the plug on my account without hearing my side of the story. Yes, they're a big forum, but their management are quick to be judge, jury and executioner and skip the trial.
I have had run-ins with them and others but, after they removed the offending post, left me on. On one forum, I responded to a post with "Nonsense!" not knowing it was made by the owner/moderator who promptly dinged me. I said that, indeed, his post was nonsense and that if he cared to debate the issue. in public or private, I was game for it. He let me off with a warning. Another threatened me for mentioning and linking to another audio forum and I told him to delete the offending link but he would be acting like an ostrich by doing so. Another refused my sig which I use for identification. He said it constituted advertising and that Stereophile should pay for it as do their other advertisers. All that smells like desperation to me.

So, if you want to cobble together an invitational post for other forums, I would be happy to be your conduit to the AVS audience.

Kal

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Probably because they were too chicken to kick off a major magazine editor. But me, I'm just a nobody to them, so when somebody started a thread about my camcorder comparison page because they recognized a frame grab from one of the members camcorder test shots, I chimed in and soon the owner of the site decided to use that as an excuse to delete my account. The sordid details are here if anyone wants to see how idiotic their actions were. That whole mess even spilled on to DVinfo.net, of which I was NOT a member, ever. That forum PRE-BANNED me from ever joining, as a result. I was going to sue them for libel, but then after thinking about it, I realized I'd already given them too much credibility as it was.

Another forum, I think it was Home Theater Shack, after I'd been a member for over a year, suddenly informed me that I could not have a signature that contained a URL to my livelihood. I yanked all my posts and self-banned, when they demonstrated an unwillingness to stop that nonsense. I'd had the same sig line since joining a year earlier and they one day suddenly decided to tell me it was disallowed. Anyways, they're a bunch of bible-thumpers over there.. which I discovered after analyzing their ToS, which still doesn't explicitly ban commercial URLs in taglines, but has that buried deep into scores of paragraphs. I called them out on it and they refused to fix it, so good riddance to them too.

So, now that I have that off my chest... I think your offer is most gracious and I thank you for that. I guess that means I need to write up a well-defined announcement stating the purpose of the group, the nature of the meetings, places and times. I'm open to suggestions about what to include in this announcement, to give it the best chance of garnering interest and success.

I do know of one other audiophile in the Meriden area.. I spoke to him on the phone about his Wilsons about five years ago--he was a friend of one of the tech advisors at the radio station where I did engineering services at the time. It was kind of an awkward conversation because I had stopped following most audio publications after 1982, and had not heard of a new company called Wilson at that time. But at least I had first-hand knowledge of one other audiophile in the Meriden, CT area. I'm sure there are others, but many may be secluded or reclusive types. I live with a mile of some of the wealthiest people in America.. down along the lake. The president of a major toy mfgr, the president of CBS Records (met him in 1979 through a mutual friend), a famous television personality, etc. Whether any of these folks are audiophiles, I don't know, but they certainly could afford to be.

My wish is to find other like-minded audiophiles and spend time together auditioning recordings, talking about gear, and watching movies.
It's seems that audiophiles around here are about as rare as parrot owners, which I am, too. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing