Analogue Productions - Duke Ellington's Masterpieces

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I can count on one hand how many times I have been moved so much that I just had to post a suggestion / review of a recording. I generally keep them to myself and leave the reviews for others. This is one of those times, I just have to share.

I sat down to listen with friends and Analogue Productions' recent release of Duke Ellington's Masterpieces was the first thing pulled. We played it on my Wave Kinetics NVS Turntable with Durand Telos Tonearm and Ortofon Anna Cartridge. The loudspeakers were my Evolution Acoustics MMTwos.

All I can say is right from the first note of the fist song on the lp, "Moon Indigo" we were stunned and spewing expletives that would have embarrassed Richard Pryor. I do not ever remember hearing horns as alive sounding as this record produced. Every song was amazing!

My dad used to tell me that Ellington was the greatest, not just because he was an amazing musician and composer, but also because of his ability to keep the finest musicians of his day with his band. He made everyone feel special and was so generous with his compliments to the press about their abilities they just wanted to play for him. Ben Webster, Johnny Hodges, Barney Bigard, Oscar Pettiford, Billy Strayhorn and Clark Terry were just a few.

You absolutely need to go online immediately and order this record. It has moved into my top five recordings and might even be in my top two.

Enjoy!

number95

May 14, 2014
I can count on one hand how many times I have been moved so much that I just had to post a suggestion / review of a recording. I generally keep them to myself and leave the reviews for others. This is one of those times, I just have to share.

I sat down to listen with friends and Analogue Productions' recent release of Duke Ellington's Masterpieces was the first thing pulled. We played it on my Wave Kinetics NVS Turntable with Durand Telos Tonearm and Ortofon Anna Cartridge. The loudspeakers were my Evolution Acoustics MMTwos.

All I can say is right from the first note of the fist song on the lp, "Moon Indigo" we were stunned and spewing expletives that would have embarrassed Richard Pryor. I do not ever remember hearing horns as alive sounding as this record produced. Every song was amazing!

My dad used to tell me that Ellington was the greatest, not just because he was an amazing musician and composer, but also because of his ability to keep the finest musicians of his day with his band. He made everyone feel special and was so generous with his compliments to the press about their abilities they just wanted to play for him. Ben Webster, Johnny Hodges, Barney Bigard, Oscar Pettiford, Billy Strayhorn and Clark Terry were just a few.

You absolutely need to go online immediately and order this record. It has moved into my top five recordings and might even be in my top two.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. Is that mono recording?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

number95

May 14, 2014

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes it is, but I played it with a stereo cart and it was still as described!

Do you have a MONO switch on your amps or was this straight stereo?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This LP is getting some great press recently. MF was waxing about it as well. It's now on my short list. Thanks JTinn.

BTW, anyone here have the original pressing, supposedly pretty great too.

Last edited:

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
This LP is getting some great press recently. MF was waxing about it as well. It's now on my short list. Thanks JTinn.

BTW, anyone here have the original pressing, supposedly pretty great too.

I also have the original, but it is no where near as quite as the Analogue Production release.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I played it straight stereo.

I've heard about distortion coming through when playing MONO LP's in straight stereo, so I'm pleased to hear that's not the case here. Will put the LP in my want list! Thanks!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I can vouch for it being jaw-dropping good!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Fremer also mentioned this one in a review, in passing. I found a copy for 6 bucks (a dollar an eye)? It is also very good.

number95

May 14, 2014

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Both Masterpieces and The Sound of Jazz are great, but Masterpieces is on another plane. Absolutely amazing. Masterpieces actually got me thinking about adding a second mono turntable rig it's that good.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing